Any Way to Bypass a Bad Starter Motor, In General (Non-Titan) - Nissan Titan Forum
Off-Topic Discussion Discussion of Off-Topic items.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:03 PM

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Any Way to Bypass a Bad Starter Motor, In General (Non-Titan)

Hi Gents

I am a shadetree mechanic at best.

In general, is there anyway to bypass a bad starter motor on a car. I've got a tank to move around ('97 Crown Victoria with armor plating), but I only need it to start a few times before it gets scrapped.

Replacing the starter motor (specifically getting to all three bolts) "properly" is not an option due to massive salt corrosion, the PITA specialty tools socket adaptors needed to get to one of the bolts, and my general lack of interest in buying more tools and taking a weekend to figure this out (all while knowing the starter might not be on the only problem with the car).

So lets say I only need to drive the car in and around a parking lot a few times. Can I get a new starter, bolt it to the hood, and run some longer wires (somehow just clipping the other ones)?

TOW-4X: '06 KC 4x4 BT (Build in Progress)
MODS: 08' Springs/5100s, JBA LT, 08' Brakes, PML diff/tranny, Tranny Bypas Cooler, '08 Shackles, Prodigy, PRO-4x Wheels, Custom Horse/Car Trailer

JBA Header Install by CIN Motorsports in Charlotte.

SOLD: '05 CC 4x4 BT PIX
MODS: Icons, 08' Springs/5100s, PML diff, PRG Shackles, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Prodigy, Airbags, 20x10 BMF Novakanes, Cooper Zeon LTZs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:09 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,415 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: Any Way to Bypass a Bad Starter Motor, In General (Non-Titan)

Good luck, I don't know of any way to do it and neither does this guy but he has a good explanation of why not.

The car/light truck automatic transmission only have one pump which it is in the front of the transmission and it need engine power to run the pump that why 99% of light truck / car automatic do not push start at all due there is no hydrallic pressure to push the clutch pack in when the engine is off.

very few semi truck do have dual pumps it can be push started due have both pumps in input and output shaft.

One of my service truck have hevey duty Allison automatic and yes it can be push start due dual pump set up { a very old automatic set up most modern one are single pump set up }

Merci,Marc

IRC VK56 Member "BIG CHIEF WANNARACEUM"
2005 XE, "Land Shark",1/4 MILE: 13.851 AT 98.52
Full Street Trim on Snow Tires Record HolderBuild date 3/05

Performance mods: UpRev, JWT cams, NISMO CAI, NISMO True Duals with Dr Gas Xpipe, NISMO Headers with Swain's White Lightning Coating, Suncoast Ram Air Hood, Tru Trac, Burnout mod

Aesthetic mods: NISMO graphics, Grillcraft, Retrax, De-badged, 2" PRG lift, Titan fog lights, 18" LE wheels 285/60/18 Dueler Alenza tires, 35% tint

Stereo mods: Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS head unit, Audison LRX 4/300 Amp, Boston 6x9 coaxials front & Focal 6.5 coaxial rears with JL tweeters in dash.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:10 PM

You can't really bypass a starter, it has to engage the flywheel to start the engine. If you had clear access to the crank pulley bolt, you might be able to use a big air wrench to start it.

If you are just moving it around to part it out, I'd say just get some help pushing it.

- 2004 Galaxy Black KC OR 4x4 -
Towing Mods: B&W gooseneck hitch, Nissan aluminum finned diff cover, Amsoil 75w-140 synth gear lube, Tekonsha Voyager brake controller, 7-way plug where the 12v bed outlet used to be.

Adam Model 2020 3-horse gooseneck trailer
#4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rtc1184 Send a message via Yahoo to rtc1184

if when you turn the key it just clicks or are you not getting any noise at all? cause the fords have an external starter sylenoid on the fender. if it clicks it is the sylenoid which you can cross terminals with a metal screw driver. also if you can get under the car you can run a jumper cable from your truck to a neg(frame) and take the pos and touch it on the back of the start, this will also let the starter spin without any help. turn the key to run position and hit it with the jumper cables. if the motor runs she will fire right up.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw357 View Post
If you are just moving it around to part it out, I'd say just get some help pushing it.
I hear that. Unfortunately this has already resulted in one really sore back and possibly a slipped disk and a dented front chrome bumper on my otherwise clean truck (building a pushbar for it right now).

The thing is really heavy, I think I've maxed out the front shocks with all the added weight. It's not for parts, either: it's a picture car for a photo shoot and I'm doing the opposite of parting, I'm adding onto it, and maneuverability in and out of the shop would be awesome.

MODS: 08' Springs/5100s, JBA LT, 08' Brakes, PML diff/tranny, Tranny Bypas Cooler, '08 Shackles, Prodigy, PRO-4x Wheels, Custom Horse/Car Trailer

MODS: Icons, 08' Springs/5100s, PML diff, PRG Shackles, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Prodigy, Airbags, 20x10 BMF Novakanes, Cooper Zeon LTZs

Last edited by Blevinger; 03-11-2010 at 12:48 PM.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtc1184 View Post
if when you turn the key it just clicks or are you not getting any noise at all?
No that bastered is cranking and cranking but the engine won't fire. A resto-mechanic a few buildings down told me it was the starter. I also just put a new battery in it, originally thinking that was the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtc1184 View Post
cause the fords have an external starter sylenoid on the fender. if it clicks it is the sylenoid which you can cross terminals with a metal screw driver. also if you can get under the car you can run a jumper cable from your truck to a neg(frame) and take the pos and touch it on the back of the start, this will also let the starter spin without any help. turn the key to run position and hit it with the jumper cables. if the motor runs she will fire right up.
This sounds intriguing, I guess the key would be being able to get to the back of the starter: in this case it's hand room to maneuver that is the problem and the Crown Vic starter mounts to a plate between the tranny and motor. Guess I'll craw under there and look. Though I'm not sure I can tell the front from the back of a starter.

