Strange Driveline Noise - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 03:28 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Strange Driveline Noise

I have been noticing a different type of driveline noise and was wondering if there were any suggestions. This howl is most noticeable between 20-30 mph, from a stop. It is fairly faint, so I can't tell for sure if it is coming from the front or rear. Here is the strange part, the howl is rpm matched. In other words, it gets a higher pitch as rpms increase and goes away after the transmission shifts. I think it is highest at close to 3000 rpms.

I have been waiting for a weekend without rain or snow to check the rear end fluid. The rear fluid and transmission fluid were changed at the dealer just before 30k, about 9 months ago. There is no evidence of seals leaking. I first noticed it the howl was about a month ago during when the avg high temp was in the teens. BTW the truck is an '05 KC, 2 wheel-drive, w/ Big Tow. It has about 35,000 miles. The towing history is pretty short: 500 miles of about 3500 lbs in 2006 & 120 miles of about 3000 lbs about 7 months ago.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by meltingpoint; 03-13-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 06:33 AM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Re: Strange Driveline Noise

I've got a noise much like you talk about. Mine sounds like it's in the front end and to check this, as I'm driving down the road, I just slightly and quickly turn the steering wheel and it goes away just for a second. Also in sharp corners it almost goes away too.

This leads me to believe that it's one of the front wheel hub assembly and I have one ordered.

I had the same problem on our 99 S-10 blazer and a new wheel hub assembly repaired the problem.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 06:48 AM

Check your u-joints, dif fluids and tranfer case fluid. A wheel hub or brake noise would change in frequency with speed, not with RPM.

2005 Titan LE King Cab 4x4 Offroad Big Tow FFV.

Radiant Silver with charcoal leather interior, black Nissan OEM brush guard, 33x12.50r17LT Hercules Trail Digger tires on OEM OR 7-spoke 17" rims, Rough Country 3" lift, 1" rear block, Bilsteins 5100s front and rear, Hawk LTS brake pads, MOOG lower ball joints, 2011 Pro4x rear end, Axle vent mod, 2 degree timing advance, NGK Iridium spark plugs, Stock Airbox mod with K&N filter, Magnaflow 14" SI/SO muffler on stock pipes with T304 stainless double-wall tip, Optima Yellow Top D34 battery, OEM Rockford Fosgate audio system, Protecta chrome tool box, 6000K HID headlights, TomTom GO 920 Navigation system.

2012 Nissan Rogue SV AWD - Wife's ride
#4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 08:34 AM

I'd check wheel bearings. Put the truck on jack stands and see if there's any slop in the wheels by shaking them, or put your hip into them and see if you can move them.
If it's a "hum" that increases with speed this could very well be the cause.

2005 Titan XE
K&N
18" '08 Armada Wheels
Magnaflow Exhaust
Airbox Mod
Tough Country Leveling Kit

Jump to top