Please Report Titan Half Ton 7-Speed Transmission Issues - Nissan Titan Forum
2016 Titan General Forum General discussion forum for the new 2016 Nissan Titan.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:04 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Please Report Titan Half Ton 7-Speed Transmission Issues

I'm sure many of you will agree with me when I say the new half ton Titan is awesome! The ride quality, interior updates, new powerful 5.6, fantastic stock exhaust note, increased MPG, warranty etc...all make it a great truck to own and drive. But as you have read or may be experiencing the shift points and "fluttering" RPMs likely caused by the new (to the Titan) 7 speed transmission have somewhat diminished the experience.

It is not unusual for manufactures to have problems like this right out of the gate. As soon as transmissions passed the 6 speed mark nearly every manufacture has experienced some sort of "gear hunting" problem that was subsequently corrected with updates.

Anyways the point of this post is to encourage anyone that is experiencing transmission issues with the new Titan half ton to call Nissan Consumer Affairs to share their issue and most importantly open a case. It is important to open a case even if you have already reported the issue to your dealership. Updates have already been released for the XD and I figure a little more attention should help ensure updates for the half ton aren't far behind.

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin, TN 37068-5003
Phone: (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)

Monday through Friday:
7:00 AM to 10:00 PM CST

Saturday:
7:00 AM to 5:00 PM CST
The Following User Says Thank You to Titantred For This Useful Post:
djmoore250 (03-09-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:22 AM

Re: Please Report Titan Half Ton 7-Speed Transmission Issues

Great idea!
I just called about the transmission\hesitation issue and the issue I have with the radio restarting. Definitely worth the 5 minutes. For anyone else wanting to call the option on the phone is 7. Have your VIN handy.
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-10-2017, 08:55 AM

Garage

Just made my case... literally 5 minutes. Love the truck but something has to be done. I miss my Frontier tranny

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twitter- @tonelocg

20" Vision Warrior 375 Rims
275/60/20 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires
20% Tint
Speed Tech lights (Front Grill & Rear window)

**COMING SOON**
Stainless exhaust finisher
Lift of some sort

2017 Cayenne Red Titan SL
2014 Frontier CC SV 4x4 Traded 2/24/17
2009 Frontier CC SE 4x4 RIP 9/22/14
2007 Frontier KC SE 4x4 RIP 2/19/09
2003 Sentra SE- R Sold 7/19/09
1995 Sentra
post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:35 PM

Garage

Curious, I phoned the 1-800-647-7261 number not realizing that connects to Nissan USA. I gave my concern(s) and when she realized that I live in Canada, she transferred me to Nissan Canada. One question that both asked me was whether or not I had addressed my concerns to my local Nissan dealership - I have mentioned this to the Service manager but I haven't had them check my truck out for this issue. Have either of you had your truck road tested by your dealership and/or diagnosed to determine what is causing the truck to shift/stumble the way it does ???

By the way, for those living in Canada, the number to phone is 1-800-387-0122 (option 5)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017 Titan Crew Cab SV 4 x 4
Premium Package, Dual exhaust system with Magnaflow muffler and Magnaflow SS tips (18" x 4"), Goodyear Wrangler Adventure A/T tires (P265/70R 18); Fuel Offroad Lethal wheels (18" x 9"), Undercover Flex tonneau cover, Putco 48" LED Tailgate light bar, AVS Bugflector
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 04:38 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post
Curious, I phoned the 1-800-647-7261 number not realizing that connects to Nissan USA. I gave my concern(s) and when she realized that I live in Canada, she transferred me to Nissan Canada. One question that both asked me was whether or not I had addressed my concerns to my local Nissan dealership - I have mentioned this to the Service manager but I haven't had them check my truck out for this issue. Have either of you had your truck road tested by your dealership and/or diagnosed to determine what is causing the truck to shift/stumble the way it does ???

By the way, for those living in Canada, the number to phone is 1-800-387-0122 (option 5)
Same question I was asked to me… Again I did talk to my service manager also and they basically have said they know that there's an issue but has to wait until Nissan mandate something. I have owned nissans for 18 years and 3 Nissan fronttier since 2009… Something has to be done about the transmission... sometimes it's on safe when trying to pull out on a slight incline

Twitter- @tonelocg

20" Vision Warrior 375 Rims
275/60/20 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires
20% Tint
Speed Tech lights (Front Grill & Rear window)

**COMING SOON**
Stainless exhaust finisher
Lift of some sort

2017 Cayenne Red Titan SL
2014 Frontier CC SV 4x4 Traded 2/24/17
2009 Frontier CC SE 4x4 RIP 9/22/14
2007 Frontier KC SE 4x4 RIP 2/19/09
2003 Sentra SE- R Sold 7/19/09
1995 Sentra
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter View Post

I've called my local Nissan dealer to mention the issue, but haven't taken it in yet. Interesting that you had to call Nissan Canada, the lady I spoke with worked for Nissan USA but was in a call center in Canada.
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonelocg View Post
Same question I was asked to me… Again I did talk to my service manager also and they basically have said they know that there's an issue but has to wait until Nissan mandate something. I have owned nissans for 18 years and 3 Nissan fronttier since 2009… Something has to be done about the transmission... sometimes it's on safe when trying to pull out on a slight incline
I also mentioned the safety factor, told her that if I'm going up a hill and someone is behind me and I start slowing down without the brake lights coming on I could get hit from behind, a little extreme I know, but would like to see the issue addressed.
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

My dealership's service manager said the same thing...that they are aware of the issue, they had similar issues on the XD and are pretty much waiting for an update from Nissan. I posted this in another thread but I am pretty much able to recreate the situations listed below on demand, both in my truck and another one I test drove on the lot.

