Too Tall for a Sport Bike?? - Nissan Titan Forum
Off-Topic Discussion Discussion of Off-Topic items.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 03:50 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Too Tall for a Sport Bike??

Im 6'7" and looking for a sport bike to purchase. I went to a Kawasaki dealership and they said I would be uncomfrontable driving the 600cc or a 1000cc ninja. But they had a left over 1400cc ninja the said would fit me good. Any one have any input. Im really not looking for a 1400cc 500lbs rocket. Im not just limited kawasaki.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:09 AM

Re: Too Tall for a Sport Bike??

Yeah, your too tall for them bikes. I'd try a gold wing, bmw cruiser or yamaha cruiser. Them bikes are pretty nice. I'm sure that's probably not what you want to hear. I'm 5'8" and I have to adjust my legs every so often to be comfortable. I can't even imagine being over 6 feet tall and try to ride a crotch rocket but everyone is different. I've seen a guy that was about 6'5" ridding a crotch rocket but he didn't look very comfortable.

2006 Titan XE 4x4 (PRG 4" Performance package)
2003 Evolution VIII (358awhp/354awtq) that's on 91octane, 22lbs boost, stock turbo.
2007 GSXR1000 (not enough road to touch redline)
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die tommorow" : James Dean.

Last edited by EVO8; 04-04-2008 at 04:12 AM.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:22 AM
Banned

iTrader Score: 6 reviews

Just because you have the potential to go 200 mph doesnt mean you have to right? If you are in the market for a sport bike....just go sit on a Busa or a ZX14. You prolly wont find anything more comfortable for you in that class. You could step to a more upright bike like a FZ1 or a Z1000, etc. They have a more upright stance than the others and still carry the same motors basiclly. I am almost a foot shorter than you and i had to get rid of my ZX6RR because i couldnt handle the stance. I went to a FZ6 and it is much better for me.
#4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:28 AM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 54warrior

I feel your pain...I'm 6'7" as well. Your best bet is to just adapt. I've been riding ATV's since about age 14 and after some time spent being cramped on one, your body adjusts and you adapt to it.

FWIW, I've been looking at bikes too, cruisers though, and having the same issue. I've never had a street motorcycle before and I'm a bit leary diving right in and getting the largest one made, just so I can fit on it. Same thing, I feel, should apply to you. It sounds like you're inexperienced and a 'busa is not a good 'starter' bike, no matter what anyone tells you.

Truck: 05 CC SE 4x4
Performance/Drivetrain: JBA CAtback w/ 2* Advance, PRG Driveshaft Spacer, PRG Street Traction Bars
Suspension: PC 6", SAW Coils, ProComp MX6 Adjustable Rear Shocks, Total Chaos Shackles, removed anti-sway bar
Wheels/Tires: Stock 6 Spoke Charcoal Wheels with Nitto Terra Grapplers-325/65R-18
Brakes: Stock w/ PRG Stainless Lines (Front)
Lighting: (3) Hella 500 Driving Lights
Misc: Husky Liners, Bug Shield, Tonneau, Bed Liner'ed Rockers, Home-Made© Skid Plates, Vent Visors
#5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:38 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG_Engineer
Im 6'7" and looking for a sport bike to purchase. I went to a Kawasaki dealership and they said I would be uncomfrontable driving the 600cc or a 1000cc ninja. But they had a left over 1400cc ninja the said would fit me good. Any one have any input. Im really not looking for a 1400cc 500lbs rocket. Im not just limited kawasaki.
nah u arent too tall, Im 6'6" and i find that suzuki has the most comfortable bikes out there, all of their gsx frames are the same size but you'll prolly feel more comfortable on a hayabusa. biggest bike and has a long streach, plus id take suzuki over kawasaki any day
#6 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 04:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54warrior
I feel your pain...I'm 6'7" as well. Your best bet is to just adapt. I've been riding ATV's since about age 14 and after some time spent being cramped on one, your body adjusts and you adapt to it.

FWIW, I've been looking at bikes too, cruisers though, and having the same issue. I've never had a street motorcycle before and I'm a bit leary diving right in and getting the largest one made, just so I can fit on it. Same thing, I feel, should apply to you. It sounds like you're inexperienced and a 'busa is not a good 'starter' bike, no matter what anyone tells you.
LMAO......ok. Like there is some big difference in a 600 vs. a 1400 when you get down to it in terms of speed? They all do 170+ all day long.

I am sure some people can show some self control while riding a sport bike. At your height you just wont be comfortable on a smaller bike period. Sounds like you want a sport bike, so the posiblities are kind of limited for someone of your size. The GSXR 1000 is great bike as well. It's not uncommon to see racers at the height of 6'5'' riding and racing those.

Maybe you should just go buy a Vespa since some question your abilities here.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 05:18 AM

Talking Re: Too Tall for a Sport Bike??

YEA, all bikes are quick, just on the bigger ones dont roll back hard on the throttle and everything will be aight. if ya do, you'll prolly end up sittin on the ground
#8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy365
LMAO......ok. Like there is some big difference in a 600 vs. a 1400 when you get down to it in terms of speed? They all do 170+ all day long.

