Credit Card Fraud?? - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum
Off-Topic Discussion Discussion of Off-Topic items.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 PM

Thanked 2,916 Times in 1,952 Posts
iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Credit Card Fraud??

As a retailer I do check and double check all credit card transactions. I know if it end up fraud I don't loose money but it's a big hassle to deal with
paper work ect.... Sometimes they hold that amount till "investigation" is clear. That's money I could be using to better my business.
Even debit cards with PIN they can get your infos with a "skimmer". They'll actually install a skimmer over a legit ATM that take your info and PIN.
They have machine to make duplicates of your card. There was a situation here at a local mall where someone came and actually put a whole ATM machine in the food court.
Once you put your card in and inter PIN it just give you a message that transaction didn't work but the little laptop inside took your card info and PIN.
I don't use debit card period

Restaurants is another spot with lots of fraud involved, maybe not the owner but the waiter/waitress will use a little skimmer to take your infos.
There's people who pay good money for that infos.

Last edited by baseballfanz; 11-18-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 03:43 PM

iTrader Score: 6 reviews

My mom actually called me yesterday asking what to do about $400 that just got spent in Africa??? The card company called her to report fraud and the card got put on hold...no money back yet but shes expecting it soon.... my question: how do people in africa have internet?? all the tv shows show starving children.

alright that may have been over the top....

"Together we bleed Orange and White" Go Vols
#18 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 04:07 PM

It would be funny if someone got their cc "fraud" and a Stillen supercharger or some headers was bought or something like that.
Well maybe not so funny.
#19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
my question: how do people in africa have internet?? all the tv shows show starving children.

alright that may have been over the top....
There is plenty of technology on the continent of Africa. Even still hackers will bounce IP # around the globe. The POS thief could be your Mom's neighbor. If you run a firewall that logs IP #'s you can see where the hack is coming from. You might be surprised at how the IP tracker will follow a hacker around the globe.

2005 Titan KC SE
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Deep Water
2005 Titan CC
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Silver

2004 Keystone 24RS

---------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Shane06fl; 11-20-2012 at 05:28 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shane06fl For This Useful Post:
sharkey (11-18-2012)
#20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 04:40 PM

iTrader Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to spoonman Send a message via Yahoo to spoonman

Got taken for charges in France one time. I remember something that CHASE told me, not sure if its 100% true, but they told me generally, if the charges are international then more than likely the card info was stolen somewhere online, since the hackers/stealers collect it and then sell it to other hackers overseas. If the charges are in the US, then it might have been taken by a skimmer. But I think it was just some line fed "facts" they have in a script.

04 King Cab LE 4x2

285-70-17 Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10, 17" MB Razor's Plasti-Dipped, Airaid MXP CAI ,Billet Grille, NCD 2.5 inch leveling kit, Nismo (Bilstein made) Off Road Shocks, Banks Exhaust w/ Borla XR1, Center console wrapped in NeffyWrap dry carbon, Roof wrapped in LegitAccessories roof Carbon Wrap, Endless Auto Salon carbon hood wrap , Pro4x Flares, MetalWorx front Light Bar, 20" Double Row CREE LED Light Bar, 2011 retrofitted mini h1 headlights and TheRetroFitSource Morimoto Elite HID kit and TRS xBled Strips/ Halos

Radiator Information Thread: AEM BruteForce Install How-To How to Remove gated shifter console finisher Video:Video of Switchback LED Strips in action
#21 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 04:40 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 1,100 Times in 672 Posts
Garage

does not have to be anything too high tech like hacking, just a simple skimmer and your credit card is available for purchase. easy example, bad guy hooks up with a waitress in a restaurant. gives waitress a little skimmer she keeps in her apron. as customers come pay for food, she swipes the mag strip through the skimmer which reads the info on the mag strip. returns your card to you after charging you for your bill. after 10, 20 ...whatever number of swipes, she calls bad guy, bad guy gives her $50-100, she returns the skimmer to him. he either uses the info for his own purchases by remagnatising a blank card with your info, or sells the info on the internet for around $10-20 bucks each.

bottom line, if it has not happened to you yet, it probably will at some point if you use a credit card, whether it is on the internet or in hand to hand transactions, it can happen to anyone.
#22 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Instead of signing my business cards, I wrote "Check ID!" It works, more times than not. (I am aware that cards are not valid unless signed!)

