Transmission Problems - Nissan Titan Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Problems

I'm having a transmission problems, just wanted to hear if any one else has, I bought one of the first Titans 5.6L in Edmonton, 2004. Of course its taking 2 weeks before they can even look at it. No gears are working, hope the transmissions last longer than that. It has not been abused. Any replies would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 04:33 PM

Re: Transmission Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShurRun
I'm having a transmission problems, just wanted to hear if any one else has, I bought one of the first Titans 5.6L in Edmonton, 2004. Of course its taking 2 weeks before they can even look at it. No gears are working, hope the transmissions last longer than that. It has not been abused. Any replies would be greatly appreciated
So what exactly is it doing?

Had..
05 Titan SE 4x4
Color: Blizzard
Crew Cab
Big Tow Package
Mods: Rancho 5.5" lift kit. PRG Deaver springs. 20" MB Motoring Yumas wrapped with 35x12.5x20 Nitto Mud Grapplers. PRG's stainless steel endlinks. Aries chrome step tubes. Lund stainless steel bug shield. Chrome tailgate accessory.
Have..
2007 Armada SE 4x4 black on black. No mods yet. I stress yet!
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

If the truck is cold it will move, when you go about 1 mile then there are no gears and it just rev's and does not move. When you stop and let it rest it will go into gear again. It's most frustrating. We did have our first good winter storm here this year and rain turned into snow. I was on the highway and it was pretty frozen underneath the truck. It has never done this before. But I'm still waiting on Nissan for an answer, they can't even look at it for another week. I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem.
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShurRun
If the truck is cold it will move, when you go about 1 mile then there are no gears and it just rev's and does not move. When you stop and let it rest it will go into gear again. It's most frustrating. We did have our first good winter storm here this year and rain turned into snow. I was on the highway and it was pretty frozen underneath the truck. It has never done this before. But I'm still waiting on Nissan for an answer, they can't even look at it for another week. I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem.
Is there any unusual noises coming from the truck?

Had..
05 Titan SE 4x4
Crew Cab
Big Tow Package
Mods: Rancho 5.5" lift kit. PRG Deaver springs. 20" MB Motoring Yumas wrapped with 35x12.5x20 Nitto Mud Grapplers. PRG's stainless steel endlinks. Aries chrome step tubes. Lund stainless steel bug shield. Chrome tailgate accessory.
Have..
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Not when it first happened, but as I was limping the truck along there was a slight squeal,
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 12:38 PM

Sounds like it could be the piston return spring in the tranny, if it runs for a little bit while cold this is most likely the culprit. Have you tried resetting the tranny dcm?

Had..
05 Titan SE 4x4
Crew Cab
Big Tow Package
Have..
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok, this is where my ignorance will shine through brightly, LOL I know nothing about resetting anything, its at the dealership and they still haven't looked at it yet. I don't want to get ripped off, I lost my temper at the service manager I'm scared now, not a good thing to do....just that I was stranded in a little town not even with car rentals, I had to pay for part of the tow as I was 350 KM away from any dealership, Had to rent a room for the night, etc. you get the picture.
First thing he pretty much said was your over your warranty and you have to pay for everything, trannies are expensive....sign here. Just what I wanted to hear with only 120,000 km (approx 75,000 miles??) , on the truck.
Any other info would be greatly appreciated so I don't sound like a complete idiot at the dealership when they phone...
Thanks
Sharron
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-05-2006, 04:46 PM

you have 120,000 KM on a 2004 vehicle? HOLY CRAP !!!!!

...as long as you've done regular recommended service as schedualled you should be okay and certainly have an excellent repore with the dealership by now...?~!

Update us when you have a diagnosis and possible cause

2004 LE CC 4x4 here with NO problems, 28,000 kms..and i will admit, i do abuse my truck..
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Latest update, many error codes, they don't know what it is, and their tech support is having problems deciphering the codes. They are currently trying to make the truck replicate the problem. Another words they don't know themselves yet what it is. Day 7 in the dealership and still waiting, will keep you all informed. Yes I drive alot, that is one reason I bought the Titan, its all highway KM's, but we will see if I will go that way again!!!! Sorry guys but if they call me back and say is the transmission, look what you have to look forward too. I hope not. Its a shame because I love my truck. How many other people have high km's or miles on there trucks. Anyway will keep you informed when I hear back. Hopefully this afternoon. Gotta love it this hurry up and wait.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-09-2006, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

OK, talked to Dealership today, finally they got the problem to duplicate, seems the transmission is loosing pressure. Only after driving for long periods of time. Does that mean a pump is gone. Oil they said looks dark. Have to replace the whole tranny they say. Not covered by warranty by the sounds of it going to call me back with a price. So do we have problems with the trannies (pumps).
Anybody out there had problems please let me know, or any knowledge if pump can be replaced and tranny fixed. I'm afraid of the cost of a new transmission. Will let you all know when the price tag comes in. 120,000 km and busted good.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