#7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Banned

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to rtc1184 Send a message via Yahoo to rtc1184

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blevinger View Post
No that bastered is cranking and cranking but the engine won't fire. A resto-mechanic a few buildings down told me it was the starter. I also just put a new battery in it, originally thinking that was the problem.

This sounds intriguing, I guess the key would be being able to get to the back of the starter: in this case it's hand room to maneuver that is the problem and the Crown Vic starter mounts to a plate between the tranny and motor. Guess I'll craw under there and look. Though I'm not sure I can tell the front from the back of a starter.
if the motor is turning over, but it isnt starting, that isnt your starter! that is just bad gas, plugs, pump, filter, timing off. unless you think the starter is just spinng too slow to start the engine?

you can tell the front from the back! the front will be bolted to the motor for the flywheel.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 20,999 Times in 12,512 Posts
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

It's a Ford!
Make sure it has gas.
Make sure the impact switch for the fuel pump hasn't been triggered. It is usually somewhere in the trunk area on a sedan.

The guy down the way doesn't know jack schit about cars. If it cranks, the problem is not the starter motor.

BaldWhore
Starfishwhore

Red meat is not bad for you.
Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

You know you had a great night last night when you make it home the next day missing at least half your clothes.

It's not the zombies you have to watch out for. It's the stupid people.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleeme View Post
It's a Ford!
Make sure it has gas.
I did, immediately, put two new fresh gallons in it when the starting problem happened, even though it was previously being driven around the shop and yard with just under a 1/4 tank. Should I add more.

Quote:
Make sure the impact switch for the fuel pump hasn't been triggered. It is usually somewhere in the trunk area on a sedan.
I think this is a serious possibility as I've been modding the trunk quite heavily. I haven't seen any switches, just one electrical lead running from the interior front firewall to directly above the gas tank (what happens after the grommet is foreign to me). I will research this.

Quote:
The guy down the way doesn't know jack schit about cars. If it cranks, the problem is not the starter motor.
That's good to hear someone say that, as I know I know don't know much, but my first instinct was fuel pump, wires, distributor (all things I also don't know much about). He's an older dude with two old lifted Land Cruisers in his shop so maybe that's why I get respecting my elder Toyota drivers?

#10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Premium User

The fuel pump inertia switch is located on the passenger side kick panel,Behind the plastic cover.

Found that on google.
Find it and push the reset button.

BaldWhore
Starfishwhore

You know you had a great night last night when you make it home the next day missing at least half your clothes.

#11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:16 PM
Premium User

LMAO!
This thread came up in the first page of google search results.

BaldWhore
Starfishwhore

#12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
LMAO!
This thread came up in the first page of google search results.
wow that is fast

#13 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 05:01 PM

Thanked 1,931 Times in 1,415 Posts

Sometimes a bad Bendix clutch will cause a starter to spin but fail to engage.

Starters 101 with some good repair advice.

YouTube - how car starter motors work

IRC VK56 Member "BIG CHIEF WANNARACEUM"
2005 XE, "Land Shark",1/4 MILE: 13.851 AT 98.52
Full Street Trim on Snow Tires Record HolderBuild date 3/05

Performance mods: UpRev, JWT cams, NISMO CAI, NISMO True Duals with Dr Gas Xpipe, NISMO Headers with Swain's White Lightning Coating, Suncoast Ram Air Hood, Tru Trac, Burnout mod

Aesthetic mods: NISMO graphics, Grillcraft, Retrax, De-badged, 2" PRG lift, Titan fog lights, 18" LE wheels 285/60/18 Dueler Alenza tires, 35% tint

Stereo mods: Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS head unit, Audison LRX 4/300 Amp, Boston 6x9 coaxials front & Focal 6.5 coaxial rears with JL tweeters in dash.
#14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 01:25 PM

Location: In the windy Columbia Gorge, in Washington, the state

If you can spin that beater with the starter, have spark, and just need to move it 20 feet to disassemble it, get a little raw gas (couple of ounces) and dump it down the intake.

Forget fiddling with the fuel injection, especially if all you're going to do is pull it apart. This will get the pig to start and run long enough so you can jam it in gear and get it to move. When it quits, shoot some more gas down its throat and repeat the move. Start that thing with the trans in neutral and as soon as it catches, drop it to drive and get it moving.

Heck, if you can get to it, hot-wire the neutral bypass switch on the trans and try to start it in drive. The starter can spin the engine fast enough to move the car.

There are still a few things that work old-school. Don't try to over-think it.

Steamguy

Deepwater Blue, when it's not Dirt Brown. Yes, this truck is used as a TRUCK. If I wanted something to sit in the driveway and look pretty, I'd have bought another motorcycle.
Trailer-puller, meadow work truck, thrill ride for a rescued Golden.
Born 11/11/03, first one sold in the county, still the original owner.
#15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 08:12 AM

walleme and Titan Talk in general FOR THE WIN.

GD inertia switch in the trunk. Who knew? Beast fired right up.

For the record, Steamguy with his old-school shout sounds right on the money. That's some good trickery, keeping it simple.

Thanks Gents. She moves!

Jump to top