Nissan Titan Forum banner

Titan Gas Assist Tail Gate Retro Fit 03/04

37K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  stormin 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok after checking with everyone, it seams the 05 Titan gas assist Tailgate feature CAN be done with a minimum amount of sheetmetal experience and tool knowledge. It took me only about 3 hours to do and it works perfect. Just like the 05's 06's

The parts needed are...

1.93470-ZH000 HINGE ASSY-REAR RIGHT HAND...............$29.55
2.93471-ZH000 HINGE ASSY-REAR LEFT HAND.................$11.83
3.93480-ZH000 HINGE ASSY-REAR GATE RH....................$11.15
4.93481-ZH000 HINGE ASSY-REAR GATE LH....................$33.07
5.90450-ZH000 STAY ASSY - GAS CYLINDER..................$22.39
6.93334-ZH030 BRAKET T/G HINGE................................$18.04
7.90456-7Z010 STUD BALL..........................................$3.74
8.FLAT WASHER 1-1/2" DIAMETER X .090" THICK..........HARDWARE STORE

Tools Needed are...

1.DRILL with 1/4" bit
2.SAWALL WITH 6" METAL BLADE
3.1-1/14" HOLE SAW, I USED A 1-1/8" AND THEN USED A DIE GRINDER FOR A TIGHTER FIT.
4.TORX BIT FOR HINGE BRACKET COUNTERSINK SCREWS
5.3/8" AIR WRENCH AND METRIC SOCKETS TO REMOVE TAILGATE HINGE BRACKETS.
6.FILE
7.DIE GRINDER
8.TOUCH-UP PAINT AND PRIMER.

Procedure...

Please check out the pictures, they should help, I know the truck was dirty, I cleaned it up later.

First remove the tailgate, then remove the tail-light on the right rear, now on the right hinge center your drill and bit in the middle of the brackets hinge hole, drill a small amount but not all the way yet. Scribe/mark around the hinge, now remove the right hinge on the side wall and take your hole saw and finish drilling the hole, slowly so it does not chatter, it should cut easy. when you finish drilling file it so it is not sharp, test fit the New Gas hinge in the hole, file or grind to make it a snug fit, also note where the Old hinge was and try to make the new one fit exactly the same, Mine was no problem as I used a die grinder for a perfect fit. Now look down into the fender well look along the left side where you just cut the hole, follow it out and around as it makes a 90 degree turn about 1" from the screw holes, You will note the sheetmetal is too close for the new gas hinge to fit, so about 1 inch out after the 90 degree mark the top and bottom, You should see a row of spot welds runing top to bottom, you are going to cut from the top to the bottom to the right of the spot welds, this will keep the sheetmetal intact. Start your cut, then lay down and look up inside the fender well, and you can make the second cut, start about 2-1/2" back from the vertical wall and cut parallel to the bumper just to the right of the spot welds on the vertical sheetmetal, Use Eye protection here!!!! now cut the remaining piece between the vertical part the the second cut in the back, this will make the piece on the right loose, Use a plier/vise grip/adjustable wrench and slowly bend the loose right piece 90 degrees toward the front of the truck. Now you can see you have the clearance for the Gas shock and hinge assy. Next take the New two piece hinge assy and seperate them you will only need the smaller part. as in the pictures cut with your sawsall along the right side to trim it to fit into the 90 degree cavity so the the holes line up. Mount the Gas Hinge for the right side to the part you just cut, (file to fit perfectly), attach the Gas cylinder to the bottom hinge stud, hold it square and down until it stops,then mark the center of the top mount location, drill and mount the top stud ball with the large washer in the back (you need another person for this to hold the stud). Now remove both hinges off the tail gate and mount the new ones on use blue locktite, remove the left fender wall hinge bracket and mount the new left one (Here Nissan reversed the obround hignes so you can remove/replace the tailgate) Replace the tailgate and test, It should move down slightly after opening then stay with one finger you can lower or raise the gate, close it and check for fitment. Now you can disassemble and prime/paint and replace. Good Luck.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: jetchaser
#2 ·
More pictures.....

Attachments

#4 ·
Still more pictures.....

Attachments

#5 ·
Last four pictures....

Attachments

#10 ·
Yes! but not many 03's/04's had the assist added. heres a few more pictures...

Attachments

Reactions: cvroy21
#12 ·
Thanks Sammy, I figured I would try first before posting, and it works like a charm, I may add a small bracket between the sheetmetal that was cut so it will not vibrate, so far no problems.

#13 ·
nice nice...I would like to have this but I remember another option besides the tortion bar that looked like it worked real good and was in the planning of making for the titan....well see...

what will happen if u just open the tailgate and then let it drop? will it just fall (regular) hard or will it slowly fall?

#14 ·
The wife drop the tailgate on my titan and.... SH1T!!!!!!!!!

#15 ·
Nice to know it can be done. I wish they had done that the pig tail for the break controler and the power rear window in 04.

#16 ·
3.1/14" HOLE SAW, I USED A 1-1/8" AND THEN USED A DIE GRINDER FOR A TIGHTER FIT.
I'm making the assumption that this is supposed to be 1 1/4" correct?

Excellent job. Thanks to you I now have a fall project to look forward too. :frogtongu

#18 ·
pi3yeargrad,

When you open the tailgate it will spring forward or down about 2" then just stay there on its own weight, with one finger (see my picture with one finger ) you can lower it (it will stay in any position bewteen the first 2" and a little over half way down then it will slowly drift down) down effortlessly (if that is a word) for going up it is the reverse, one finger and it moves very smoothly and quietly. I went to the dealership and tested a few of the new trucks, they ALL work exactly the same as well as mine. So if you have access to the parts and tools, anyone should be able to modify an 04.

#19 ·
Thanks Rob.

#20 ·
Pot Hole,

Yes 1-1/4" diameter hole than I used a die grinder to make it fit snuggly.

#28 · (Edited)
The parts needed are...

1. 93470-ZH000 - HINGE ASSY-REAR RIGHT HAND............$33.17 (msrp)
2. 93471-ZH000 - HINGE ASSY-REAR LEFT HAND..............$17.88 (msrp)
3. 93480-ZH000 - HINGE ASSY-REAR GATE RH.................$11.13 (msrp)
4. 93481-ZH000 - HINGE ASSY-REAR GATE LH.................$26.90 (msrp)
5. 90450-ZH000 - STAY ASSY - GAS CYLINDER................$21.86 (msrp)
6. 93334-ZH030 - BRAKET T/G HINGE............................$14.47 (msrp)
7. 90456-7Z010 - STUD BALL.......................................$ 2.30 (msrp)
8. 93094-ZH00A - CAUTION LABEL-GAS STAY.............$ 3.08(msrp)
9. FLAT WASHER 1-1/2" DIAMETER X .090" THICK..........HARDWARE STORE

Total Parts Price (from Nissan) = $130.79 (msrp)
** Note: I have added item# 8 (Caution Label) to the list for safety's sake!!
(This is the same factory caution label the '05 {and later} trucks have)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.