Nissan Titan Forum banner

2017 Titan Transmission TSB Info

280K views 1K replies 146 participants last post by  danielelrod99 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE!! 2017 Titan Transmission TSB Info

Update! See post #234. There is an updated TSB# NTB17-016c released on 8/17/17.

Finally a TSB has been issued!

When you talk to your Nissan dealer, reference TSB# NTB17-016b.

This is for 2017 Armada, Titan, and Titan XD (with VK56VD). It is for "shift shock, lack of power, and/or RPM fluctuates."

This is for if a customer reports one or more of the following things occurring:
- Transmission shift shock when accelerating enough to create a 7th gear to 3rd gear downshift
- While driving at a steady speed, the engine RPM goes up and down (fluctuates) a small amount
- With light acceleration at lower speeds there is a lack of power; feels like the selected transmission gear is too high (may also be described as hesitation).

See less See more
#6 ·
I have not made it to a dealer yet.

#4 ·

This is for 2017 Armada, Titan, and Titan XD (with VK56VD). It is for "shift shock, lack of power, and/or RPM fluctuates."

This is for if a customer reports one or more of the following things occurring:
- Transmission shift shock when accelerating enough to create a 7th gear to 3rd gear downshift
- While driving at a steady speed, the engine RPM goes up and down (fluctuates) a small amount
- With light acceleration at lower speeds there is a lack of power; feels like the selected transmission gear is too high (may also be described as hesitation).
I looked up the TBS number on the Nissan Service Tech website (https://www.nissan-techinfo.com) and it is not showing up.

#5 · (Edited)
I got that off of an actual Nissan internal site at work. Not sure how long it would take to show up on other public websites.

#9 ·
!!

Called my local dealer. It's in the system BABY!!! Have an appointment next week. YOU DA MAN!

#12 ·
So, when you guys are calling for appointments, are you specifically mentioning this TSB, and you want it applied?

Or are you explaining the issues, and letting them look it up on their own?

Just want to know the best way of getting this done painless without any hassles from the dealer.

thanks!!
Greg

#13 ·
I made my app to for my 1st oil change & the Radio update & the Transmission issue... now that the TSB is out I will reference that when I get there Monday 7am. I'll update everyone Monday as to what happened. I'm in Baltimore btw.

#15 ·

Read somewhere on this forum about a software update F166 & also a TSB for diagnostics kit for bad reception which for me in Baltimore I have terrible reception compared to any other vehicle I had.

#18 ·
It does not specify any specific VIN # ranges for this TSB.

#19 ·
Had the TSB done Friday morning. Could immediately notice an improvement. It shifted and held RPMs like it should and the gas mileage was improved. Drove around 160 miles today on the interstate and it was a massive improvement over my last interstate trip. The power was there whenever I needed it and the mileage was much better. My last trip (same drive, same route) I only got 16.2 MPG. This time I got 18.5 MPG.

After the tech was done, the service manage test drove my truck and told me that it was a big improvement. He also had a '17 Titan and said he would be getting that done ASAP.

#21 ·
The reviews of this sound awesome, exactly what we need!

I called my dealer (Canada) they couldn't find the TSB. One of the employees in service is a family friend so I believe him when he said he searched hard to find one. They said they will check again on Monday, but as of Saturday, this TSB didn't seem to show for any dealers here in Canada.

#23 ·
there is a specific number posted on anther thread. tell them that number and im sure they will find it

#27 ·
Called my dealer on Friday and inquired about the TSB with the service scheduler, she said that she would talk with the service manager and get back to me, she didn't. I called back and she said that she talked with the service manager and he mentioned that he thought he had seen something in the system last week. I made an appointment and told them I will not take the truck back until the transmission issue is fixed, they agreed and are supplying me with a rental.

I hope the above is true about the gas mileage, because I have been tracking my MPG for the last 3 months and my overall average is 12.02 MPG.

#28 ·
UPDATE- After i had my truck updated i noticed the immediate difference in that the transmission held up the RPM's during shifting which was great. the shift felt more solid. So i have now put almost 400 miles on it since the update and it is back to the same crap. In particular, going uphill is still a major challenge. loss of power. shift flare, RPM flutter. i know they said it is back in learn mode but i still dont feel great about this. Its 2017 and I have to deal with this from a brand new truck.....wtf is going on here

#29 ·
I just had the TSB- NTB17-016B don this am for the ECM & TCM re-flash/ update & I noticed an immediate difference. I've driven about 60 miles so far.

