Taking Christmas gifts away as a punishment? - Nissan Titan Forum
Off-Topic Discussion Discussion of Off-Topic items.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:08 AM

iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Taking Christmas gifts away as a punishment?

I have a daughter that is about to turn 6, and she is very much so our problem child. She does not respect my wife and continues to talk back to her. She has been very bad at school especially this month. Her teacher grades each day with a "light system." A green light is a great day, a yellow light is an okay day, and a red light is a bad day. She has earned red lights on all but 2 days this month. They all start on green to start the day, and if they move to yellow or red, they have the opportunity to earn the green back. This shows my daughter has not made attempts to earn it back. She was on red most of yesterday until her teacher told her she couldn't make ginger bread houses unless she earned at least yellow. She got yellow. She yells at the teacher, makes noises that are loud enough to disrupt the entire class, touches other kids when they ask her to leave them alone, has thrown chairs, and punched other kids. This morning, she stole from us.

I told my wife it was the final straw, and I was taking her Christmas gifts away (not gifts from relatives, but the ones we bought her). My wife didn't like this, and we argued about it all morning. She said we can't take Christmas away from her, and I told her that Christmas is about giving to others, so we can donate her gifts to Toys for Tots (not saying this is the only reason we would make a donation...we already made a donation). Am I wrong for wanting to take them away?

Earlier this year, we setup an easy reward system for a Disneyland trip. We said if she didn't earn it, she would stay with her grandparents. She didn't earn it, but we took her and it bit us in the @$$. She was terrible that trip. Later this year, we setup another easy reward system for a SeaWorld trip. She didn't earn it, but again we took her and again it bit us. We took her on the trips because we realize we shouldn't use family time as a punishment, but she did nothing but cause trouble.

2008 Nissan Titan XE Crew Cab with Popular Package

PERFORMANCE: BullyDog PP | Airaid MXP 4" Missile Intake | Stillen High Flow B-Pipes | Flowmaster True Dual Super 40 | Tru Cool 4588 Transcooler
SUSPENSION: 08+ 4x4 Coils | Bilstein 5100 Struts| 1.5" PRG Blocks | Bilstein 5125 Shocks
GOODIES: HID Low Beam and Fog Lights | 4 Kragen HID's on Defiant Light Bar | Window Screen Mod | Axle Vent Mod | Custom Traction Bars | OnFair Headrest Monitors | TonnoPro TriFold Tonneau | Fumoto Drain Valve | Hankook Dynapro ATM 275/60/20 | 20x9 Ballistic Jesters -12 offset
OTHER RIDE: 2007 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4 | 4 Rigid Duallys | Custom Light bar | Plasti Dipped Wheels | Hankook Dynapro ATM 245/70/17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:12 AM

Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,101 Posts
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Re: Taking Christmas gifts away as a punishment?

My kids get their butts tore up and everything taken away for bad marks in school. And talking back is not allowed at all. I have even turned the breaker off in their room for some things. Sorry, but I would beat my kids arse for doing that stuff no matter what my wife said.

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood I plan on leaving this world the same way.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to helomech For This Useful Post:
A.I.I.Raciing (12-16-2010), honda250xtitan (12-15-2010), madrock (12-15-2010)
#3 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 21,716 Times in 10,360 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Sounds like a good old fashioned trip to the woodshed is in order, swiftly and surely.....

TrainingWheelsWhore™
08 Pro4X
Wife's ride '12 Maxima S Limited Edition
Click here for mods
My Pics
The Following User Says Thank You to 4mula1fan For This Useful Post:
madrock (12-15-2010)
#4 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Premium User

Thanked 21,008 Times in 12,518 Posts
iTrader Score: 18 reviews

My dad used to beat us.
It's amazing how fast you learn behavior.

This kid has your number. You are going to have to outsmart her.

BaldWhore
Starfishwhore

Red meat is not bad for you.
Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

You know you had a great night last night when you make it home the next day missing at least half your clothes.

