Nissan Titan Forum banner

High mileage hard working diffs.

5K views 30 replies 25 participants last post by  92TripleBlack 
#1 · (Edited)
What I would like to do is find out if this diff CAN hold its own in any titan. We have all seen the 6 blown diff threads so I want to post something different, because all of us even me with some knowledge and no signs of any probs are paranoid our diffs are going to grenade. So if you hard working Titans would be kind enough to chime in and answer the same questions only different than phoebios post only it would help ease everyone including me. If it isnt too much trouble just answer the question with the # and answer. This is for Titan owners who have NOT had a diff failure only thank you.

1) How many miles?

2)How much weight do you tow?

3)What % of the total mileage is towing? (Best guess)

4)B/T, O/R, or none

5)E-lock yes or no

6)04,05, or06?

7)Did you change your diff fluid if so at what mileage, and to what brand, and viscosity?

8)As best you can explain the way you truck was driven and be honest if at all possible. gentile,normal, or drive like you stole it.

I appreciate all who respond to this thread and hopefully it helps a few rest easier. Or maybe there is a major prob. either way I think we are all better off if we know for sure.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
CraigG said:
1) How many miles?

4)B/T, O/R, or none

5)E-lock yes or no

6)04,05, or06?

7)Did you change your diff fluid if so at what mileage, and to what brand, and viscosity?

8)As best you can explain the way you truck was treated and be honest if at all possible. gentile,normal, or drive like you stole it. this is very important question to me as it may or may not rule out driver abuse.
Okay, I'll go. So far so good.

1. 29,400 miles

2. Most days nothing. 10-15 times a year about 3-5,000lbs on a 500+ mile round trip.

3. Wow, never did the math. About 30%

4. B/T and O/R

5. No elocker

6. 2004

7. Changed the differential oil to synthetic to Mobil 1 - 75w140 at 15,000 miles. The differential was not low on oil(I put it back in the bottles it came in).

8. I'm not a drag racer but I ocassionally stamp it down. I guess I'd fit in the normal category.

Come on Chef, spill the beans...:teethmast

:popcorn:

#4 · (Edited)
I've only owed my Titan for about two months. I have not towed anything yet but the previous owner did. The truck has about 9500 miles on it and the first 8000 or so were used for towing. No diff problems.

1) 9500

2) I'd say about 3000 lbs.

3) Guessing about 50%

4) B/T only

5) No E-Lock

6) 2004

7) Original fluid

8) I would say normal use. Probably show off occasionally.

I have also been concerned after seeing all of the diifferential failures and am curious to see how this turns out.

#5 · (Edited)
Treebasher said:
Come on Chef, spill the beans...:teethmast

:popcorn:
I've already destroyed one rear. This is a very interesting thread because it is exposing the other half of the story. I'm anxious to see a lot of hard working diffs that have stood the test of time. The info will only help in the end.

I'm just a little touchy on the 'abuse' issue, since you could say I've abused every vehicle I've owned, but never had a diff go bad. (well not including this one) It's also something some dealers are using this to fall back on to deny inferior parts. It's my opinion that I may go through another diff before warranty time is up. It's just not built strong enough for this application, or if we are lucky, just a few batches of bad parts.

Nevertheless I think Craig's poll is a great idea, I'm very interested in how some diffs will hold up well. It's his poll and I'm not out to nitpick the wording that I personally do not agree with. I'm glad he came up with it and just want to follow it.

:brownsmil

#6 · (Edited)
CraigG said:
What I would like to do is find out if this diff CAN hold its own in any titan. We have all seen the 6 blown diff threads so I want to post something different, because all of us even me with some knowledge and no signs of any probs are paranoid our diffs are going to grenade. So if you hard working Titans would be kind enough to chime in and answer the same questions only different than phoebios post only it would help ease everyone including me. If it isnt too much trouble just answer the question with the # and answer. This is for Titan owners who have NOT had a diff failure only thank you.

1) How many miles?

4)B/T, O/R, or none

5)E-lock yes or no

6)04,05, or06?