OK, they tell me new transmission is required $6500.00 They won't budge on the price. The truck is all hwy kms!!! No abuse at all. Trannny went at 120,000 kms. Can the transmission be rebuilt??? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Said the tranny lost pressure and the oil is quite dark. Is there a pump in the tranny? Please let me know what you all think.
Thanks
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 02:17 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 21,936 Times in 13,130 Posts
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

I beleive all auto transmissions have a pump because they are basically a hydraulic unit. Hydraulics have to have pressure, from a pump of some sort. No pump, no pressure, no go.

Dark fluid is a problem. Usually caused by lack of maintenance, burned friction materials (overheating), which could happen if the unit is low on oil.

If they haven't torn it apart yet, and all they did was read codes so far, perhaps take the truck to a trans shop for a second opinion.

FWIW, my dad melted down the autobox in a 2001 GMC 1500 4x4 and it cost him 5000 bucks at a dealer to have it replaced. Youch!

BaldWhore
Starfishwhore

Red meat is not bad for you.
Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

You know you had a great night last night when you make it home the next day missing at least half your clothes.

It's not the zombies you have to watch out for. It's the stupid people.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:37 PM

As far as my experience with the Nissan dealers they do not know what they are doing. Before I drove my truck 2200 miles x country I took the truck in to have them inspect the drive train because of an accident. They gave it a clean status (Hampton Imports Ft Walton Beach FL) I got 500 miles down the road and the transmission started leaking and then my rear end blew out completely. I had it towed to the nissan dealer valley motors in AR. They said two weeks for the part to come in. I left the truck there and told them to fix leak and rear end. They called said they fixed it I flew back to pick truck up and broke down in Albuquerque NM because of a leaking transmission that was supposedly fixed. Took it to Nissan dealer in Albuquerque and they said there was no leaks and charged me 300.00 for 5 quarts of tranny fluid. On top of not finding the leak they pressure washed the engine compartment and tore up my surpenteen belt. I had to keep stopping the rest of the trip to fill tranny cause it was still leaking. When I got to UT I took it to AAmco and they found the leak right away.
NISSAN DEALERS DO NOT KNOW CRAP ABOUT TRANSMISSIONS OR MUCH ELSE FOR THAT MATTER WHEN IT COMES TO MAINTENANCE

Last edited by lujanswithgod; 02-09-2010 at 04:41 PM.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 PM

I have a 2008 Pro4X with 30,500 miles on it and my transmission started acting up about a month ago. When I let off the gas to slow down it makes a clunking noise and it jerks when downshifting. My truck has been well taken care of...not abused. I do a tow a 18 ft. bass boat on a regular basis but that is it. It is under warranty but I am concerned. It seems once you have a transmission problem, it is never the same again. Needless to say, I am not happy.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Yahooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujanswithgod View Post
As far as my experience with the Nissan dealers they do not know what they are doing. Before I drove my truck 2200 miles x country I took the truck in to have them inspect the drive train because of an accident. They gave it a clean status (Hampton Imports Ft Walton Beach FL) I got 500 miles down the road and the transmission started leaking and then my rear end blew out completely. I had it towed to the nissan dealer valley motors in AR. They said two weeks for the part to come in. I left the truck there and told them to fix leak and rear end. They called said they fixed it I flew back to pick truck up and broke down in Albuquerque NM because of a leaking transmission that was supposedly fixed. Took it to Nissan dealer in Albuquerque and they said there was no leaks and charged me 300.00 for 5 quarts of tranny fluid. On top of not finding the leak they pressure washed the engine compartment and tore up my surpenteen belt. I had to keep stopping the rest of the trip to fill tranny cause it was still leaking. When I got to UT I took it to AAmco and they found the leak right away.
NISSAN DEALERS DO NOT KNOW CRAP ABOUT TRANSMISSIONS OR MUCH ELSE FOR THAT MATTER WHEN IT COMES TO MAINTENANCE
Yeah. Nice first post. Bravo. Oh, and thanks for resurrecting a thread that was more than 3 years old.

The new pup: 2007.5 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab SLT 4x4 SRW, Inferno Red
The old dog: 2005 Titan SE CC BT 4x4 - Magnaflow 24" w/ 3" Y-back single pipe, Bully Dog GT, RAS, SnugTop Sport shell, 5000k HIDs - SOLD!
The tail: 2010 Keystone Hideout 31BHS - Reese SC hitch, Prodigy brake controller
The old fish: 1984 Scarab 21SS - Marine Power 454 - SOLD
The new fish: 1998 Seaswirl 170 BR I/O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top