It's not the zombies you have to watch out for. It's the stupid people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walrus For This Useful Post:
A.I.I.Raciing (12-16-2010), madrock (12-15-2010)
#5 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:20 AM
Premium User

Thanked 1,071 Times in 758 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

a 5 year old doing all of this?!!! some kids need the butts beat to keep them inline

2014 Silver Ram Laramie 4x4 w/ leather and Alpine sound
2008 Red Brawn Titan SE 4x4 Popular package
[
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmyAviation For This Useful Post:
madrock (12-15-2010)
#6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Premium User

my dad would beat my brother's and I butt if we backed talked or got out of line

[
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmyAviation For This Useful Post:
madrock (12-15-2010)
#7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helomech View Post
My kids get their butts tore up and everything taken away for bad marks in school. And talking back is not allowed at all. I have even turned the breaker off in their room for some things. Sorry, but I would beat my kids arse for doing that stuff no matter what my wife said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula1fan View Post
Sounds like a good old fashioned trip to the woodshed is in order, swiftly and surely.....
Oh, believe me I want to! I grew with a dad that had his feet very planted in his asian culture. My arse saw the broom stick, wooden spoon, and my favorite the extension cord for acting out when I was growing up. The thing about it...it taught me to respect not only my parents but to respect others. I always greet my elders with a sir or ma'am. I always answer yes, not yeah.

PERFORMANCE: BullyDog PP | Airaid MXP 4" Missile Intake | Stillen High Flow B-Pipes | Flowmaster True Dual Super 40 | Tru Cool 4588 Transcooler
SUSPENSION: 08+ 4x4 Coils | Bilstein 5100 Struts| 1.5" PRG Blocks | Bilstein 5125 Shocks
GOODIES: HID Low Beam and Fog Lights | 4 Kragen HID's on Defiant Light Bar | Window Screen Mod | Axle Vent Mod | Custom Traction Bars | OnFair Headrest Monitors | TonnoPro TriFold Tonneau | Fumoto Drain Valve | Hankook Dynapro ATM 275/60/20 | 20x9 Ballistic Jesters -12 offset
OTHER RIDE: 2007 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4 | 4 Rigid Duallys | Custom Light bar | Plasti Dipped Wheels | Hankook Dynapro ATM 245/70/17
#8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Premium User

Thanked 9,127 Times in 5,657 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bills1974

Please don't take this the wrong way, but based on what you describe, it sounds like you're having problems way beyond punishments...

I have a 6 year old daughter myself, and I couldn't imagine going through that.

Have you thought about taking her to a child psychologist or even as a family gone to speak with someone?

Does she have any siblings that are being affected by her behavior?

Based on what you describe, I'm not really sure taking just "Santa's" gifts away would even have any impact on her...

Again, please don't take any of what I said the wrong way because I'm only going off what you describe...best of luck to you man, it must be a horrible thing to have to deal with...

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Cowl Done With Bedliner
Radiator Bypassed - Transmission Fluid
Wife's Ride: 2014 Infiniti Q50 S
My Other Ride: 2007 Sea Doo Speedster 200

AKA: Crossdresser Whore™
The Bald Avenger®

"It's really bad when I have to go into the fridge to count how many beers I had last night because I lost track."
"Why is the rum always gone?"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bills1974 For This Useful Post:
Kronos1965 (12-15-2010), madrock (12-15-2010), tnbowhunter (12-15-2010)
#9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:27 AM

Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTitanSE View Post
Oh, believe me I want to! I grew with a dad that had his feet very planted in his asian culture. My arse saw the broom stick, wooden spoon, and my favorite the extension cord for acting out when I was growing up. The thing about it...it taught me to respect not only my parents but to respect others. I always greet my elders with a sir or ma'am. I always answer yes, not yeah.
I firmly believe some kids need to be whooped, others don't. But I also believe not whooping a kid that needs it is bad. I told my 15 year old the other day if I heard him talk back to his mom one more time (only did it once) that me and him where going in the yard and having a fight. I don't mean a whooping any more, one of us is getting hurt.

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood I plan on leaving this world the same way.
#10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:34 AM
Premium User

Thanked 21,716 Times in 10,360 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Be a parent first, be buddies second...Best wishes in this matter.