8)As best you can explain the way you truck was treated and be honest if at all possible. gentile,normal, or drive like you stole it. this is very important question to me as it may or may not rule out driver abuse.

I appreciate all who respond to this thread and hopefully it helps a few rest easier. Or maybe there is a major prob. either way I think we are all better off if we know for sure.
So far so good smooth running and tight, but I'm keeping an eye on it for sure!

1.about 18k miles on the truck.
2.I tow a bass boat I would say about 5k lbs
3. How much do I TOW? very low just a few times a year.
4. Both BTand O/R
5. E-Lock? YES.
6.Year? 05
7. Yes I have change it 3 times sense new, first time was at 1200 then 7k then 15k all I use is the factory Syn. 75/140. The fluid has been very clean and clear looking at every change so far and little to no metal in the old fluid.
8. How do I drive? normal

This 05 titan is so much better built then my old 04 it's not even close!
I do not even have any rattles at this point, the truck is way more powerfull then my old one and drives very smooth and tight.
I hope it stays this way.

Deep.

#8 · (Edited)
1) How many miles? +25,000 miles

2)How much weight do you tow? ~2,000 lbs. & ~5,500 lbs.

3)What % of the total mileage is towing? (Best guess) 3%

4)B/T, O/R, or none 4x4, BT, and OR

5)E-lock yes or no
Yes, May '04, (the very first month of the E-LOCK's introduction).

6)04,05, or06? '04

7)Did you change your diff fluid if so at what mileage, and to what brand, and viscosity? Yes, checked F/R at 2K miles - full and "looked good"; changed around 4K not bad looking fluid, an 1/8 " of metal debris on magnet; 12K very little debris on magnet 1/32" to 1/16" of debris; and 23K very slight debris, 1/128".

Here is the best stuff on the market. Too bad Nissan didn't choose this instead of the full synthetic crap they have all of the '05 and '06 Titans using:
http://www.schaefferoil.com/datapdf/267.pdf

Check out the fourth pic down. It pretty much shows why the '05 still go out, (well 2 or 3 of them I think :upsidedow). The egg beater test says it all:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/gearoiltest.htm

I followed all break-in procedures, towing included, and things like E-LOCK not over 12 mph. 4-LO under 30 mph, and 4-HI 60 mph or less. I don't abuse it, but I paid for an Off-Road pkg. so I will off-road it, and a Big Tow package rated to around 9,000 pounds with my setup, so I will do it and not worry.

I do off-road climbing steep arsed jeep trails, river rock courses etc. and generally don't baby it. But it is basically in mint condition. Never have power-braked, but I think a truck should be able to take it, since the market is full of guys that do.

The worst abuse this truck ever gets is on a public road of my commute. It has some large roller-coaster like dips 10-12 feet deep, and the Titan comes very close to getting air on these, (while driving the legal rate of speed of course).

I plan to keep this truck forever, and I'll be very surprised if the differential ever goes out. I think a few bad parts have made it into the channel. If I am wrong, the five year 60,000 mile power-train warranty eases any paranoia, (and my 100K extended warranty helps too).

Worst thing is the poor customer service of Nissan Corporation. If their product breaks, they need to provide 4x4 owners with a 4x4 truck to use, big-tow owners with a tow-capable truck. Being cheap arses and providing malibu's and corolla's will not make me be a return Nissan customer. They need to have the parts, (rear axles if they choose), available at all of the dealers so the customer is not inconvenienced, even if you blame them. Nissan Corporation has turned some of these guys into martyrs with their bad customer service. I even feel sorry for members like FishHead even though some seem to think he/she is a troll.:rofl:

#9 ·
31,500 miles
4,000 pounds during summer, 350 miles round trip, every other weekend from June through September, 11 or 12 times each summer. Pull trailer with equipment about ten times a year, most weight was a small backhoe, short trips over the weekend, probably around 8,000 pounds.
10 % towing percentage ?
no B/T or OR
no E-lock
2004 4x4 KC
Added PML aluminum cover last June, ran 75W-90 Mobil 1 from 5,000 miles until then 20000 miles, then switched to 75W-140.
Normal driving, 20 % of my daily trip is stop and go traffic, occasionally smoke a turd if needed.

