Nissan Titan Forum banner

All Terrain or Mud Terrain?

4K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Luzroja 
#1 ·
Hey guys I need some opinions on the tires I WILL be getting soon. I am def going up to 35"s and probably going with the BFGs but I cant decide if I want to go AT or MT-KM2. The price diff is going to be about 200-300 dollars depending on when I get them. My question is would 35" ATs look good on a lifted truck (mine for those who have seen it) or should I go with MTs for the look. I dont offroad much and anything I do is very easy so the ATs I have now have done great. Also I have gotten 42Kish miles out of my current ATs and they have a good 10-15K left so how much am I giving up if I go to MTs? And lastly will the ride/MPGs suffer a great deal from making the switch?? Oh and one more thing...anybody recomend any other brands that are priced good?

I know there are a lot of questions in there but any help/advice/opinions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

#2 ·
toyo mt's look mean and you will get 60-65k out of them. and they run wider than they say. BFG's are too skinny for lifted apps IMO

Reactions: vilim12
#3 ·
If you wanna get BFG's I would say stick with a/t. I know guys that run them on their truck and they are getting 80k or better out of them. I know a guy running f250 that has 114k on them and still close to 1/4 tread on them. I know the m/t's on the BFG side tend to get about 50k out of them roughly, so i think spending more for a tire that u wont use is useless. Yes your mileage will go down considering you are going to a bigger and heavier tire. But shouldnt die. I do second what eddie said though. I have heard great things out toyo m/t's, with good mileage wear. I personally run nitto mud grapplers, they are heavy and big but look awsome!!!! They dont have very good wear on them though. So i guess just try to get some reviews on tires that you may be wanting also.

#4 · (Edited)
You answered your own question. Get the at and don't look back. I was thinking the same thing but with the nitto trail, ended up getting some cooper discover AT3 and have been very happy. I do some hunting and they have gotten me through some nasty stuff. Being as you are hong to be on the road most of the time I would get the at

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free

#5 ·
BFG A/T is the only tire id run from them, my friend chewed up a set of the Muds on a jeep from one christmas to another. Id never put a set of those on my truck. But for your application id look elsewhere on both choices, BFG is way too skinny looked for a lifted truck. Check out the Nitto and Toyo line up,

#7 ·
I'm running a 35" BFG A/T and I love it. I had Mud Terrains in 33's prior and while it was a good tire; the A/t is much quiet and drives a little better. The M/T isn't real loud like some other brands but I'd rather hear my Fosgate system then the humming of tires. I debated like hell on which to go with and am happy with my choice of the A/T.

#8 ·
go A/T if you dont go off road, tires will last longer and you will save a lil $$$$

#9 ·
if you have not looked into Cooper St's and the STT look in, to them, they are cheaper and just as well made as bfg, i have 30K miles on a set of 33x 12.50 Cooper St's and they are more aggressive then the bfg at and not quiet a true mud tire, they have gotten me through some nasty clay and the lugs clean very well for not being a true mud tire. i am going with the stt next, they have alot of different sizes then bfg also so you can go wider. discount tire has them.

#10 ·
Check out the Toyo AT.. Awesome looking A/T, D rated, smooth thread, and a great ride. Im not sure about how long they last, but they definitely do a good job filling out the wheel well.

Reactions: goodkill365
#12 ·
Go with the BFG AT/KO in 315/70/17. I had great experience with the BFG AT for overall performance. They are great tires for general offroad use, they are great in the winter, and have very good road manners. Mud tires wear out fast, make tonnes of noise, suck in the winter, and have terrible road manners. The only good things about mud tires is they look cool and are great in the mud. The BFG AT is a much better overall tire IMO, so unless you are into hardcore mudding, stick with an AT. Eddie probably just thinks they are too skinny because they are less than 15" wide :lol:

#13 ·
The KM2 in a 35x12.5R17D only weigh 68 lbs. while the 35x12.5R17E Toyos weigh 82.7 lbs. ... About a 15 lbs. difference!
On my Titan 15 lbs. is a 1 mpg loss, (based on 4 sets of aftermarket tires that I've owned).

I ran the Toyo M/T and they were great tires, but maybe too heavy since you mentioned mpg as an important factor. The KM2 is one of the lightest 35" M/Ts. The 35" Toyo A/T in a 325/70R17E is still heavy at 76.5 lbs. but being a 17", they do come with a 40K mile tread wear warranty.

The BFG A/T KO in the LT315/70R17D comes in two version, both are OEM tires, one for a Dodge and one for a Ford IIRC ... don't know which is which but one is 34.4" diameter and 64 lbs. and the other is 34.5" and 66 lbs. The one with the S speed rating is the wider of the two. They used to make them in an OEM version for one of the Hummers. I ran the KO's in the stock size as my first aftermarket tire on the T, and loved them until they got extremely slick in the rain at about 33K miles, which was around 75% of the tread used up.

One of the lightest LT315/70R17D tires I've seen are the GoodYear DuraTracs at 60 lbs. They are 34.4" diameter, and wider than one of the KO versions. Currently I'm running the DuraTracs in the 32.8" LT285/70R17D which are also light for their size at 53 lbs.. Would have to go to a passenger P size to get much lighter. They are a fairly aggressive looking tire for a A/T. Out of all the tires I mentioned, I would probably pick the DuraTracs, again.

#15 ·
Can anybody post pics of a T with a 6" lift running 35" AT's?

#16 · (Edited)
I love my new toyo mts!! If I were to go all terrain then I would go Pro Comp extreme A/Ts. I loved my 37" pro comps on my F150 before I got my T. But I love the aggressive look the toyos give me. I also only drive about 7 miles to work lol. I think JB has his BFG KM2s still. Last time I was over there he had them since he went to ATs. I dont know if they were for 17s or 18s though. But I have some 18s in storage with your name on them lol. Hit him up and see. Cant wait to see your T on 35s bro!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.