Nissan Titan Forum banner

Magnaflow 22" muffler review.

18K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Leadsled124 
#1 ·
I finally said why not for 101$ installed what do I have to lose.Other than the drone at 58 to 62 mph it sounds great but at certain rpms it does drone pretty bad but I like it so much I think Im going to try a resonator and see if that will tone down the drone alittle.The volume of the exhaust is perfect in my opinion just drones a bit much for my taste.Its probablly the deepest sounding muffler I have ever heard and does sound a lot better than the stock muffler.Man it has a deep tone to it and sounds mean.

#2 ·
SKEET, you will lose power with an extra resonator.

#4 ·
I'm unsure. The resonator with the Magnaflow, it's a possibility that you might even run worse then stock or barely gain any over stock. My suggestion would be to turn up the radio. That's what I do on my EVO.

#5 ·
Same deal here.

I thought I could live with it
but the drone is killin' me.

In traffic
I don't have no choice but to shift to 4th.

#6 ·
its like a pipe organ - at a certain rpm, 1500-1900, the exhaust explosion noise resonates at a fequency that matches the length of the tailpipe exhaust and it vibrates as a drone. a stock muff will quench it for the most part. a blind side branch halfway down the tail pipe will send the noise back to the exhaust and cancel out the drone. this is used frequently on generators to keep them quiet. I left url for an explanation on this and how to do a sidebranch a year ago. http://www.corral.net/forums/showth...threadid=496793

juma
View Public Profile
Send a private message to juma
Find More Posts by juma
Add juma to Your Buddy List
View This Users Photo Gallery

10-30-2005, 11:21 AM #3
milleniamarv

struck out with your thread, however doing a lot of searching on their site finally located the discussion on the side pipe. Interesting read and something I'll be trying this week hopefully.
http://corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=496793

#7 ·
I'm starting to wonder if the 22" drone is more than the 18" drone. My 2.5" in/out 18" hits max. drone at 1900 rpm, but is so deep in pitch/tone that it is tolerable. I found out something interesting when I discovered my inlet muffler clamp didn't completely seal and had a slight air leak, noticed water vapor leak there, that when completely sealed, the drone volume was reduced by at least 30%. I was shocked by that discovery since it was a tiny inlet air leak.

The other interesting fact I discovered, since I had a Flowmaster 70 on before, was the max. drone volume shifted to 1900 rpm with the Mag 18" from 1600 with the Flow 70. I guess the shorter muffler body changed the drone frequency rpm range. Others have said the drone rpm range can be raised by either using a shorter tailpipe length or muffler body. It would be great to be able to raise the drone rpm frequency to about 2500 rpms. At 2500 rpms, that would eliminate 80% of the annoyance with everyday driving.

#8 ·
Sudden urge-

Didn't you here somewhere that the 22" was supposed to make LESS DRONE than the 18"???

I have the 18" SIDO and for the first month the drone from 1700-1900 was really bad, but now about a month after install I don't notice it (radio being louder helps!) and I think that it is "broken in" so the sound is deeper.

You may want to wait a month or two (depending on how much you drive) and see if the sound changes....

Clips coming....

#9 ·
SacTitan said:
Sudden urge-

Didn't you here somewhere that the 22" was supposed to make LESS DRONE than the 18"???

I have the 18" SIDO and for the first month the drone from 1700-1900 was really bad, but now about a month after install I don't notice it (radio being louder helps!) and I think that it is "broken in" so the sound is deeper.

You may want to wait a month or two (depending on how much you drive) and see if the sound changes....

Clips coming....
Of course I read that before, but some of the comments lately on the 22" make me wonder. I'm completely satisfied with the 18" and it's staying on my Titan forever, unless I win a new Mag catback...lol.

#10 ·
I'll second that!!!

#11 ·
I have the 22". When i first put it on it seemed a little loud in the 1700 rpm range. i have been driving with it know for about a month and about 2000 miles. I hardly notice it anymore. I drove my 04 the other day with the stock muffler and it just didn't seem right not having the nice exhaust note. It sounded much better to get back in the 06!!

