Nissan Titan Forum banner

Differential Cover ????

8K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  JauntyBishop 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 4wd Crew Cab Titan and recently noticed a leak on my rear Diff. I want to replace the cover any suggestions as to which is better ? The Stillen Cover or the Mag-Hytec Cover ???? Could use any feedback to help my descicion !!!

#4 · (Edited)
Dude, if you're gonna be mean to the new-b at least make the links work... common. Lol

@OP it never hurts to google... but here's some googling I did for you...

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tit.../121688-stillen-vs-mag-hytech-diff-cover.html

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/136690-stillen-diff-cover-pics.html

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-general-discussion/132950-mag-hytec-diff-cover-worth.html

-Enjoy

Stillen cover will probably suit your needs,

It's a lot cheaper than the MAG-hytec one...

Mag-hytec is super nice though.

IF you're not looking for the extra oil capacity you could probably just pop off the cover and redo the RTV around it.. slap the cover back on and wait 24 hours before moving or filling the diff. It'll be fine.

That's what I did when I switched from the original steel cover to the finned aluminum one.

Reactions: JauntyBishop
#9 ·
Hey Bro, welcome. I just installed the Mag Hytec a few days ago. I have to say, with all of the research I have done on this, imo this one is the best. It has a magnetic dipstick and drain plug. I makes for easy fluid replacement and adding fluid. It also has a stck drain plug in the dead center of the cover. In case you want to fill it to Nissan Stock Specs.

If I were you, I would do the vent mod along with the cover install. It will cost you about $25 in parts and take about 20 minutes. The stock vent is garage. And mine took 4quarts of Amsoil Severe Gear Lube 75w-140. I have a 11. That is what it took to fill to the bottom line of the dip stick. I would not fill it more than that because there are reports of fluid blowing out of the axle seals if you fill it past that. Do a search for Mag Hytec. I will see if I can find the vent mod thread for you.

#10 ·
Thanks for the info ! I typically check the Diff fluid when I get my oil changed. I am not a raging off roader I do pull a trailer occasionally in the summer with my boat and my 4 wheeler trailer but other than that no out of control off roading. I figured I had the factory cover on since 2004 thats 9 years so I figured I would save a bit and do the stillen cover it seems that should work for my application and I need the cash to fix a power steering hose leak and a rear bearing seal leak it looks like now ! Thanks for the input it is GREATLY appreciated !

#14 ·
I just used Amsoil 75w-140 Severe Gear Lube. It has the highest ignition point at 220*. It is the best on the market. And it is the most expensive. You can order it at the Amsoil website. That would be the cheapest. Unless you know an Amsoil dealer in you area.

Reactions: andys04titan
#16 ·
and the smell to!

#18 ·
I just installed my Mag Hytec and a PML Deep Tranny Pan. I love them. Sorry to thread jack but does anyone else that installed these notice a smoother throttle response after the install? I ask because I am noticing that.

#19 ·
Sweet You guys are MOST Helpful !!! What is the best Fluid for the FRONT DIFFERNTIAL ??? Also whats the best FLUID for the TRANSMISSION ! If I am replacing all the fluids underneath I might as well do them all !!! I hit 100,000 so want to keep her puuuurrriiinng !

#20 ·
Another options if you don't really tow is the 05+ OEM cover. A lot of guys here who have swap out to an aftermarket cover will usually sell their OEM cover pretty cheap.
The 05+ cover is a finned design to help with cooling.
Also originally Nissan used 80W-90 in the 04 but has since changed it to 75W-140 synthetic.

Amsoil seems to be a popular alternative around here. You could go Amsoil in front and rear diff plus the transmission.

#21 ·
Wait what's the recommended fluid for the front diff?

75w-140?

F me. Are you sure? I can never get a straight answer for the front.

I recommend you use Matic S from the dealer. Always better safe than sorry.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#23 ·
80w-90 is the prefered. You can use 75w-90 as well. But I would use the 80w.
You cannot go wrong with Amsoil Synthetic Products. Imo best on the market but pricey. It will buy you some time between fluid changes. I run Amsoil in everything. I am in a relationship with my T so I treat her well LOL. You can save a bundle if you order directly from the Amsoil website.

#24 ·
Whoops sorry baseballfanz I read that wrong I though you were suggesting running 75w-140 in the front lol.

Yeah I run royal purple cuz it's what I got on hand lol.

#28 ·
IMO Ansoil ATF Multi Vehicle Synthetic is the best around. Beginning to sound like a broken record. They claim a high ignition point, 220*. Buy directly from their site and you will save a lot. Unless you can find a dealer near you. It convinced me to change all of my fluids to Amsoil. Also, Amsoil Severe Gear Lube Synthetic 75w-140 for the rear diff and 75w-90 Synthetic EP Lube for the front. If you go to Amsoil.com and input your vehicle, the list of recommended fluids will come up for everything.

#30 ·
Not sure. Seriously if you can't buy armsoil, just shell out a little more for the dealer stuff. It's not going to make you bankrupt and it's not gonna ruin your crap.

Trust me. You've been given a ton of info. Just stick to the book and your good.
This is it okay. This is what you run. Anything else and you'll explode. Lol

80w-90 front
Matic D transfer
Matic S Trans
75w-140 rear.

Recommend Brands:
Royal purple
Lucas oil
Mobil 1
Nissan
Armsoil

#32 ·
I use Mobil 1 0w-40 for engine oil and Royal Purple 75w-140 for rear diff, I'm 2wd tho. The transmission, i've been running Mobil ATF for many miles without issue. Next i will be either going to Amsoil ATF or Redline D4 ATF.

Good thing about 0w-40 is it will shear down to a thick 30 weight overtime and its used in the GTR so yeah lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.