Nissan Titan Forum banner

Please Report Titan Half Ton 7-Speed Transmission Issues

24K views 105 replies 26 participants last post by  PRJ 
#1 ·
I'm sure many of you will agree with me when I say the new half ton Titan is awesome! The ride quality, interior updates, new powerful 5.6, fantastic stock exhaust note, increased MPG, warranty etc...all make it a great truck to own and drive. But as you have read or may be experiencing the shift points and "fluttering" RPMs likely caused by the new (to the Titan) 7 speed transmission have somewhat diminished the experience.

It is not unusual for manufactures to have problems like this right out of the gate. As soon as transmissions passed the 6 speed mark nearly every manufacture has experienced some sort of "gear hunting" problem that was subsequently corrected with updates.

Anyways the point of this post is to encourage anyone that is experiencing transmission issues with the new Titan half ton to call Nissan Consumer Affairs to share their issue and most importantly open a case. It is important to open a case even if you have already reported the issue to your dealership. Updates have already been released for the XD and I figure a little more attention should help ensure updates for the half ton aren't far behind.

Nissan Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 685003
Franklin, TN 37068-5003
Phone: (800) NISSAN-1 (or 800-647-7261)

Monday through Friday:
7:00 AM to 10:00 PM CST

Saturday:
7:00 AM to 5:00 PM CST

See less See more
#3 ·
Just made my case... literally 5 minutes. Love the truck but something has to be done. I miss my Frontier tranny

#4 ·
Curious, I phoned the 1-800-647-7261 number not realizing that connects to Nissan USA. I gave my concern(s) and when she realized that I live in Canada, she transferred me to Nissan Canada. One question that both asked me was whether or not I had addressed my concerns to my local Nissan dealership - I have mentioned this to the Service manager but I haven't had them check my truck out for this issue. Have either of you had your truck road tested by your dealership and/or diagnosed to determine what is causing the truck to shift/stumble the way it does ???

By the way, for those living in Canada, the number to phone is 1-800-387-0122 (option 5)

#5 ·
Same question I was asked to me… Again I did talk to my service manager also and they basically have said they know that there's an issue but has to wait until Nissan mandate something. I have owned nissans for 18 years and 3 Nissan fronttier since 2009… Something has to be done about the transmission... sometimes it's on safe when trying to pull out on a slight incline

#8 ·
My dealership's service manager said the same thing...that they are aware of the issue, they had similar issues on the XD and are pretty much waiting for an update from Nissan. I posted this in another thread but I am pretty much able to recreate the situations listed below on demand, both in my truck and another one I test drove on the lot.

1. RPMs suddenly dip under medium to hard acceleration in the middle of 3rd gear before building again. This only happens after being light on the gas in 1st and 2nd gears (i.e. cautious left turn) or after braking causing a downshift to 3rd gear. This is especially frustrating when trying to accelerate up hill after a turn or accelerating after slowing for a car turning in front of you. I'm not sure if this is transmission or ECM/VVEL.
2. Transmission's reluctance to down shift from 5th or 4th gears...especially when the grade changes.
3. Transmission will never shift into 5th until 42 mph while on flat or downhill roads. It will however occasionally shift into 5th around 38 mph while light on the gas going UPHILL. This causes loss of power and the RPM to flutter up and down between 1000 and 1500 RPM.
3a. It will sometimes do the same as above in 6th gear when going up hill in mid 40's mph.

#9 ·
I guess till Nissan gets its act together and issues a fix for the transmission, I'm just going start shifting manually. I've done this a few times now and when you hold the shift point till RPM's reach 2,500 - the Titan responds with no hesitation - it just wants to go. I do the downshift when the RPM's reach 1,750. I actually got better gas mileage shifting manually as opposed to letting the truck do it automatically. No stumbling/hesitating

#42 ·
EVERYONE! After you open a case and receive a case # you will receive a SURVEY emailed to you. Please make sure you fill out and respond immediately. Its important you leave detailed comments in the appropriate sections too. It only takes but 5 mins to do. This will move up the latter within corporate if they receive enough of them.

Email Title will be:

Nissan North America Consumer Affairs Questionnaire

Body of email will be:

As a valued Nissan customer, your satisfaction throughout your ownership experience is our company's highest priority.

Recently, you contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs with a question or concern. We would appreciate your feedback on our resolution process, as it helps us understand our strengths and opportunities. Our goal is to improve future experience for valued customers like you.