I am sure some people can show some self control while riding a sport bike. A.
I've been riding for 35yrs, the last 25 on the street, and I still can't. The bike doenst come out unless it hits tripples a least a couple of times (unless one of the kids are with me). I'm 5'8" and I'm still cramped on Ducatis. For your size, the Busa is going to be one of the best choices, insurance isn't usually cheap though. Rob had a BMW K1200RS that had tons of room. Hondas ST1300 and Yamis FJR1300 are sport tourers with a decent amount of room. The Wing, at least the GL1800, is surprisingly sporty and tons of torque.....but HUGE. You might look at an adventure bike like the BMW R1150,strange front fender though, Triumph Tiger, or my Favorite, the Suzuki Vstrom 1000. You also might look at the Suzuki SV1000S, originally a naked bike, they make a version with full plastic, its a good size bike with sport looks and no slouch on performance.. My neighbor has a ZX14R. I've ridden it and much prefer the Busa. The 14R is a much smaller setup, which is fine for me, but if you aren't comfortable your not going to ride....so then whats the point?

Give BLOOD play HOCKEY-04 Titan SE CC Off-Road-05 Honda Odyssey EX-L Res
-89 Honda PC800-99 Suzuki 500 Quadrunner
#9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54warrior

Im far from inexperienced, I have driven V65 Magna, Harley Fat Boy, Honda 250, DR350, and a Harley Ultra Glide. But when it comes to the sport bikes I lack riding time. If a Sport bike ends up being too uncomfronable Im going with a V-rod or something in that class.

As for the FZ1 my fiance likes its but I didn't like the looks that much. From what I hear I need to look at the suzuki.

How are the Honda's in relation to the Ninja, and GSXR?
#10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:48 AM

Don't let some azzhat salesman tell you what you're going to like or not like. Ride a few and see what you like!

Mods: Bully Dog Tuner · 2* Timing Advance · AEM Brute Force · Burn-out Mod @ ECU · 18" Magnaflow
Nissan OEM Brush Guard · Hellwig Traction Springs · 4 Hella 500FF OR Lights
Line-X Bed Liner · Jason Topper · Nasta Nerf Bars

Wish List: Nitto Mud Grapplers · Rims

Waiting For Support On: TruTrac / PowerTrax
#11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Banned

The sad part about being in the market for a bike is you cant test drive them to REALLY get a feel of it. You can sit on it all day long in the showroom and make little noises like you are riding. Best thing to do is find someone willing to let you test ride their setup. There are lots of "sporty" alternatives to the "crotch rockets", you just gotta get to a dealer and sit on a few. Seeing as the bikes you mentioned(that you owned/driven) you shouldnt have any beef with a more standard bike in terms of power. Like stlblues mentioned....if you buy one that doesnt suit your needs you will more than likely not ride it enough to enjoy it, so whats the point? Unless you are one who is purely driving a bike for gas mileage.
#12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to t22a80

I ride a Triumph Speed Four. Its now discontinued but I like it because its different. It has now been replaced by the Street triple and its pretty cool. The Speed Triple is the 1050CC version and thats a cool bike. I know my local Triumph/Ducati dealer has demos but there arent many dealers that do. When I was looking around at the 600 sport bikes the Honda was the smallest.

My suggestion is to make a list of the bikes you are interested and call your insurance comany BEFORE you buy one. That could be the deciding factor for you.

Chad

AKA "Mini Whore™" And now AudioWhore™

MODS: CST 7" lift, PRG UCA, SAW coilovers, SAW rear shocks, Deaver spring pack, PRG blocks, MotoMetal 951's 20x9, Mickey Thompson 35x13.5 Baja ATZ, S&B intake, JBA cat-back, 2* timing, projector lights, HID conversion (fog and low beam), Eclipse CD5000, 2x Arc Audio XXK-2500's, CDT speakers HD-M6 mid, braxial mount DRT-26 tweeter, Upstage 500XT, ES-01 tweeters CL-6x (rear fill), HD-10" sub, Tech12volts box, Kicker wiring, Ramatt sound deading, Active Tuning grounding kit. More to come!

My audio install:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...y-install.html

Here is my friends Rav4 for comparison. The first pic doesn't do the lift justice!

#13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG_Engineer
Im far from inexperienced, I have driven V65 Magna, Harley Fat Boy, Honda 250, DR350, and a Harley Ultra Glide. But when it comes to the sport bikes I lack riding time. If a Sport bike ends up being too uncomfronable Im going with a V-rod or something in that class.

As for the FZ1 my fiance likes its but I didn't like the looks that much. From what I hear I need to look at the suzuki.

How are the Honda's in relation to the Ninja, and GSXR?
They are all dependable and fast, I prefer the ergonimics of the Suzukis, and every Suzuki I've owned has been bullit proof. I've had electrical bugs with the Yami's I've had, but that was back a few years. If your going to seriously thrash the bike, definately look at the Suzukis.

Give BLOOD play HOCKEY-04 Titan SE CC Off-Road-05 Honda Odyssey EX-L Res
-89 Honda PC800-99 Suzuki 500 Quadrunner
#14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:28 AM

I'm 6'4"/34".

I have ridden sports bikes all my life, most recently a Kawa ZRX1200. While fun, I did have the 'dog humping football' feeling on it :-)
Got tired of small bikes and bought the roomiest I could find: BMW R1200 GS Adventure. Love it: fits my frame (although I am still going to lower the pegs)
Pricey, but less than a Titan :-) The Kawa (which I kept), feels like a pocket bike now.

If you're just riding bikes on weekends and such, I wouldn't worry too much about size, you won't ride enough miles to care. There's a list on the net somewhere that lists bikes by seat height, that would be a good place to start.

Red Alert 2006 Titan Crew Cab LE 4x2 Big Tow
#15 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Banned

Rvandam.....that beemer looks like you should be flying across the desert delivering a monkey's heart for a transplant!!! That bike and the luggage looks like something out of the Baja 500!!!!

Both are nice bikes!!! The BMW is way too big for me from the looks.

Jump to top