#13 ·
When you replaced the muffler with the new, did you remember to do an ECU reset? I think it will help but not cure the drone. If your gonna put a resonator, why not try the tip from a zoomers exhaust kit. I'm pretty sure that they sell them seperately.

I did a custom dual set up with two magnaflows and have no drone whatsoever. OH, and I love the sound, not to overbearing but definitely does make its presence known.

#14 ·
sudden urge said:
Of course I read that before, but some of the comments lately on the 22" make me wonder. I'm completely satisfied with the 18" and it's staying on my Titan forever, unless I win a new Mag catback...lol.
You have now gotten used to it but when you first put it on you have to admit the drone was a lot more than you thought it would be.

#15 ·
1bigtexastitan said:
When you replaced the muffler with the new, did you remember to do an ECU reset? I think it will help but not cure the drone. If your gonna put a resonator, why not try the tip from a zoomers exhaust kit. I'm pretty sure that they sell them seperately.

I did a custom dual set up with two magnaflows and have no drone whatsoever. OH, and I love the sound, not to overbearing but definitely does make its presence known.
Resonator is cheaper than the zoomers tip and I tried one before and it did help some but not worth 150$.

#16 ·
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
I don't mind the drone.....sometimes I wish it were louder. The only time I don't like it is when my family is in the car....especially when they are sleeping on the way back from a snowboarding trip.:zzzz:
Thats my main concern is when summer gets here and we start making trips to the beach.Half the trip wouldnt be bad because its interstate and out of the drone range but the other half is a lot of that 1600 to 1900 rpm range.

#17 ·
SKEET said:
Thats my main concern is when summer gets here and we start making trips to the beach.Half the trip wouldnt be bad because its interstate and out of the drone range but the other half is a lot of that 1600 to 1900 rpm range.
1700 to 1900 rpm equals about 75mph for me so I think the Magnaflow is out for me. That's the exact range I don't want to hear it. Thanks for the info.

#18 ·
Herbpov said:
1700 to 1900 rpm equals about 75mph for me so I think the Magnaflow is out for me. That's the exact range I don't want to hear it. Thanks for the info.

Herb, that's exactly where it is the loudest, 70-75 mph in drive for mine w/o big tow at about 1900 rpms. That's why I mentioned earlier that it would be great to move up the frequency to 2500 rpms by shortening the tailpipe. I need experts to chime in and comment on that.

#20 · (Edited)
SKEET said:
58 to 62 is where I hear it.Anything over that and its fine.

That's interesting and exactly what Shailey noted. It's interesting because the longer muffler body, as with my Flow 70, had the loudest drone at 60, now the shorter body 18" has it at 70 mph. I can cruise at 60 and hardly hear any drone.

#21 ·
sudden urge said:
Herb, that's exactly where it is the loudest, 70-75 mph in drive for mine w/o big tow at about 1900 rpms. That's why I mentioned earlier that it would be great to move up the frequency to 2500 rpms by shortening the tailpipe. I need experts to chime in and comment on that.
I plan on adding resonator because I love the sound of it I dont care if I lose some power if I can tone the drone down but still keep the deep sound it would be perfect.When I cut the pipe to add the resonator I will see if that changes where the drone is before I add the resonator.Who knows I might not even need the resonator but I have my doubts but Ill let you know if the difference in length of the pipe after the muffler actually makes a difference or not.

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks Skeet, please report your findings after you shorten the tailpipe. It would be great if you did not have to add that resonator. Someone noted in the past that they cut the tailpipe just after the axle, where the pipe bends toward the ground, and that reduced the 1600-1900 drone tremendously.

#24 ·
Cutting the tail pipe will give it a raspier sound. If you don't care about losing power and more concerned about the sound and drone then the resonator will definitely take care of the drone and give it an even deeper sound but quiter.

#26 ·
I have the 18" Magnaflow on my stock pipes... and yes there is a drone at 70-75. However, it put my family right to sleep on a road-trip this weekend. It's a deep sound, and you kinda forget about it after awhile. I know because I hated it at first, and now I'm going to keep it. It's reminds me of when I worked on fishing boats in Alaska, the steady drone of the engine knocks you right out.
(Not so good if you're driving though) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.