Nissan Titan Forum banner

2016 Gasser release

39K views 163 replies 42 participants last post by  BigA 
#1 ·
So, what are the guesses for when the gasser design will be released?

Insain Fabrication made my bumper

#2 ·
Late 2015 is the best guess. No exact date, not even month. It had better look better than the diesel, at least for me. Or else this Titan will be the last Titan I purchase for a long time.

#4 ·
Yeah, I feel the same way!

#5 ·
I highly doubt first of April.

#7 ·
There is no "gasser" model. The XD will have the gas engine options as well.

What has been slated for late 2015 is the release of the non XD Titan, which is supposed to ride on a different frame and be more of a traditional rated 1/2 ton class truck. I would doubt at this point that it is a clone of the XD. If it was, why bother waiting on an unveiling? They could stamp out the same body panels and slap them on a rollng chassis and show it right now. More than likely they are going the route the Big 3 have with the SD/HD line having different looks to differentiate them from the 150/1500 models for style as well as function. They debuted the CUmmins XD to generate buzz and likely see reactions. Just about every ad has a *actual production model may vary from photo* disclaimer.

#13 ·
Pretty sure the XD is only in diesel. non xd will be gas with a 5.6 gas motor and a v6 gasser. at least thats my speculation.

we will find out in 6 months i guess.

#8 ·
I am telling you guys that the new half ton (non xd) will be a heavy REFRESH of Gen 1. My best evidence is the door panels on the 1st gen 2015 titan. Really? You didn't update the door panels on the 1st gen in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and suddenly a the same time as the release of a totally redesigned truck you release the final edition of the 1st gen with a totally new redesigned door panel that happens to look exactly like the door panels in the new 2016 truck??? Come on. It is obvious that they are just making a new door panel that bolts to the same door. New 1/2 ton will be more like 2014 Tundra. Looks different, but fundamentally the same underneath. Hopefully it gets a new interior, updated engines, transmission and rear axle. But retains frame and suspension from first gen for the most part. Really, any frame failures out there? Why develop all new stuff when the old was working fine and needed only refinement to match the market. XD is the headline grabber with the diesel, but is it not really just a truck on the NV3500 bones. The half ton will be a carryover from current to some extent. That is the only way Nissan will be able to compete on cost and scale. I have even read that the new Frontier will be based on the previous generation (99-03) frontier that is still for sale in mexico. If you look at how they have kind of dumbed down the Versa, Sentra and other products it will be in keeping with what is working for them elsewhere. I for one like this approach for trucks. Give me stuff off the shelf that works like the 5.6 out of the infiniti QX56 /80 along with the 7 speed auto. They work. Tech from 5 years ago making its way down the product food chain... Let the early adopters by F150s for $60k.

#9 ·
I didn't even realize that Nissan updated the door panels for 2015. How weird, they updated the Armada interior years ago, and I was waiting for that interior to end up in the Titan. Really dislike my Titan's interior. Worst part of the truck by far, seeing as how the rest of the truck is actually quite good.

I really like the current bones too. I do not like the XD with it's huge grille and fake vents. I like the sleek nose of the Titan, all new trucks are designed with big, over the top noses. Here's some pics I have seen recently, I am actually a fan of the new corporate V motion front end and it could keep the sleekness of the current Titan:

I also love the side profile of the current Titan, NO ONE has beat that design aspect yet.

I'd like to see (on the gasser):
a much better interior
the new 5.6 and 7AT
keep the side profile
incorporate the corporate V motion grille
standard LED headlight, tails and fogs
longer lasting manifolds
take the 4WD gear more seriously (lockers available, add descent control, etc)
make AWD available, like the Armada
keep the sports car handling
maybe a DI VQ40 V6 for a work truck king cab model?

#11 ·
I'm guessing the gasser will have the same interior, hopefully a floor shifter option though. And maybe a revised front clip from the XD we can only hope.

#12 ·
IMO.. the less the new gasser resembles the XD, the better.

#14 ·
There are a lot of folks around here who feel the same way. I'm not in the market for a bigger, or heavier truck, so my opinion on the XD is moot, but...I think they can do better.

And to Smoke: You're probably right, but since the XD is initially only being released with a diesel option, the term "gasser" has become the colloquial term for the non-XD version. Don't be obtuse.

#17 ·
from car and driver "To that end, the 2016 Titan at first will be available only in extrastrength XD guise when it goes on sale later this year, with the Cummins V-8 diesel being the sole engine offering. Nissan will roll out additional gasoline V-8 and V-6 options soon after the XD’s late-summer launch, as well as a conventional, lighter-duty version, but details on those haven’t been released yet. The diesel will be paired with an Aisin six-speed automatic transmission and will be exclusive to the XD model, which features a stronger, fully boxed frame and sturdier underpinnings than the lesser Titan. The XD will debut as a four-door crew cab with a 151.6-inch wheelbase, a 6.5-foot cargo bed, and either two- or four-wheel drive. All new Titans share some front-end componentry with Nissan’s NV-series of full-size vans."

#16 ·
All the article state "available" Cummins diesel. for the XD. IMHO that reads there is another option or options for the XD. They would be foolish to just offer a just the diesel. They'd cut off 1/2 of potential buyers.

#19 ·
i hope the VD get incorporated in it but a part of me hopes it will be the same engine going into it that we have now ONLY in hopes that our current titans can get a larger aftermarket support

#21 ·
No offense to the people who like how the XD looks etc, but for the few times a year the average person tows there camper etc with it vs a gas variant that comes out.. id rather have the gasser.. i think the XD looks as bad as an f350 mated with a 3500 sierra.
hopefully the v8 gas version will be a lot more appealing visually.

#22 ·
The V8 gas XD will look exactly the same as the Cummins XD. Why would they make 2 body styles for the same truck?? Especially with the traditional 1500 version supposed to look different. The manufacturing costs would be crazy for 3 different looks for 3 different cab styles.

Reactions: honda250xtitan
#23 · (Edited)
The manufacturing costs would be crazy for 3 different looks for 3 different cab styles.
I was thinking the same thing.

#24 ·
I heard the new gas model was going to be around 420ish hp 6.0 liter v8.... basically a newer version of the vk engine with updated fuel injection like in the infinity.

#25 ·
if its a 6.0 and only puts out 420 they really suck. the current 5.6 in the infinitis puts out 400.

#26 ·
I was talking with prg greg, he said the fuel injection was based off that infinity from what I understood. Yeah, especially with all the current competition, well atleast it makes it easy to stick with my current titan if it all pans out to be true?

#31 ·
I didn't see the xd after gas. I just saw gas. Assumed 1500. I do agree that they wouldn't change the style for a gas xd. But the 1500 better be alot better

#32 ·
Although I am more in the market for an XD, it would be cool if they could make the 1500 more sporty yet keep the capability at or better than the current Titan. Just make the tweaks needed, like mpg and tech to bump it towards the front of the pack.

#33 ·
Yes that is much needed. The appearance uplift but more sporty than the xd. Little bit more power and alot better mpg would be great ha. Hopefully we get that.

#34 ·
We need more power? Yeah.. it's always fun to juice it up... but it takes a 496 to compare... even as zippy as the ecoboost is it leaks the sheer grunt of the vk56 in my titan. A new look is due.. I just hope it's unique... since imho good looking pickups are a decade and more dead.... unique is the best I can hope for.

#42 ·
You never know...all the hype and hubbub about the xd... and tHat design could take the half ton market by storm... sleeper tactics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.