2011 Titan KC, 4 X 4, (part time "work truck"), TracRac,
Galaxy black.
#23 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 05:54 PM

iTrader Score: 26 reviews

Someone from Texas hacked my PayPal account a couple months ago and transferred $600 to a fake PayPal. It took about a week for me to get the money back. My checking account got blacklisted by PayPal.

Another time, I had collection agency call to say I owed $580 for an AT&T cell phone account (I have AT&T). They had my name spelled wrong so I figured they were trying to scam me. I pulled a credit report but nothing negative showed. I didn't pay much attention to them until my sister called me about a month later saying the collection agency called her asking about my whereabouts. I had enough and called them. It turns out someone in Washington DC stole my identity, opened an account (misspelled my name), ran up charges and didn't pay. I worked with AT&T (they hassled me like it was my actual account that was late), and we ended up getting it written off as fraud.

2008 Nissan Titan XE Crew Cab with Popular Package

PERFORMANCE: BullyDog PP | Airaid MXP 4" Missile Intake | Stillen High Flow B-Pipes | Flowmaster True Dual Super 40 | Tru Cool 4588 Transcooler
SUSPENSION: 08+ 4x4 Coils | Bilstein 5100 Struts| 1.5" PRG Blocks | Bilstein 5125 Shocks
GOODIES: HID Low Beam and Fog Lights | 4 Kragen HID's on Defiant Light Bar | Window Screen Mod | Axle Vent Mod | Custom Traction Bars | OnFair Headrest Monitors | TonnoPro TriFold Tonneau | Fumoto Drain Valve | Hankook Dynapro ATM 275/60/20 | 20x9 Ballistic Jesters -12 offset
OTHER RIDE: 2007 Jeep Commander Sport 4x4 | 4 Rigid Duallys | Custom Light bar | Plasti Dipped Wheels | Hankook Dynapro ATM 245/70/17
#24 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 06:08 PM

iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Didn't have time to read all the responses but yes call your bank and dispute the charge, it's called a Reg E dispute for unauthorized charges. It may take your bank a bit to investigate this but they still should be able to issue you a provisional credit until they wrap up the case.......

Transmitted From Mars By Way Of Galaxy S2 Epic 4G While Sleeping

It's a Titan!!!
#25 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 AM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I had someone buy a bunch of stuff online with my Capital One card. Capital One called me and said the address didn't match, they shutdown the card, and overnighted me a new one. The money was back in my account before I even knew it was gone. It was the best customer support I have ever seen.

Mods: Custom Rock Sliders, LegitLED interior/bed lights and 55watt HID Hella 500s, Magellan 9055 nav bezel, backup camera, remote start, 2*advance, Goodolsen grounding kit, 100w hellaFF, complete sound deadening, RC UCA, 5100's middle setting, 1.5" front spacer, 1.5" rear spacer, DIY Window Tint.
#26 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
I had someone buy a bunch of stuff online with my Capital One card. Capital One called me and said the address didn't match, they shutdown the card, and overnighted me a new one. The money was back in my account before I even knew it was gone. It was the best customer support I have ever seen.
Same here, Capital One was pretty quick to shut down my card when they detected fraud on my account. Someone got a hold of my account, a card I haven't used for about 8 months. They made a few small online purchase for $10-$20, those went through them they tried a big purchase that got denied.

Sent from my 2005 Red Alert Titan via the Autoguide app on my ASUS Transformer.
#27 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 08:18 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyB View Post
Instead of signing my business cards, I wrote "Check ID!" It works, more times than not. (I am aware that cards are not valid unless signed!)
Thats what I do with my card. Learned that on my finance class and my dad asked why? And got mad about it. Two weeks later he lost his card one night we went out drinking and had a $300 bar tab from a different bar downtown. Karma

Sent from my ADR6400L using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2006 2WD SE Galaxy Black|Bedlined Wheels|Bedlined Mudflaps|JB's 5k HID headlights|JB's Super Reverse Lights|Blacked Out Taillights|Energy Suspension 2" front leveling kit|305/65/18 Flaken Rocky Mountain|Challenger Toolbox|

"Special modifications" : DIY Cracked manifolds, Screaming rear end mod, Front Driver end cap zip tie edition and more to come!

Performance: Insynerator Exhaust DI/DO|DIY Airbox Mod|

Audio/Video: Kenwood touch screen deck|2 JL W3 10" subwoofers w/ NO AMP... SEARCHING AS OF NOW!

PiNu Chapter
EAST CAROLINA PIRATES

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top