I think driver abuse would be applicable to the couple of people who have had multiple diff's replaced, if they actually have had that many replaced. I saw one of the posts yesterday, Mikey, said he had just had his sixth diff replaced. I'm beginning to wonder if he has a Titan, and knows what a diff is. Last summer I was in to see if they could better align the bed and rear bumper (they couldn't). At that time, the service manager told me they had only replaced three diff's, one because of a guy pulling about a 15,000 pound load of horses and stuff on a fifth wheel from West Virginia to Northern KY. He got all the way here before the transmission failed and the diff also had to be replaced. The service guy had to call a friend at a Dodge dealer to get a Cummins to take the guys trailer to his house. He thought the other two were early models due to very low levels of oil in the differentials. He said at the time he had seen quite a few brake jobs though.

#10 ·
1. 28,000
2. Between 1500 to 9100lbs.
3. About 18%
4. BT and OR
5. Yes
6. May 04

7. First change at 5k and 9k. Used Redline 80w-90 till I put the finned cover on at around 20k, now using the Nissan 75w-140 synthetic.

8. Gentle most of the time, though a few times I have layed rubber and when I pass people I always floor it.

One thing I feel makes a difference is the break in. On page 9-22 of the owners manual there is a highlighted caution section that states for the first 500 miles that you tow, do not drive over 50mph and do not make full throttle starts. I waited until my truck had 1000 miles before I towed and then towed at only 50mph for the next 500 miles (with many a finger thrown at me!).

Now I understand that as "regardless of the miles you have on the truck, the first time you tow anything, do it at 50mph for 500 miles"..

#11 · (Edited)
CraigG said:

1) How many miles?

4)B/T, O/R, or none

5)E-lock yes or no

6)04,05, or06?

Miles=22,000
Tow wieght=5000, inboard ski boat w/ski equip. and camping gear.
% tow= 3500 per year(2 yrs.) 280 mile trips(one way) on Interstate highway
@ 75-80mph in 4th gear. Some 40 mile trips(each way) 45-50mph,
stop and go(traffic lights).
B/T?= yes
E/lock?= no
Year?= 04
Fluid change?= Yes every spring and fall. 75/140 in spring. 75/90 in fall.(syn.)
Always looks good. Super-Tech brand. Did not follow towing break-
in procedure, 75 mph from the get-go.
Drive style?= Easy, but I don't baby it when towing. Checked the diff temp alot when towing, never has exceeded 170*F. Use an infra red thermometer.

#12 ·
1) How many miles? 20,000

2)How much weight do you tow? 3,000 lbs

3)What % of the total mileage is towing? (Best guess) 10%

4)B/T, O/R, or none ~none

5)E-lock yes or no~ no

6)04,05, or06? 05

7)Did you change your diff fluid if so at what mileage, and to what brand, and viscosity? Nope

8)As best you can explain the way you truck was treated and be honest if at all possible. gentile,normal, or drive like you stole it. this is very important question to me as it may or may not rule out driver abuse. ~Drive it like I stole it. What's the point of having 305 hp if you never use it!

#13 ·
1.) 29,900 and counting

2.) up to 7,500 lbs.

3.) about 5 %

4.) None

5.) No

6.) 2004 - guinea pig deluxe

7.) 25 or 26,000 and went with Mobil 1 Full synthetic 75W140

8.) I run about 70 to 85mph for right at 100 miles per day. This is of course traffic permiting. I commute in Houston, and you have Go Baby, Go when you can. I drive this truck like I stole it all the time, and gas mileage be damned.:futwice:

#14 ·
1) How many miles?
Have not tow yet
0%
4)B/T, O/R, or none
B/T
5)E-lock yes or no
No locker
6)04,05, or06?
Have not change

Normal driving mostly city, treat myself to a spinout here and there. Did a burnout once.:upsidedow

#15 ·
KenedyTXTitan said:
1. 28,000
2. Between 1500 to 9100lbs.
3. About 18%
4. BT and OR
5. Yes
6. May 04

7. First change at 5k and 9k. Used Redline 80w-90 till I put the finned cover on at around 20k, now using the Nissan 75w-140 synthetic.

