removing scuff marks from dash - Nissan Titan Forum
Detailing & Truck Care Discuss detailing techniques and products for your truck here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 04:38 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
removing scuff marks from dash

i just bought my truck last tuesday and this past friday i take it in to get my windows tinted. it appears as though the person tinting my windows let his squeegee mark up the top center of my dash (where the factory nav screen would be). although the owner never really admitted fault for it he knew that the truck was 4 days old and that his guy was in that area so chances are he did scuff it. after trying something to remove the scuffs, he ordered a new center bezel. apparently through nissan you can't just order the top portion, you have to order the entire radio dash kit, which costs him $320.

I went there today to get my tint redone b/c the tint was not adhering to the dots on the top middle of my front windshield and while we were talking i was telling him about the other modifications i wanted to do to my truck, such as wheels/tires, leveling kit, and a sprayed in bed liner. well he made me an offer, either he can replace the top of my dash or give me a free sprayed in armadillo bed liner..

so my question is, are there any products that will remove scuffs from plastic? these scuffs cannot be felt when you run your hand across it, which obviously tells me that its not a gouge in the plastic, that its just a mark on the plastic, which should increase my chances of removing it. i just dont want to take apart my dash on a week old truck for 3 little marks.

any ideas?

2008 350Z
Bolt-ons

2012 Titan SV Crew Cab
Intake, Cajun B pipes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 1,075 Times in 761 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Re: removing scuff marks from dash

you have tint on the windshield?

2014 Silver Ram Laramie 4x4 w/ leather and Alpine sound
2008 Red Brawn Titan SE 4x4 Popular package
[
#3 (permalink) Old 08-06-2012, 06:20 PM

yeah, just the strip at the top

2008 350Z
Bolt-ons

2012 Titan SV Crew Cab
Intake, Cajun B pipes
#4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 03:53 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Most likely the scuffs are there forever. The interior plastic on these Titans is not very good quality, unfortunately. I've had 2 of them and that's one of the few things I seriously dislike about my truck. I think someone would do a boffo aftermarket business for replacement panels.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:53 PM

i've made them slightly less noticeable by continuously rubbing armor all wipes and also trying a meguires plastic conditioner/repair that didnt really work too well. but maybe the hybrid of those two together helped some b/c they are a little less noticeable

needless to say, i got a free sprayed in bedliner

2008 350Z
Bolt-ons

2012 Titan SV Crew Cab
Intake, Cajun B pipes
#6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 08:30 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I think you got the better deal. If you can't buff them out, can you cover them with something?

Action
#7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 09:15 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

The first things that come to mind are either mothers 'back to black' with some 1200-1600 grit, or glass scrub. Both can get quite messy if you leave the part installed. Otherwise I would consider some sort of bezel skin or sticking the Garmin dash mount right over the blemish.

Beer makes me smarterer
2009 CC long bed, extra napkins in glove box, ejector seat, 2* timing advance, a couple pens and paper along with a flashlight and candy in center console, Justin Bieber needs to die, I turn the wipers on when it rains, cabin air filters, headlights are good at night, junk mail gets thrown in back seat, forward launching napalm, washing machine parts and tow strap in rear door pocket, flux capacitor, & a full tank of gas.

Recently added: Herpes all over stereo bezel, spider nest in flux capacitor, really bad fart/vomit smell once windows are touched...door handles are where I keep my booger collection.

Jump to top