Nissan Titan Forum banner

Tips for New Owner

710 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  FishnAlaska 
#1 ·
Hey guys!

Just bought an '05 LE Titan w/138k on it. So far all I've done is change the oil (Mobil 1 HM 5w-30/K&N filter) and did a transmission drain and fill with S-matic fluid.

Next opportunity I get, would like to change out following:

-Spark plugs (NGK Iridium IX)
-Battery (Interstate)
-Grounding cables

Besides fluids, can any of you tell me what to look out for on early 1st gen Titans?

Would appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

#2 ·
Look for differential fluid around the wheels, real seals like to leak, I would suggest doing the axle vent mod (many threads on it just search). Check your rear differential cover to see if it is finned, if it isn't, I would swap it out. Wouldn't hurt to change your differential fluid (75w-140). Manifolds like to crack too.

Reactions: VRamkelawan
#4 ·
I would suggest doing the axle vent mod (many threads on it just search). Check your rear differential cover to see if it is finned, if it isn't, I would swap it out. Wouldn't hurt to change your differential fluid (75w-140). Manifolds like to crack too.
gonna have to look into this vent mod i keep seeing that must be done. also, rear diff cover finned is new to me...does it matter i'm 2wd? for the differential fluid i see how it needs to be changed but how do you know how much to fill?

#3 ·
There is plenty...this forum has loads of information if you have the time to sit and read through it all...you'll need a lot of time! the platform has been around for a while.

Check axle seals for leaks/check the axle vent for cloggs
Exhaust leaks?
Transmission lines leaking/chaffing anywhere?
Is the radiator in good condition?
any CEL?
Brakes ok? any shutter when braking?

I thought matic j was the preffered tranny juice, but a quick google search said matic s would work too...learned something new today. I know from previous forums, that some castrol amsoil transmission fluids work too, but they are more exotic/expensive.

#7 ·
Yea, mine didn't look that bad when I did the mod at 20k or so, but I could see how it could have failed if any measureable amounts of dirt or water were introduced to it.

#8 ·
Awesome! Thanks guys! This has definitely been helpful.

Next question-

For the rear axle vent mod, I found a kit through cajunbpipes. I haven't yet found a complete write-up (feel free to throw out link), but would you lose any gear oil in process?

I ask because I'm about to move and tow my girlfriend's Jeep. So I thought about taking to shop to exchange fluid on front and rear differentials and maybe the transfer case.

Could I do this mod after taking care of diff fluid on my own at a later time?

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.