Nissan Titan Forum banner

2016 Nissan Titan Likes/Dislikes: Lets Hear It!

25K views 108 replies 41 participants last post by  James.J 
#1 ·
Now that the big reveal has passed with a wealth of information out and available, what are some things you like/dislike about it?

#3 ·
Like: Two Tone
Dislike: No large rear sliding window??? Is it power at least?

Like: Color Options so far
Dislike: No bright blue color like the other mfg's offer

Like: Beefy Rear End
Dislike: Fuel Door placement, interferes with fender flare

Like: Cummins
Dislike: Ford-style grille

Like: Headlights/Taillights
Dislike: Tow Hook Location/Design

Like: Sits more "level" than the previous Gen
Dislike: Lack of use of the new Titan logo thingy on exterior

Like: Column Shifter, more storage
Dislike: Still has giant blind spot

Like: Mirrors
Dislike: they haven't shown us a version with smaller mirrors

#5 ·
Love the interior. Huge upgrade from what you gave us before. Like the integrated EBC. Like the integrated bed lights. Like the upgraded brake rotor sizes, transmission cooler, radiator cooling capacity. Like the optional LED head/tail lights. Like the placement of the 7 Pin connection. Like the optional gooseneck hitch. Like that you can finally close off the two center HVAC vents completely.

Don't like the front quarter panel FAKE side vents. Don't like proprietary axles and transmissions, you're killing the aftermarket chances for those items. Don't like the chrome tailgate bar on the upper trim level, and the two-tone paint just doesn't work, at least in the colors you've shown us. Don't like the small interior door handles. Not really sure about the creases fore and aft on the sides. Would have been nice to see something like our current model's shoulders and hips carried over, there were enough other changes (notably in the "face" and backend of the truck) visually that it would still be quite distinct. Don't like column shift only, but I understand your decision.

Wishes include an integrated rear bumper step. 8 lug wheels, I mean come on, you robbed the NV parts bin for so many other things. Wished for more than a 6 speed. Perhaps you'll do better in the non-XD models?

Hope you don't tie up some of the nicer upgrades in such big packages.

More will follow if I think of anything.

Reactions: HRTKD and David.T
#7 ·
Bring back two colors for this generation. Canteen and Sedona.

#9 ·
Looking more and more at the grill, it is Ford like but not really a copy. Notice the inner bars are thick, outer are thin. Ford had more uniformity. Also the size of the grill was probably dictated by the Cummins. Only so many ways you can make a grill. If there were no vertical features, too many vertical features or they were too thick it would just look awkward. The headlights wrap around more than the Ford's do, a bit like the current Titan and had to be large to match the grill.

#11 ·
Likes: Interior!, Heavy duty hardware (frame, differential, axle, etc.), the overall grill and headlights have really grown on me...took a day or two but now love the big aggressive front-end, like the taller stance as well, tailgate, love remote start and keyless entry, love that you still kept the pro4X package with the locking diff,

Dislikes: Cummins Badge-looks cheesy and awkward, really miss the large sliding rear window-one of my favorite parts of my 2012, two-tone paint scheme...need to DEFINITELY offer single tone paint as well!

More than anything though I am just really curious about what's to come...want to see the regular half ton Titan and really excited to hear about the gas engine options. Would also be really cool to have a PRO4X plus package to compete more with the Rebel, TRDPro and even the raptor sometime down the line.

#13 ·

dislikes: looks to much like a ford. specifically the F250. similar headlight shape, similar windows with the drop for the mirrors, similar lettering in the grill, similar fender badge, same name for the luxury model (platinum) all they way down to the same chrome tailgate, and the badge on the console lid. the front end looks too "smiley" maybe? everything seems to be swept up. it reminds me of European pickups styling. the two tone paint is so ford as well.

I hope the gasser has a smaller front end, similar to how the 1500/2500 chevy/gmc trucks are.

european truck example

compare ford to nissan

#14 · (Edited)
I like how the trailer 7 pin connection has been moved up into the bumper.
The lights in the bed are good, but I would like to see more of them.
The interior looks good. More storage is always a good thing.
Integrated trailer brake controller is very nice, as long as it works as good as my Prodigy.