1. RPMs suddenly dip under medium to hard acceleration in the middle of 3rd gear before building again. This only happens after being light on the gas in 1st and 2nd gears (i.e. cautious left turn) or after braking causing a downshift to 3rd gear. This is especially frustrating when trying to accelerate up hill after a turn or accelerating after slowing for a car turning in front of you. I'm not sure if this is transmission or ECM/VVEL.
2. Transmission's reluctance to down shift from 5th or 4th gears...especially when the grade changes.
3. Transmission will never shift into 5th until 42 mph while on flat or downhill roads. It will however occasionally shift into 5th around 38 mph while light on the gas going UPHILL. This causes loss of power and the RPM to flutter up and down between 1000 and 1500 RPM.
3a. It will sometimes do the same as above in 6th gear when going up hill in mid 40's mph.
The Following User Says Thank You to Titantred For This Useful Post:
rico387 (03-24-2017)
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 04:36 PM

Garage

I guess till Nissan gets its act together and issues a fix for the transmission, I'm just going start shifting manually. I've done this a few times now and when you hold the shift point till RPM's reach 2,500 - the Titan responds with no hesitation - it just wants to go. I do the downshift when the RPM's reach 1,750. I actually got better gas mileage shifting manually as opposed to letting the truck do it automatically. No stumbling/hesitating

2017 Titan Crew Cab SV 4 x 4
Premium Package, Dual exhaust system with Magnaflow muffler and Magnaflow SS tips (18" x 4"), Goodyear Wrangler Adventure A/T tires (P265/70R 18); Fuel Offroad Lethal wheels (18" x 9"), Undercover Flex tonneau cover, Putco 48" LED Tailgate light bar, AVS Bugflector
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:23 AM

I just received the survey on the Titan and gave poor reviews of the transmission and provided my contact info
The Following User Says Thank You to martyf250 For This Useful Post:
djmoore250 (03-15-2017)
post #11 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:32 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titantred View Post
I'm sure many of you will agree with me when I say the new half ton Titan is awesome! The ride quality, interior updates, new powerful 5.6, fantastic stock exhaust note, increased MPG, warranty etc...all make it a great truck to own and drive. But as you have read or may be experiencing the shift points and "fluttering" RPMs likely caused by the new (to the Titan) 7 speed transmission have somewhat diminished the experience.

It is not unusual for manufactures to have problems like this right out of the gate. As soon as transmissions passed the 6 speed mark nearly every manufacture has experienced some sort of "gear hunting" problem that was subsequently corrected with updates.

Anyways the point of this post is to encourage anyone that is experiencing transmission issues with the new Titan half ton to call Nissan Consumer Affairs to share their issue and most importantly open a case. It is important to open a case even if you have already reported the issue to your dealership. Updates have already been released for the XD and I figure a little more attention should help ensure updates for the half ton aren't far behind.

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin, TN 37068-5003
Phone: (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)

Monday through Friday:
7:00 AM to 10:00 PM CST

Saturday:
7:00 AM to 5:00 PM CST
Calling NOW!!! Thank you for posting this and spread the word so we can get an update ASAP...
post #12 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 11:44 AM

Garage

Definitely insist on opening a case! the agent in my experience totally downplayed the issue.
post #13 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 AM
PRJ

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Lol. Much like the failing rear ends, I would expect zero help from Nissan on this issue.
post #14 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 AM

Just called and reported in Canada. She said take it to the dealer if there is an issue, then said it sounds like a characteristic of the truck. We went around in circles 3 or 4 times and she kept saying the same thing. Eventually she basically said enjoy your truck and have a good day, then hung up.

I have owned a few new cars, get a new one usually every 24 months. I have to say this is my worst experience yet. Love the truck but I can't get past the transmission issue, worst new vehicle I've owned. The tranny issue is too big to look past. I was towing 3,500lbs this weekend, that only adds to the weirdness and I was holding my breath on every hill hoping something bad wouldn't happen, not an enjoyable experience.
post #15 of 100 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm-17pro4x View Post
Just called and reported in Canada. She said take it to the dealer if there is an issue, then said it sounds like a characteristic of the truck. We went around in circles 3 or 4 times and she kept saying the same thing. Eventually she basically said enjoy your truck and have a good day, then hung up.

I have owned a few new cars, get a new one usually every 24 months. I have to say this is my worst experience yet. Love the truck but I can't get past the transmission issue, worst new vehicle I've owned. The tranny issue is too big to look past. I was towing 3,500lbs this weekend, that only adds to the weirdness and I was holding my breath on every hill hoping something bad wouldn't happen, not an enjoyable experience.
Explain us what the truck does in hill will it wont downshift or what or u just have to press more on the gaz pedal to get it going.or it struggle to to keep it going..did u use the towing mode.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top