#35 ·
I just called Newton Nissan in Gallatin, TN, and the "service advisor" didn't really know anything about this TSB, and he said he couldn't look it up...... only "technicians" could look it up. what a bunch of ****!
Said they'd have to "diagnose" and "replicate" the issue and search my Vin # to see if there were any TSB's that correlated to it.
I see a run-around here.
Sorry to hear. I called Kenny (operations manager) at Nissan of Cookeville and he looked it up and found it immediately.

#45 ·
Well, here's the post you been waiting for! LOL

Got to the dealer and it was swamped for service. I figured i'd be there all day.

Service writer comes out and asks the nature of my visit. I just hand him the paper with the TSB and its issues, and 2 more I'd added.

He said "okie dokey". I told him it applied to ALL the 17 titan's (non-xd). He took the paper an drove it in. He gave me my copy back and said he'd attach the tsb info the the service order. I told him that I'd already talked to Ivan at Nissan Corporate (I had his # written down------I actually call I can, but voice mail only, and never a call back)...

I was told my the service manager the TSB stated that it had to be a certain TCM revision OR GREATER before the TSB would be performed.

After about 45 minutes of waiting, I see my truck pass by the front window, so I got up and followed it.... It was going into the service bay then...... So, after about 45 more minutes, they came got me, Thumbs up, successful reprogram.

The service order says per word the same things on the TSB ( I think he cut and pasted it from my appointment notes---which I posted the TSB info).

all the service order says in addition to the TSB details is

"Performed TSB 17-016b, reprogrammed TCM...DX53AA 0.8"

So, off back home (70+ miles).

Shift patterns were definitely different afterwards. More smooth and not jerky. Does rev up to 2000RPM at the top of the gear on 1-2-3 and going into 4th (again @ 43mph like clockwork--as previously).... From 4th to 7th I never really even noticed.

Did not notice any "lack of power" or hesitation (then again, I was on the interstate 90% of the way home).

Never noticed any RPM "flutter" UNTIL I got home, and truck was sitting idle in the drive way...... Its weird. Its like the truck was "breathing"...... Idle rpm was not constant. went from like 500rpm to 700rpm (like a rhythmic breathing cycle).... Truck DID NOT do this before this flash. So that in itself is weird.......... But RPM's were constant during normal driving.

Crusing @ 70mph on mostly flat interstate, RPM's were about 1700-1750, instead of the normal 1500 I'm used to seeing, but it was constant.

So, probably too early to really detail any other findings. Its most likely in "learning mode" again, so I'm gonna be a little more aggressive for a few hundred miles.

They did NOT test drive the truck, they took it in, and applied the TSB.....
So, if you get flack from your service advisor, just show him the TSB sheet and symptons.

the TSB is definitely in their system (for the US anyway).

Good luck everyone, and I will report back after a few weeks, and monitor the shifting and reactions during that time.

Anyone else that has this performed, leave notes and experiences as well.

Thanks!
Greg

#47 ·
Had mine reflashed yesterday and I have noticed a difference. The transmission seems more decisive and doesn't seem to be hunting for gears. The dealer where I bought my Titan from is about an hour from my house so on the way out I reset my MPG computer and on the way out I got about 12.5 MPG on the way home after the update my MPG computer read 19.7, hopefully this fix will improve my overall gas mileage. I also complained about poor FM reception and they didn't have an update for that.

#48 ·
I also have terrible reception...my dealer said the same thing...no updates for that yet

#55 ·
does this have anything to do with the truck "stuttering" from 1st to 2nd?
I notice mine really only when making turns from a stop light or similar.
yesss!!!

#56 · (Edited)
Finally they got it in Canada..

Subject: SB 2017 Armada/Titan/Titan XD; Shift Shock, Lack of Power, RPM Fluctuates
Summary of NTB17016:
IF YOU CONFIRM One or more of the following, or the customer reports one or more of the following, - Transmission shift shock when accelerating enough to create a 7th gear to 3rd gear down shift. - While driving at a steady speed, the engine RPM goes up and down (fluctuates) a small amount. - With light acceleration at lower speeds there is a lack of power; feels like the selected transmission gear is too high (may also be described as hesitation). ACTION 1. Refer to step 6 in the SERVICE PROCEDURE to confirm ECM reprogramming applies. 2. Reprogram the ECM, if it applies. 3. Refer to step 22 in the SERVICE PROCEDURE to confirm TCM reprogramming applies. 4. Reprogram the TCM, if it applies. See this bulletin for further detail.

if ou look it up in the teck info it under Amanda