What is a U joint and where is it located? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:51 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
What is a U joint and where is it located?

clicking, grinding noise going on. People tell me to check the U Joint and CV Joints. I have a 06 LE 2WD with 37,000 miles. Where are these joints located and could it be the cause of the sound that I'm hearing? Wheel assembly has been replaced and still have the sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:55 PM

Thanked 1,724 Times in 1,108 Posts
Re: What is a U joint and where is it located?

U-joints are on the drive shafts, and there are 2 on each one. You would probably hear a clicking type noise more than a grinding noise. Or if they are real bad you would have a bang every time you pushed the accelerator. I had one of my front drive shaft U-joints go out.

CV joints or constant velocity joints are on your front shafts that go to your front tires (if you have 4wd) and have a rubber boot on both sides. Those would make a noise, but usually only when you turn.

Just get under the truck and try to turn the drive shafts by hand. And look for a joint at the front and the back of the shaft to see if there is any play in them. If you can see any play they are bad. Don't get them from Nissan, they are like 70 bucks a piece autozone they are 8 bucks a piece.

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood I plan on leaving this world the same way.
The Following User Says Thank You to helomech For This Useful Post:
HAYNBOI96743 (10-26-2009)
#3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helomech View Post
U-joints are on the drive shafts, and there are 2 on each one. You would probably hear a clicking type noise more than a grinding noise. Or if they are real bad you would have a bang every time you pushed the accelerator. I had one of my front drive shaft U-joints go out.

CV joints or constant velocity joints are on your front shafts that go to your front tires (if you have 4wd) and have a rubber boot on both sides. Those would make a noise, but usually only when you turn.

Just get under the truck and try to turn the drive shafts by hand. And look for a joint at the front and the back of the shaft to see if there is any play in them. If you can see any play they are bad. Don't get them from Nissan, they are like 70 bucks a piece autozone they are 8 bucks a piece.
so no CV joints on 2WD'S CORRECT? There is a part with a boot under there, is it the same thing?
#4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAYNBOI96743 View Post
so no CV joints on 2WD'S CORRECT? There is a part with a boot under there, is it the same thing?

No, if you are two wheel drive, then you won't have CV joints.

2005 Nissan Titan KC SE 4X2 Tow package, popular package, drop in bedliner, Bilstien 5100's, running boards, 2* advance, 18" wheels, Rear sonar, adjustable pedals, 6-disc in dash CD, full frontal brush guard, heated mirrors, head mounted driver info center, auto adjust rear view mirror, home link system, Flowmaster Super 44 hidden dual exhaust, PowerStop drilled/slotted rotors, Cobra LTD 29 40 channel CB with dual antennas, tool box w/ black diamond plate, Firestone Destination LE RWL Tires

The Following User Says Thank You to Titan-ization For This Useful Post:
#5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
No cv joint on a 2wd, not sure what boot you are talking about. You will only have to U-joints on your truck.

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood I plan on leaving this world the same way.
#6 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:26 PM

should the U joints have any type of fluid leakage? looks like some type of oil is seaping out but nothing major. is this normal? Its not loose BTW. I believe the steering or tie rod has some sort of a boot. Tried pulling on both sides and its NOT loose.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
should the U joints have any type of fluid leakage? looks like some type of oil is seaping out but nothing major. is this normal? Its not loose BTW. I believe the steering or tie rod has some sort of a boot. Tried pulling on both sides and its NOT loose.
No the stock U-joints have should not have any signs of leakage. You must be looking at the wrong thing, take a pic of what you are looking at and then I could help you better. Don't pull the shaft, try to turn the shaft back and forth while looking at the u-joint.

#8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:35 PM

This is what a U-joint looks like, I just pulled this pic off the internet, it is not my truck. BTW this one is shot, and needs replaced bad.

#9 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
No the stock U-joints have should not have any signs of leakage. You must be looking at the wrong thing, take a pic of what you are looking at and then I could help you better. Don't pull the shaft, try to turn the shaft back and forth while looking at the u-joint.
This is a pic of the one with the most leakage. it does not rotate all the way around but I can turn it a little, enough to make a clicking/clamking noise
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mail.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	90726  
#10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
This is a pic of the one with the most leakage. it does not rotate all the way around but I can turn it a little, enough to make a clicking/clamking noise
If when you turn it you can see play in the joint it is bad and probably the cause of your noise. Change it as soon as you can. My truck does not have a boot right there, and the pic is VERY small so it is hard to tell where the leak is coming from. Is that the back near the rear end? If so your input to the rear may be leaking.

#11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
If when you turn it you can see play in the joint it is bad and probably the cause of your noise. Change it as soon as you can. My truck does not have a boot right there, and the pic is VERY small so it is hard to tell where the leak is coming from. Is that the back near the rear end? If so your input to the rear may be leaking.
its not the back, back one. The pic is right in the middle. I believe thats right after where they put the CBDB for more than 2" of rear lift. The rear one has seapage as well but not as much. Is this covered under the power train warranty? 60,000 miles?
#12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
its not the back, back one. The pic is right in the middle. I believe thats right after where they put the CBDB for more than 2" of rear lift. The rear one has seapage as well but not as much. Is this covered under the power train warranty? 60,000 miles?
I am confused. The titan only has 2 u-joints on the drive shaft. One near the transmission, and one near the rear end. I don't know what a cbdb is? And yes it should be covered under the warranty.

#13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I am confused. The titan only has 2 u-joints on the drive shaft. One near the transmission, and one near the rear end. I don't know what a cbdb is? And yes it should be covered under the warranty.
I know beats me. it has 2 for sure so the other one might not be one. Carrier bearing drop braket is for 2" or more rear lifted titans (2WD that is) that helps alter the angle for the drive shaft. Without it when you accelerate you will have major vibration. Helps with the drive line symetry. I guess since its covered it doen't hurt to take it in. Don't know what the leak is though. Thanks for all the help!
#14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
I know beats me. it has 2 for sure so the other one might not be one. Carrier bearing drop braket is for 2" or more rear lifted titans (2WD that is) that helps alter the angle for the drive shaft. Without it when you accelerate you will have major vibration. Helps with the drive line symetry. I guess since its covered it doen't hurt to take it in. Don't know what the leak is though. Thanks for all the help!
Your welcome, they should take care of any issues. Just don't let them tell you it is normal, if they say that tell them to show you a new one that does it.

The Following User Says Thank You to helomech For This Useful Post:
#15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 08:56 AM

My 2004 Titan's front driveshaft just about came apart on me at 63k miles. Thanks to this forum I diagnosed the problem and fixed it myself. I posted the project to YouTube if anyone needs step by step instructions... 2004 Nissan Titan Front Driveshaft U-joint Replacement - YouTube.
The Following User Says Thank You to riddled For This Useful Post:
Administrator (02-21-2012)

Jump to top