How to wire backup camera - Nissan Titan Forum
Electrical & Wiring Forum for discussion of all your Electrical & Wiring troubles and needs. Sponsored by Optima Batteries. Advertisement

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question How to wire backup camera

I searched the forum but couldn't find the info I'm looking for...

I ordered this backup camera for my 04 Titan 2X4 LE crew cab(no nav):
Safesight SC9201 Universal 3.5 inch LCD Monitor and Rear View Back Up Reverse Parking License Plate Mount Camera with Wireless Transmitter

It's wireless - my dilemma is how to wire the power for the camera and the display unit.

I pull a big trailer and would like to be able to have the camera work while driving so I can see the hitch area. So I don't want to wire the power for the camera to the backup lights. I'm not keen on wiring it to full time or switched power, don't want to wear the thing out prematurely. I'm leaning towards powering it by the license plate lights - so all I need to do is turn the lights on to make the camera work. What do you guys all think about this idea? Any suggestions?

On to the display - I plan on mounting it inside the first sunglasses compartment that's behind the mirror. I'm at a loss as to where to hook up the power for the display. Ideally I'd like it to turn on when the parking lights come on (like the rear camera) but I haven't a clue where to splice in to find that wire. Anyone know? Or have some other suggestions?

Thanks for the help all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 09:55 AM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Re: How to wire backup camera

I did exactly what you are talking about with my back up camera with my GPS (although my GPS is on switched power). I have a switch in the open part of the center console that powers the back up camera any time I want, but it also automatically comes on when in Reverse.

There is a couple ways of doing this:

1. Use a 4 post relay - 12v switched from an add-a-fuse on the pass. side power point fuse. Then the trigger for the relay is the reverse light wire found in the pass. side kick panel (green and white IIRC). You have your ground and then the power wire to the camera.

On the power wire to the camera, wire a switch inline that also has power from the add-a-fuse. So it bypasses the relay and gives power directly to the camera. ( no feedback to the reverse wires due to relay)

For the monitor - use another 4 post relay- this time with power from another switched source with an add-a-fuse and the trigger wire coming from the cameras power wire. So that anytime the camera recieves power, the relay gives power to the monitor. All of these are protected by relays and fuses now.

2. For extra protection use an extra relay in the camera's "on" switch circuit (I don't think its really necessary). Or you can use a on/off/on three way switch instead of any relays. Top post will be 12v switched, middle post to camera/monitor, and the bottom post connected to the reverse wire. So "up" on the switch is on, "middle" is always off, "bottom" is only on when in reverse. You could also use a relay on the trigger side (reverse wire).

Hope that made any sort of sense...I can draw you a diagram using paint - won't be pretty, but it will do the job.
The Following User Says Thank You to smon For This Useful Post:
sasilverbullet (02-11-2012)
#3 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:47 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
I did exactly what you are talking about with my back up camera with my GPS (although my GPS is on switched power). I have a switch in the open part of the center console that powers the back up camera any time I want, but it also automatically comes on when in Reverse.

There is a couple ways of doing this:

1. Use a 4 post relay - 12v switched from an add-a-fuse on the pass. side power point fuse. Then the trigger for the relay is the reverse light wire found in the pass. side kick panel (green and white IIRC). You have your ground and then the power wire to the camera.

On the power wire to the camera, wire a switch inline that also has power from the add-a-fuse. So it bypasses the relay and gives power directly to the camera. ( no feedback to the reverse wires due to relay)

For the monitor - use another 4 post relay- this time with power from another switched source with an add-a-fuse and the trigger wire coming from the cameras power wire. So that anytime the camera recieves power, the relay gives power to the monitor. All of these are protected by relays and fuses now.

2. For extra protection use an extra relay in the camera's "on" switch circuit (I don't think its really necessary). Or you can use a on/off/on three way switch instead of any relays. Top post will be 12v switched, middle post to camera/monitor, and the bottom post connected to the reverse wire. So "up" on the switch is on, "middle" is always off, "bottom" is only on when in reverse. You could also use a relay on the trigger side (reverse wire).

Hope that made any sort of sense...I can draw you a diagram using paint - won't be pretty, but it will do the job.
Thanks! It makes lots of sense...but this would require running power wires from the cab back to the camera, I was trying to avoid that. I can do the relay thing and tap off the back-up lights power for the camera - but then that would negate being able to turn it on at any time, which I really want to do.

So I guess I'll have to run power wires to the camera - thanks for all the help. Hopefully I'll be able to work on this Saturday or Sunday. Please check the forum often for any "HELP" topics from me!

#4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:54 PM

No problem. Very true about running wires. Looks like you have to give up something.

I would keep all the relays inside the cab for protection and it only requires one power wire back to the camera. Not bad if you keep everything behind the glove box then run the wires through the kick panel, down each door sill, then just out the vent behind the rear seat and along the harness already connected to the frame.
#5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,132 Times in 1,493 Posts
Garage

The relay for my backup lights is mounted up high in the taillight housing. Seems OK to me. I tied my wireless backup camera to the backup lights. It was pretty easy to do but tapping into the license plate lights would be easy also. The screen is plugged in and place on the dash (in front of the nav screen) when I need it. It kind of sounds like you're over thinking this.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore
#6 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 AM

The only thing that complicates the install is the switch to run the camera whenever he wants. Just requires one relay, a switch, and one power wire...so really not too bad, but almost defeats the purpose of spending extra to get wireless capability.

The problem with using the license plate wire to trigger the camera is that it causes some glare (assuming its mounted to the plate). Not too bad for backing up in a parking lot, but you lose a lot of distance at night when the plate lamps come on. It's not as bad with LED lights in there instead of the stock bulbs.

Jump to top