Providing your feedback will only take a few minutes of your time. Please click the "START" button below to begin. The link will remain active for 21 days.

START SURVEY

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,

Jaime Copenhaver
Senior Manager
Nissan Consumer Affairs

#14 ·
Just called and reported in Canada. She said take it to the dealer if there is an issue, then said it sounds like a characteristic of the truck. We went around in circles 3 or 4 times and she kept saying the same thing. Eventually she basically said enjoy your truck and have a good day, then hung up.

I have owned a few new cars, get a new one usually every 24 months. I have to say this is my worst experience yet. Love the truck but I can't get past the transmission issue, worst new vehicle I've owned. The tranny issue is too big to look past. I was towing 3,500lbs this weekend, that only adds to the weirdness and I was holding my breath on every hill hoping something bad wouldn't happen, not an enjoyable experience.

#16 · (Edited)
I now suspect that a majority of the transmission issues below 40 mph are related to the manner in which the torque converter locks up in 3rd gear and refuses to disengage. Specifically after light acceleration in 1st and 2nd or after slowing and downshifting to 3rd. This of course prevents the engine from staying in its power band. There are 3 problematic scenarios that this creates.
1. The torque converter locks up at the same time the transmission shifts into 3rd. This makes it feel like the transmission "dumps" into 3rd and RPMs drop to 1000 RPMs and flutter.
or
2. It locks up while under med to hard acceleration (again after light acceleration in 1st and 2nd) in 3rd. This causes RPMs to dip by 800 RPMs and the engine to severely lag before RPMs build again.
or
3. Once locked, the torque converter refuses to disengage when RPMs drop or under hard throttle.

#17 ·
I now suspect that a majority of the transmission issues below 40 mph are related to the manner in which the torque converter locks up in 3rd gear and refuses to disengage. Specifically after light acceleration in 1st and 2nd or after slowing and downshifting to 3rd preventing the engine from staying in its power band. There are 3 separate problems scenarios created by this.
1. The torque converter locks up at the same time the transmission shifts into 3rd. This makes it feel like the transmission "dumps" into 3rd and RPMs drop to 1000 RPMs and flutter.
2. It locks up while under med to hard acceleration (again after light acceleration in 1st and 2nd) in 3rd. This causes RPMs to dip by 800 RPMs and the engine to severely lag before RPMs build again.
3. Once locked, the torque converter refuses to disengage when RPMs drop or under hard throttle.

I will def tend to agree with this... especially when low speeds turning a corner at a Yield/ Rolling atop & trying to punch it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Agree. I'm having the same problem with my 2017 Platinum; I'm taking it into the dealer Wednesday. Dealer said they haven't heard anything about this, but would check it out. I'm definitely going to call Nissan consumer affairs after going to dealer. This has to be reported; the more people report it, the greater the probability of Nissan getting a fix for this.

#21 ·
Might just be me but I find this thread exaggerated. The shifts on myn are not perfect. But not even close to as bad as some describe.

Reactions: Titan332009
#31 · (Edited)
I'm not exaggerating at all, there are issues with how this transmission acts and it's annoying as hell. I had a RAM 1500 with the 8 speed and not once did it act like it was hunting for gears, or the RPM bounce all over the place, or have to push the accelerator most of the way to the floor to get is to down shift, or have a hesitation before accelerating. I also have a Jeep Renegade with the 9 speed and again no issue with the transmission. I may be wrong but isn't the the same engine/transmission combination offered in the gas XD that's been on the market for close to 2 years now, I would have thought that the trans issues would have been worked out by now. I called my dealership earlier this week to see if there was a software update for my truck and they said no. I'll give Nissan some time and see if this issue gets resolved and if is doesn't I will be trading it in on a different truck.

#24 ·
This from "Off-Road.com" as they did a review of the 2017 Titan Pro-4X - "While we like the new V8 engine in the Titan, the key area where the truck shows some obvious growing pains is the new seven-speed transmission. We spent a great deal of time in the Titan both driving around town and on the open highway, and the one nagging complaint we had is in regards to a hesitation in the transmission after downshifts. We particularly noticed it around town just after shifting from second gear into third or third gear into fourth. The actual shift itself is smooth overall, but it’s that moment just after the shift that the transmission feels hesitant, like it’s second-guessing if it’s in the right gear"

#28 ·
im up in canada and get around 11.5L/100km - 13L/100km which is far better than my Gen 1.