TrainingWheelsWhore™
08 Pro4X
Wife's ride '12 Maxima S Limited Edition
Click here for mods
My Pics
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4mula1fan For This Useful Post:
honda250xtitan (12-15-2010), madrock (12-15-2010)
#11 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:35 AM
Premium User

Thanked 6,977 Times in 5,002 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DeadRiver

I think what your daughter is doing is considered posturing. She's learned to manipulate you and your wife to get what she wants. She's learned there is no real consequence for her actions and continues to bend the rules, and break them.

I have a 3 year old that is beginning to posture himself in this manner and I'm nipping it right in the butt. You have to make her accountable for her actions. No rewards for red days, no reward for yellow days. If she wants something when she gets home, IE tv time, playing with toys, etc. take it away from her. You have too or she'll get worse.

As dumb as this sounds watch a few episodes of Supernanny. You aren't the only one having this issue, and it can be corrected.

Your daughter is trying to find her place in the household. You have to make her realize you're the boss and you make the rules.

2004 Sedona Titan LE CC 4wd
75,000 mi. 1/22/14

Link to DeadRivers' Overhead Racks with Bed Extender MOD Link to DeadRivers Titan Photos
2° | Sliding Bed Extender | 07 Bed Divider | OEM Overhead Racks | 10" BA Sub in a www.tech12volts.com Enclosure

PA Chapter Director

Link to MPV Titans Facebook Page
I should stop having my suit dry cleaned, it seems to kill people.
I'm not worried, I have a Titan with 4wd and a pair of balls.
You can lead a moron to knowledge but you cannot make him think.
I should probably buy more bullets.
The Urinator™
The Following User Says Thank You to DeadRiver For This Useful Post:
madrock (12-15-2010)
#12 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:35 AM

You need to have your child tested. At 6 yrs old she shows that kind of anger with no consequences? In society we always yell about having to raise other peoples children because they won't discipline them, this is a perfect example of that. Sorry if I offend you but you need to first make sure she doesn't have a mental problem that a doctor can help with and then you need to open her eyes to serious consequences so that she understands early on in life that she doesn't rule her world. Good luck and merry christmas.
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk9 For This Useful Post:
madrock (12-15-2010)
#13 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills1974 View Post
Please don't take this the wrong way, but based on what you describe, it sounds like you're having problems way beyond punishments...

I have a 6 year old daughter myself, and I couldn't imagine going through that.

Have you thought about taking her to a child psychologist or even as a family gone to speak with someone?

Does she have any siblings that are being affected by her behavior?

Based on what you describe, I'm not really sure taking just "Santa's" gifts away would even have any impact on her...

Again, please don't take any of what I said the wrong way because I'm only going off what you describe...best of luck to you man, it must be a horrible thing to have to deal with...
Not at all!

She was adopted as a foster child, so she has experienced quite a bit in her life. She was in foster care at 2 and stayed in foster care until we adopted her. During her time in foster care, she met with a child behavior coach and a therapist once a week for over a year. Both signed off saying she met all of the requirements, whatever that meant so the appointments stopped.

She is good when she wants to be. I know this may sound bad, but it is why I don't show as much empathy to her as I did when we first fostered her. When she truly knows something is at stake, like the ginger bread house, she will be good.

Last edited by madrock; 12-15-2010 at 07:38 AM.
#14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Premium User

wow, thats hard on a child being in foster care

[
#15 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:52 AM
Premium User

Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,199 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

You have your hands full for sure.
Taking away possession is not the way to go about things. Telling her she cannot go on a trip will only make her resent you both more.
She has both you and her teachers numbers.
Almost sounds like there has been no boundaries in her life.
I would start off by having her sit facing into the corner for 10 minutes, no talking, no sounds. Make sure there isn't anything around she can grab. You will have to make sure she stays. The one thing children do not like is sitting still.
What ever you two decide you have to stay with it or follow through. Giving in is only telling her she can get away with what she is doing and be rewarded.
Something else that might help. Some children like structure/routine.
Something else to look into. Has she complained about headaches, pain, etc. I'm not saying there is a medical issue but you never know.

Please, do not take any of this the wrong way. I have a 14yr daughter and she can be a typical teenager (drama Queen) but she is an angle at friends homes, respects her elders. She loves structure and being on a routine.

08.5 SE CC, 4x4, Smoke
My Garage
Link to my Mod's

Jump to top