8. Gentle most of the time, though a few times I have layed rubber and when I pass people I always floor it.

One thing I feel makes a difference is the break in. On page 9-22 of the owners manual there is a highlighted caution section that states for the first 500 miles that you tow, do not drive over 50mph and do not make full throttle starts. I waited until my truck had 1000 miles before I towed and then towed at only 50mph for the next 500 miles (with many a finger thrown at me!).

Now I understand that as "regardless of the miles you have on the truck, the first time you tow anything, do it at 50mph for 500 miles"..
I did the same for my break in period. I did not go over 60 mph for the first 1k miles and did not tow anything untill about 5k miles.

And then I still stayed under 60 mph for the first few times that I towed.
Then after a few times I started to open up and get into her alittle while in tow mode.

Everything is working just great, the truck just runs awesome! :)

Deep.

#16 ·
CraigG said:
1) How many miles?

Up to about 7,200#

About 40% - trips to Canada, Colorado, other less-than-flat places...

4)B/T, O/R, or none
NONE

5)E-lock yes or no
No, I don't think they even offered it that early.

6)04,05, or06?
Early '04

14,000 to synthetic. Drain/refill at 22,000 to flush out remaining dino oil. Don't recall what brand, (because it was a while ago) but a major one. And no, not Amsoil.

I don't do burnouts because in addition to throwing away miles on expensive tires, that's tough on the running gear. But I do hot-rod it occasionally, especially if the local Tundra or F-150 driver speeds up when I go to pass!

I'm too much of an old-fashioned mechanic to have broken it in on hard duty - I towed at 55 for the first trip, a round trip of about 650 miles (truck had about 2,000 on it then). There are very few flat spots around here, lots of hills, so that's how it got broken in.

It gets a real beating and banging every day to get to and from work via our dirt road, then on our crappy old country roads, and then onto the freeway at 60 or so for the rest of the trip to work. This truck hauls stuff on these same roads most every weekend, since we just wrapped up a forever-long kitchen remodel and are still getting rid of the debris.

Yeah, this truck is a working truck, and right now especially it's being worked harder than my previous trucks with all this extra stuff to be done. This is no boulevard beauty queen! I throw cement blocks or other junk in the back to run it from one side of the property to another because the 'mechanized wheelbarrow' gets the job done in short order with no sweat. (There's lots of crawling in low range across the bumps and swales.) Those stupid steel fence posts tend to leave marks on the bedliner, but hey, you know what - it's standing up to this just great.

The truck's also deliberately not pictured below the rocker panels, because (and I know this may shock some) it has a case of road rash.

#18 ·
riginally Posted by CraigG

1) How many miles?

4)B/T, O/R, or none

5)E-lock yes or no

6)04,05, or06?

1) 18,000
2) 8,700#
3) 30%
4) BT
5) No
6) 12/03
7) Mobil 1, 75-140 at 3,300 miles, finned cover at 6,800 miles.
8) I drive it like I stole it.

#19 ·
1) How many miles?
8800 miles

Typical tow is truck bed full of camping gear, towing a boat, cab of 4. Boat fully loaded is about 3200 lbs, bed loaded is about 400 lbs, people about 400 lbs, altogether about 4000 lbs.

may be 20%

4)B/T, O/R, or none
B/T and O/R

5)E-lock yes or no
No e-lock

6)04,05, or06?
'04

Yes, done by Nissan (synthetic per TSB) at around 7500 miles as warranty repair to replace peeled paint on diff cover due to excessive heat.

8)As best you can explain the way you truck was driven and be honest if at all possible. gentile,normal, or drive like you stole it.
Normal driving at all time - gas too expensive to be wasted.