The Cummins vent/badge has to go. A simple logo on the door will do.
I don't like tail lights that stick out. I would like to see them conform to the body.
No finned rear differential cover?
I'll miss my console shifter. :(
Too much chrome. The faux chrome on my '07 Titan doesn't hold up well to the mag chloride and it ends up with rust-like spots.

Is the hood and the grille one piece? It kind of looks that way. Initially I didn't like the front end, but I'm warming up to it.

#15 ·
Dislike: the grill
Need a trim that has all black accents including the grill
Get rid of the "vent" thing

Needs a trim with an aggressive stance. Aka the pro4x model should be more off road capable and in appearance

Front end too bulbous

There should be a Qi charging dock

Consider storage in the tailgate with drop and lift assist
Storage anywhere in the bed much farther than the tailgate will not be accessible. I have never seen storage in the tailgate but would be very convenient.

Insain Fabrication made my bumper

#16 · (Edited)
I like the interior except for no console shifter, hopefully that will continue to be an option.

Not a fan of the front end, why all truck makers think that it is important to give it the look of a Mack or Kenworth puzzles me and it just doesn't work on a pick up truck.

If you were going to model off of an existing front end, look hard at the Raptor instead of the F150 or Ram or Tundra. Square it off mold the front fenders and headlight into a smooth flow, without the bulbous, I just ate Godzilla, look. Tone down the chrome, use just enough to highlight not overpower. How about some style instead of trying to look gigantic? Get rid of the curves in the sides, front and rear, straight line looks better to me.

I hope you keep the "push back into the seat" performance, that sold me on the First Gen Titan.

#17 ·
Like:
- Good lighting for truck bed; hope it doesn't drain the battery like the cargo light does
- The mirrors, and the blinker in it for safer towing
- Good grille

Dislike
- Cummins vent
- Lower front needs a billet grille too, to keep road FOD from hitting radiator and tranny cooler lines
- Not a fan of two tone exteriors. I can buy a Ford if I want it.
- Hate the two tone interior.
- Hate faux wood interiors. If I had to get it, I'd look for replacement pieces from lower trims to change it out. That's how much I hate faux wood.
- Tail lights look weird, like they're going for a transformers thing.
- Can't really tell for sure from the pics, but the front end looks a tad bit too big for the rear of the truck. I understand it has to be a bit bigger for the Cummins, but it reminds me of those muscle dudes who don't work their legs as much.

Questions:
- Gooseneck concept is cool, but will that be the standard for Big Tow, and a hitch add will be extra?
- Says they towed over 5 tons. So what? My 07 BT can tow 9200. Not seeing why it would be worth the extra expense for just a couple thousand pounds more.
- What's the load capacity? We've discussed the weak numbers in the current gen ad nauseam, but I want to know what this will be rated for.

Reactions: HRTKD
#18 ·
Almost everything about the new Titan for me is impressive so far. IMO they addressed the issues that have been a problem with the first generation Titan. Interior looks nice and clean and modern. The gas powered engines are still a mystery so I might change my opinion once they are available.

Dislikes:
No console shifter. Biggest interior selling feature for my 05 was bucket seats and the shifter on the console.

When I purchased my T back in 05 there was no competition. Nothing looked as nice as a fulled loaded LE off-road Titan. Today things are different every pickup truck (except for Honda) has a nice looking fully loaded truck. Nissan was going to have a hard time taking away a 40+ thousand dollar sale from Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota so hopefully this is the truck that can do it.

#19 ·
Since somebody has mentioned tailgates, is there going to be some kind of assist step?

Even though I have wrecked ACLs in both knees, I still have work to do, and this business of sitting down on the gate to get up/down is getting as old as I am...

