Nissan Titan Forum banner

New owner of a used Titan. Brake light/Electrical issue help requested!

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  BBQCHEF 
#1 ·
Hello forum.

I am a new owner of a used 2006 Titan with the tow package. I am having a strange electrical issue that I could use some help resolving. My brake lights do not work when my headlights are on. 3rd brake light works fine, and the brake lights work fine with my headlights are off, but the minute I turn the headlights on and press the brake pedal, the rear lights go out.

Doing some research online, it appears that it could be due to a bad ground somewhere, or a bad socket. I checked the fuses and everything seems fine there. Also, it appears the previous owner installed an aftermarket brake controller for a trailer, but I don't have a trailer hooked up to my truck.

My first question is whether or not anyone has had this particular problem. My second question is where is the ground to the brake lights located? I'd like to at least attempt to fix this myself before I take it to a garage or dealership to get fixed. Thanks in advance for any help/responses.

#3 ·
It's not a common problems that you read about everyday here.
First thing I would do is remove the e-brake controller and see if the problem still exist.
Do you know if the tail lights are still stock? Some aftermarket LEDs tail light or bulbs have been known to cause crazy problems.
Could be a bad headlight stalk causing a short, could be anything.
I don't know where the ground attach to but you could trace it from the brake light socket itself or better yet just run a new ground.
Good luck!

#4 ·
VBB Ive never had the problem but as a precaution look under the dash since the previous owner had a trailer brake hooked up. Look for the trailer brake connector and the headlight switch wiring to see if anything looks bad . They may have spliced into something wrong under there. I would go ahead and replace the brake and rear running light bulbs and check the sockets for corrosion that might be the problem . Look under the bumper as well for any bad T-tap connections from the trailer wiring harness. Basically just check everything out after you find the problem to make sure your brake wiring is safe .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.