Nissan Titan Forum banner

Four wheel drive

11K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Smoke05 
#1 ·
I select fourwheel drive on the switch and it makes a clicking sound when I slow down it stops but wont go in four wheel I checked the actuator and it seems to cycle in and out. Has anyone had this issue.

#2 ·
4hi or 4lo???

#4 ·
So you're saying when you engage 4Hi you hear a constant clicking noise as you drive, which stops when you stop the truck and, I assume, the clicking noise slows as you slow the truck?

Does the 4WD light come on? What happens with the 4WD diagram next to the odometer? A few clicks are normal to engage 4Hi, but constant clicks are not normal and the 4WD system should indicate a malfunction on the dash.

#6 ·
Which indicator light?

One is a 4WD engaged indicator light and another is a 4WD malfunction light. Try to be as specific as possible when describing the problem as well as relaying how you're determining whether or not 4WD is actually engaged. So far your info is pretty vague.

#7 ·
sounds like your actuator might not be fully engaging. Low fluid or bad actuator could be you culprit. 25K miles you need to visit Nissan

#8 ·
Ok the four wheel light comes on but when I give it gas it spins only the rear tires on the ice in Alaska, when I go back into two wheel drive the light goes to two wheel. When going down the road a speed and select four wheel it makes a clicking sound as I slow down so does the clicking sound when I come to a stop it quits and as I speed up in four wheel the sound is not their but I am still in tow wheel cause when I give it more gas only rear tires spin. I have a ! light that came on and dont know what it means.

#9 ·
"The four wheel light"?

If it's the "4WD" light then that is the malfunction indicator light, this should NOT come on when using 4WD. I just want to make sure we're all clear on what's happening and that it doesn't indicate that you're in 4WD via the diagram when it actually isn't.

If it's the diagram of the axles that lights up the front tires in the diagram then that is your actual 2WD/4WD indicator light.

If you DON'T get the "4WD" light and the diagram DOES indicate 4WD is engaged then your problem is outside of the transfer-case.

Time to visit your dealer in either case since it's apparent you do have a problem, I was trying to isolate where the problem might be but it was difficult since you weren't being very specific in describing the actual lights that come on as there are multiple lights, not just one, related to 4WD.

#11 ·
Check your front axles to make sure they are still fully inserted into the differential.

#13 ·
Mine did this exact thing when I lost the clip to the axle and it wore the diff housing until it leaked. Turn knob, light illuminated like it was in 4wd, heard clicking from under the truck in the transfer case area and only RWD. No error light but the transfer case would not engage as it would get conflicting responses from the front diff. Dealer replaced frond axle only and problem went away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.