#20 ·
Who ever said that the front quarter panel is nice needs to be FIRED. It is so unacceptable that some guys on here have fixed with Microsoft paint. Diane said the old trucks were play trucks. She is a moron. People haul stuff all the time with there trucks. Weather it's work or play the Truck is working. To make it more work ready there are a lot of things that would help. Exterior looks like a bloated Suzuki equator. The basterd child of the frontier. No center console shifter for spit cups f-in b.s. I chew and would rather have it off the column. In the documentary the guys said he'd talk to truck owners and he probably never talked to a titan of owner or a titan forum. Nissan went conservative in ever facet of design. Unacceptable after ten years. I love nissan. 1991 I have owned a nissan pulsar and a 98 pathfinder. Since 2005 I have owned 3 frontiers, 2 Xterras and 2 Titans. I love nissan for being different innovative and not settling for stale and mundane.

#22 · (Edited)
Diane said the old trucks were play trucks. She is a moron. People haul stuff all the time with there trucks. Weather it's work or play the Truck is working. ...I love nissan.
Agreed, I look at a truck as a tool. If it isn't going to be able to do the job, then I look elsewhere. I might be in the minority here, but I tend to use the truck as-built, as-delivered and make very few mods. Having turned a wrench professionally a long time ago, I always liked working on Nissan/Datsun the best. And I like driving them, as everything I've owned from them has been fun to drive and has given a good long service life.

But since we may yet have some input into the design, I'd like to offer a take on the styling that improves the look substantially. This wouldn't take much change in the body dies, hopefully they haven't been cast yet.

I've been looking at the front and rear shapes of the truck ever since it's been revealed here, and they look like... they've just been 'stuck on'. There's no strong line to tie them together.

So I did some imagining with PhotoShop and this is the result. I think it looks a heck of a lot better. Plus the lines won't affect how easy it will be to clean the truck, unlike some things that have been done to others. Have a look...

(Yes, I posted pretty much the same thing in another thread, just trying to hit all the bases and hopefully get Nissan's notice before it's too late. BTW Nissan, you can pay me for the design work by giving me the first one in our area.)

(Edit: also fixed the grille proportions.)

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
The interior is nicely done. I also like the LED bed lights, built in goose neck tow hitch, 6 speed tranny (was hoping for a 7), and last but not least, the beefed up differentials.

Dislikes:

For starters, the gas door location...WTF? And, what about those cutouts/slits in the fender flares; what flavor of cronic were the engineers smoking the day they drafted those up. The taillights are, IMO, hidious. And lastly, everything from driver/passenger side doors forward.

Reactions: 54warrior and HRTKD
#23 · (Edited)
The only thing I hate are the fake vent things, completely heinous and disruptive to the body lines. I just read the design thread and the designer says the vents we're planned to be actual vents, but they turned out to hurt the performance of the cummins (how?) so they became fake. Time to order new fender tooling. Of course Nissan wants to move some metal so they likely did what the big three do and rely heavily on focus groups for design themes. I'm sure the change will result in a net gain in customers, it'll be at the top my list to replace my '07.

#24 ·
<Sarcastic>

I would have loved to see Nissan put out the same exact looking truck for the Detroit show. But, had a little screen showing how they mastered:
  • cracked manifolds
  • cracked radiator
  • grenading rear diff
  • leaking axel seals

</End Sarcastic>

I like the new look.
But looks won't make them sell trucks.
A "good" truck will sell them trucks.

If Nissan is to bite into the big 3, guys 5 years from now need to be saying "Yeah, I love my 2016 Titan, I can't break it".

#25 ·
I have always wanted a diesel in a smaller pickup!!

As others said, the Cummins vent just looks wrong, out of place. almost looks like an aftermarket pepboys tape on modification.

I want a better look at the truck in person before I fully decide. It appears that the truck just does not photograph very well.

love the fact that it has an integrated brake controller and sway package.

#26 ·
Dislike
No power folding mirrors, huge failure for a truck Nissan keeps saying will fit in a standard garage.....

Insain Fabrication made my bumper

#28 ·
I personally like the 2 tone paint. Especially the brown. I've always loved that color. I love the interior. Very Nicely done. My only dislikes are the new Titan badge isn't used on the outside of the truck. Also to much chrome for my taste. And the big huge a pillar blind spot is still there. But other than that nicely done. I'd drive it. Heck send one my way for free and I'll be the test dummy and advertise it here in south Mississippi ?. Only short drive from canton.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.