Nissan Titan Forum banner

Rear Axle Seal Replacement OptionWhich One?

36K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  dubyam 
#1 ·
Both rear axle seals have started leaking at 70,000 miles. I tow a travel trailer so the T gets some heavy use.

Other posts have indicated that the Nissan dealers are changing the whole axle shaft with bearing and seal already assembled.

The people who have had this done do not have the problem return, but it costs a lot more.

Should I have the dealer do the more expensive repair or just have a local shop replace the seals and chance how long it will be before the problem returns?

I appreciate any advice.

#4 ·
Thank you for your replies.

The local shop I usually deal with said they cannot do the job.
The local Nissan dealer quoted me $750 to do both and I have an appointment for this Wednesday.

Will let you know how it goes.

#5 ·
They are going to replace the seals and not the whole axle? I thought the dealers were no longer replacing the seals and were only replacing the whole axle? How much did they quote you for a new axle? Is there a guarantee/warranty with the seal replacement?

#6 ·
Whole axle replacement is news to me. I brought min in at 90,000 + miles cuz it was making a clicking sound which turned out to be u-joints but also noticed the rear axle seal was leaking. They fixed both under warranty, (bought it with 85k, got a 2yr 30k warranty) but only replaced the seals. Was that a recall?:confused:

#7 ·
The service manager said he had never heard of changing the whole axle shaft assembly.

They changed the seals, bearings, and spacers on both sides. I saw the mechanic grinding the old one off and it took almost 4 hours. Total price $758.87.
It has a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty.
He said he has only had one rear axle seal come back after they installed a new one and it was over 30,000 miles later.

I ordered a new axle vent valve and will change it out when it comes in ($16). Simply a preventative decision.

They said my truck needs a condenser fan as part of a new recall. The parts should be in next week and it will be free to me (like the fuel sending unit recall).

If the seal doesn't leak again I will be happy.

The service department has always treated me well. My only other problem has been the tire pressure light comes on when it gets below 20 degrees in the winter.

#8 ·
If they havent seen the bulliten to replace the axle shaft instead of the bearing & seal then I am not sure I would want them doing the job. This bulliten has been out since feb 2010.

#9 ·
nascarjody

Do you know the date or number of the bulletin?
If so maybe I can show it to them when I go back for the warranty work.

#10 ·
I stand corrected:bangit:. I have read post on TT where some dealers were replacing the entire axle because of the leak. I found the TSB (published 02/2010), which specifically states "Do not replace the entire rear axle assembly for this incident, if it should occur. See this bulletin for further detail."

I have attached the TSB for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

#12 ·
Does anybody know exactly what, if any, difference there is between the new shaft/seal assembly and the old shaft & seal for the 2004-2007 trucks?

I found that I can get Timken Set 10 bearings from Rock Auto for like $24 which includes the bearing, race, retainer ring. The cheapest I found for the seal is $22. So you are looking at around $50 per side for the parts and somebody with a press to press them on. Anybody find a cheaper place to buy the seal?

The only potential issue is if the axle shaft is scored where the seal rides, but then maybe you can get a Speedi-Sleeve to sleeve that so you don't have to buy a new shaft.

#14 ·
Can replacing the seals be done in a normal garage? I'm gonna need to replace mine pretty soon

#18 · (Edited)
You need a press. So the way I see it is that if I can't do the whole job myself, just have someone else do it. Of course I'm tired of working on my T anyways so that doesn't help :p

I wonder where the best place to buy the upgraded axles are? I bet you could install those yourself since they already have the seals pressed on?

#16 ·
If you are spending $750-$800 for this job to be done you are either paying an outrageous per hour rate or they are installing preassembled axles and not telling you. My local guy just did one of my axle seals for around $150. I got the parts on Amazon for like $50. My guess is they swapped to preassembled due to techs nicking the axles while cutting loose the old parts. Plus it's less labor for the dealership to simply pull out an old axle and insert an assembled new one than spend time cutting and pressing.

PennTitan - That price sounds reasonable as it is including labor and parts for the ebrake shoes.

EastTNTitanOwner - Return the $16 vent to the dealership and look up the axle vent mod thread here or contact Nightowl at Cajun on the site. The vent mod is an easy DIY and cheaper than the vent. Cajun sells a complete kit that IIRC might cost a bit more. Either way, eliminating the stock vent helps prevent future axle seal issues.

#17 ·
Diagram:

Part numbers:
Up to 04-07
43070-7S200 spacer (required to be cut off) list price $16.70 ea
40210-7S210 WHEEL BEARING list price $89.85 ea
43252-7S200 SEAL list price $30.28 ea

AFTER 04-07:
43070-EB110 spacer (required to be cut off) List price $19.02
40210-EB000 BEARING list price $99.00
43252-ZR00A SEAL List price: $9.03

Press is required to do it properly.

Hope this helps
chris

#19 ·
I think I saw that Dorman sells assembled axles. There was a thread on the site somewhere.

#24 ·
Probably doesn't need to be drained, but while you have it open, and since it was leaking, not a bad time to drain and change.

#26 ·
Bringing back from the dead. Both mine are leaking again and figured I'm better off replacing the complete axle assembly. Anyone have suggestions on where to purchase them? I keep finding the rear axle shafts online but all say with out the E locker. My truck is 2005 4wd with E lock. What's the difference, the number of splines?

#27 ·
Difference is length.

#29 ·
Depends on whether you have the open diff or the e-locker. Open diff has equal length axles, so swappable side to side. E-locker has unequal length axles, so they are right or left side specific.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.