#29 ·
You must do mainly highway driving to get those numbers. My average of 15.8 mpg (Imperial) equates to 17.9L/100km. My best of 21.2 mpg equates to 13.4L/100km

#32 · (Edited)
From what I've been reading is that the 7sp has had its problems like fords 10 speed trans., but also note is that most issue can be fixed with firmware updates because the the issues are more computer then mechanical. As far as MPG all Nissan's that I have owned have noted better fuel economy after engine breakin usually around 5-6000 mile mark. I read somewhere that manufactures rate Hwy MPG in 55-65 mph range to get best rating. I'm Still waiting for Sammy Haggar to change lyrics to "I can't drive 75", he's already changed it to to 65 from 55 LOL

#35 ·
I had read something on the TitanXD forum where owners of the 5.6L gas in the XD's have taken their trucks to the dealership and had the transmission "REFLASHED" (what exactly that means - I do not know - Can anyone explain) and some owners have said that the transmission shifted a lot better.

I to have the issue with the erratic shifting and the stumbling where the RPM's go up and then down. Mentioned this to the service manager and he said that he hasn't heard of this problem - I'm going to start shifting manually so that I can control the shift points on acceleration.

#36 ·
Customer with transmission problems like slipping, shift flare or poor shift quality? The solution could be a reflash. With five-, six- and even nine-speed automatic transmissions, the shift behavior is regulated with more sensors and solenoids than ever before. Reflashing new calibrations for the transmission can solve shifting and even wear issues without having to rebuild the transmission.

Many OEMs are issuing new calibrations to account for wear to the bands and clutches that they did not see in their initial testing.i have read this on one forum..

#38 · (Edited)
Well some good news, I hope. A Nissan regional technician flew in yesterday to meet with me and go on a test drive. We drove around while he had his diagnostic tool plugged in observing transmission behavior and recording data. While I couldn't recreate the worst of it, I was able to recreate many of the strange shift points, torque converter behavior, and hesitation in 3rd and 4th gears. He said he got what he needed however and confirmed there was a problem. He kept it for the day for further inspection. Long story short the regional rep confirmed that there should be a TSB within a month to correct this issue. He didn't specifically say if it was software or mechanical but based on our conversations it sounds like it will be a software update/flash. I will post a pic of my ticket notes later today.

On a side note, the fact that the truck will not shift into 5th when going downhill until 42 mph is an emissions thing. Evidently this is required to keep the catalytic converters at operating temps. There is nothing the TSB or anyone can do about that. This fact never really concerned me but I have heard others complain about it so I thought I would share.

#39 ·
I'm curious what area are u in? I hope all this is true. I'm so sick of the 1st couple gears in this transmission.

#45 ·
Just got off the phone with customer service and explained the issues to the gentleman that went along with my survey and emails. He said they need to see the truck at the dealership and drive it themselves. I asked if they have been receiving a lot of calls on this issues and he acknowledged some and something about a couple bulletins but would not get into specifics and that the dealer would need to test it out.

#49 ·
Yep that is just what I went through last week. Its highly unlikely you will get anything immediately fixed as a result, unless they chose to load out the "beta" software for the forthcoming TSB...both of which they mentioned during my test drive.

Obviously the regional technician during my test drive was playing his cards pretty close. But he did mention a couple times that the issue could be related to an accelerator position sensor (or something to that effect) in the transmission. Evidently this is a seperate sensor from the more commonly known "throttle position sensor" that controls engine functions. During our brief conversation it sounded like this sensor is responsible for controling how the transmission functions under different accerator positions (i.e. downshifts, torque converter lockup, etc...). There were several times during the test drive where it would lag and I would tell the technician that I had the accelerator nearly to the floor. Whereas he would say that he was was showing much less throttle applied. Anyways take all of this with a grain of salt but see if you can find anything more about it during your test drive.

#53 ·
Dropped 17 1/2 ton gas off this morning after corporate arranged appointment. said there is a TSB out and they have performed a few already. said the computer need to be reprogrammed and they will need it for 3 hours roughly. Something about getting it up to temperature which takes a while and need to cover engine with blankets or something. Hopefully this works!

#54 ·
I hope it fixes these damn issues.... the Blanket thing seems Odd. Do you know what the TSB said?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.