Nissan Titan Forum banner

Premium Gas?

45K views 300 replies 52 participants last post by  HudsonValleyTitan 
#1 ·
The Oct 2004 edition of Truck Trend states that Titans require premium fuel. Is this true? Maybe I should have checked, but I've been putting 87 octane in mine since I bought it in Nov 05! Mmmm.....:crybaby:

#4 ·
A misprint sounds right. I couldn't imagine not knowing this myself, and never seeing it mentioned here at TT if that were the case. I feel better now; I can sleep tonight knowing I just saved a fortune in gas costs!

#9 ·
TitanTech659 said:
Nissan Tech Line recommends Premium fuel. I know 87 will work but it seems that Premium fuel works better.

Finally a tech that even says premiums better...I always notice my truck responds better with premium and most tell me even on this board that its in my head...Im like uh ok...Ill keep puttin it...

#10 ·
jeez, I run into this topic even on AR15.com. My 2006 "RECOMMENDS" 91 octane or higher.

Yes the truck will run on lower octane, but the computer has to retard the timing to deal with the crappier gas. When you first put 87 in there there was probably some inital detonation that the computer had to compensate for. No, you can't always hear detonation and with new computers it will compensate pretty quickly.

HOWEVER, you will NOT get the horsepower out of 87 that you will out of 89 or 92.

Gotta run will add more later

#14 ·
We've had a few Frontiers with the super chargers come in and complain of a "knocking" or "ticking" noise coming from the super charger. We always ask what kind of fuel they run. 9 out of 10 say 87. We tell them to use 91 or more and call us back and when they do they say the noise is gone. So it will change how your vehicle runs.

#16 ·
The truck runs fine on 87. The QX56 is rated at 315HP only because it requires 91 octane fuel. You'll get a little more kick and a little smoother running with premium but.....quite frankly, the price difference no longer makes it feasible to use the good stuff while getting 15 MPG.

BTW, do a search here on the subject. It's been beat to death already!

#17 ·
i'm with ^^ on this but i still use it no matter what the price......since my 22's hurt my performance a bit..........

i'm just waiting for certain people to come in here and start the debate all over again

#19 ·
HudsonValleyTitan said:
LOL...Oh man....they better not, I'm tired and hungry...I can get really ugly!!
hehe wait it will happen.......if not today......tomorrow.....but it will happen

#20 ·
Titano24's said:
hehe wait it will happen.......if not today......tomorrow.....but it will happen

lol...ye I remember the threads before but noones ever agreed with me...and I finally got some backup...EVEN A NISSAN TECH :)..they would say I was full of it and our trucks are made to run with reg gas and my truck "really doesnt run better" with the premium even though I feel a BIG difference...bring on the arguments guys!!!!

:cool: :fight: :)

#21 ·
pi3yeargrad said:
lol...ye I remember the threads before but noones ever agreed with me...and I finally got some backup...EVEN A NISSAN TECH :)..they would say I was full of it and our trucks are made to run with reg gas and my truck "really doesnt run better" with the premium even though I feel a BIG difference...bring on the arguments guys!!!!

:cool: :fight: :)
Yeah, my bad for not believeing you a few days ago ;) I have done some research since then, and it looks like Hudson and the otehrs are right. The engine does run better on premium. This is the first car I have heard of that ran better on gas other than what the manual says to run it on.

#22 ·
No need to argue. Just search. It's all been done. It's been hashed and rehashed. Just search the single, one word term "octane." Set aside several hours. If you still have questions, bring them on, but lets not do it all completely over again. Please.

#24 ·
I tried useing 87 but seemed that the Engine noise was a little louder like a faint knock. So I started using Mid grade and it is not as loud. havnt tried prem yet maybe I will when the wife goes back to work and off of maternity leave.

#25 ·
Here is my .02

Previous vehicles I have owned were very sensitive to fuel. This made me realize how crappy some fuel really is. Some gas station brands would work on 87 with no pinging and some pinged on 92. A lot depends on where you buy your fuel. I always buy a good brand name fuel. Chevron, Texaco, Unocal.

As for 87 vs 92, I have seen 87 fuel gum up in less than 2 months, while 92 fuel was still good after 1 year. We won't have that problem with the Titan. LOL

My '97 Maxima says on the fuel door "for best performance use premium fuel"
If I run '87 you can feel the timing being retarded.

In my 2-stroke dirtbikes I throw out the fuel after 1 month anyway. When I bought my chainsaw the dealer said the fuel nowadays is so bad get rid of it after 3 weeks.

For what its worth I run 92 in everything including my lawnmower. LOL

#26 · (Edited)
certain engines such as maxima's or corvettes reguire premiun and will not work properly without it.

titans are not high compression engines. 87 is fine and those who put the premium stuff is just plain ignorant, actually it is not even premium gas, the octane is just higher, higher octane means it burns more cleanly for high compression engines, if you have a low compression engines than there is a chance it will not even burn properly therefore decreasing HP if you use the higher octane stuff.

if you have pinging or notice your HP decreases then go the premium route. Losing HP can only be proven on the dyno. I took my 2004 fuel injected race R6 to TK (in Denver, Colorado Titan knows about them) a couple of times to get tuned and tried all kinds of fuel

- 91 octane pump gas (pump gas = regular stuff u buy at gas stations)
- 87 octane pump gas
- C12 (108 octane @ $5 per gallon)
- U4 (92 octane @ $10 per gallon)
- MR7 (90 octane @ $20 per gallon)

To make a long story short, my R6 ran the best with MR1. It was a dog with C12. U4 was only a slight decrease from MR1, so I stuck with U4 because of cost of MR1 was not worth it to me.

For pump gas, I got on average 2 hp more on 87 than 91 (3 runs each). Going from 87 pump gas to U4 I got an increase of 6hp.

As for the gas brand... again does not matter because all the gas comes from the same refinaries anyways. Now some places might put additives in their gas that might improve performance, but I doubt it. If you can't prove it on the dyno then no point in arguing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.