#21 ·
1) 24,500 miles
2) 5000-7000 lbs, depending on how many horses
3) <5%
4) None, XE BABY!!!
5) see answer for 4.
6) 04
7) Still on early 04 factory oil, will soon change to 75w140, afraid of what it will look like, but then, I never changed the diff oil in my 86 king cab, with over 190k miles.
8) Mostly normal, around town, occassional 35 mile commute, mild 'wheeling, and every now and then I crack the whip and floor it to freeway speeds just to make sure it still can!

#22 ·
Great idea for a thread!!!!:sunshine:

FWIW I didn't read it as implying anything about possible abuse. People can believe what they want, but it is a plausible factor and no one is going to post "I abused my truck and the diff exploded now I want it warrantied" anyways. You will always get 1/2 the story. A similiar issue arose on another site I am on that is for Subaru's. People came on screaming the WRX had a glass tranny and Subaru was using abuse to get out of fixing the problem. Long story short, more than a few wound up being outed by being seen drag racing the cars. FWIW 6 failures on the same truck points to something other than the diff out of whack whether it be installation, abuse or bad luck.

For the record:

14,100 miles

2000lbs

20% or so

BT

Still on OEM synthetic the truck came with, planning on changing it out in spring prior to towing my 4300lb TT.

I drive it pretty easy most times as it is a truck, not a roadster or dragster, with the exception of a hard launch or two for a grin. I also do some mild off roading as well.

#23 ·
[
1) How many miles?

4)B/T, O/R, or none

5)E-lock yes or no

6)04,05, or06?

I Probably shouldn't Jinks myself but here goes.

1) Right now I have almost 38000 on it.

2) My boat weighs about 4000 lbs. dry but when the 80 High $ Gallons of gas go into it and the beer cooler thats abit higher. Also the trailer weighs in at about 1300 lbs. I guess.

3) I take it out most weekends in the summer. and Pull it about 20 miles to and from my favorite launch site. sometimes I use another one which is an additional 20 miles each way. Soooo maybe 5% of the time.

4) B/T, O/R.

5) No on the E-locker.

6) 04 Quad Cab. 4X4 LE.

7) Yes, I changed the diff fuuid to mobile 1 50-90 Synthetic.I think. There was a lot of metal debris there. that was at 3000 miles. I am told that was normal break in. I have changed it since at 10000 and 20000 with no debris and still clean looking. Next time which will be in the spring I will use the higher viscocity synthetic. Also, as a side note, I still have the old style non-finned steel diff. cover.

8) I drive the truck fairly normal now. For a while there I was always ready for a challenge. and never shyed away from a race. I drive it most every day. Work is 25 miles away. with some traffic as I get close to the military base I work on. after that it is 50 to 65. Not hilly fairly flat land here in lower Md.

That's it. I am thinking that I may have accidently broke in the diff the correct way by driving 20 miles to launch my boat then it cooling down and reheating on the way home. I did wait for 5000 miles before I towed.

Y'all have a nice day!

Ted

#24 · (Edited)
1. Right at 34K
2. Tow about 6-8K
3. About 10% of the time
4. BT only
5. No E-lock
6. 2004
7. Changed the fluid at about 2K with Mobil then again at about 15K with Royal Purple. The rear diff cover is a bit rusty, but I'm not worried too much about it with a 60K powertrain warranty.

I think I towed before the 500 mile break in was done, but it was just my four wheeler trailer and had one in the bed as well. I would think that 600lbs in the bed is similar to towing also.

My only problem with towing so much has been the brakes warping. I'm on my fourth "fix" now. Oh, I almost for got that the tires are shot after 30K, my guess is from towing and actually using this thing like a truck.

John C.

#26 ·
CraigG said:
Its good to hear that some of you guys are using your trucks and they are pulling through for you. I Have a question for swarren do they sell the shaeffers(I dont know if I spelled that right) diff oil in the 75-140 visc. ?
I think only in drums. If you have an '04 their 80w90 is still spec. but '05 the spec. is 75w140. However, the tsb does apply to the dealers though even for '04s, in fact for them it must be Nissan's own brand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.