Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 used oil analysis report - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 06:25 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 used oil analysis report

I have been a loyal Mobil 1 user ever since I changed the oil on my first POS car.

I have seen some great reports on Pennzoil Platinum for our trucks. I decided to try the new Pennzoil Ultra and here are the results of a 7000 mile run. This truck gets a pretty good workout around Houston.

I am running Pennzoil Ultra and a Mobil 1 M1-110 filter. I hate to say it, but I guess I am now a Pennzoil guy! This is also posted over at BITOG.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2005 CC SE 2*, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow exhaust. JBA Long Tubes, Cajun 2.25 B pipes, TAP Y pipe, Uprev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 07:25 AM

Re: Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 used oil analysis report

I think that is an outstanding report except for the Silicone though like they said is not hurting anything. It looks like the silicone has been trending up for a while now. It's high silicones that keep me from adding a CAI. I'm not sure if you have one by your sig or not?

I had to go out in the garage and see what oil I bought for my upcoming change because i had thought about the Ultra. It was Penzoil Platinum 5W30 and let me tell you I am regretting that looking at this report. I guess in 6 months or so I will be changing to Ultra and upping my OCI.

I'll have go over to Bitog and see what those guys say. I remember seeing your older report with the Pb spike on Bitog and I seem to recall you were running Mobil 1 at the time (nothing special AT ALL about Mobil 1 IMO). I can't remember but did they think it was a particle spike in a bearing?

Again outstanding report and I am changing to Ultra.

Essentially Stock 2006 SE 4WD with Bilstein HD's
#3 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12glocks View Post
I think that is an outstanding report except for the Silicone though like they said is not hurting anything. It looks like the silicone has been trending up for a while now. It's high silicones that keep me from adding a CAI. I'm not sure if you have one by your sig or not?

Again outstanding report and I am changing to Ultra.
I do have a K&N intake. The oiled filters like K&N seem to have a higher rate of silicon, but the dry ones like Injen and AFE are much better at filtering the dust.

I would switch to another intake, but it's all about the $$$ right now....

2005 CC SE 2*, K&N FIPK, Magnaflow exhaust. JBA Long Tubes, Cajun 2.25 B pipes, TAP Y pipe, Uprev
#4 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 10:39 AM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Very interesting report, dramatic really. Lead was certainly high, and dropped quite a bit, as did Moly to a lesser extent.

I've run M1 since my second oil change I think. I used M1EP (Rated for 15K) last change. I've got about 6K now, and includes 8 dyno pulls and 8 track runs. I hope to do a UOA this week, to check how it all is.

2006 XE CC Pref Pkg BT with AEM Brute Force CAI, PowerAid TB Spacer, TB Reversed Valve ByPass Mod, 2007+ Intake, JBA Headers, MagnaFlow 24" Muffler, 2008+ Rear Axle, Stillen: F & R Sway Bars, Black Diff Cover, Engine Dress Up Kit, 4 pc StreetScene SS Mesh Grille, PRG End Links, Street Traction Bars & Shackles, UpRev Osiris Tuner 93 Performance Tuned, 18" SE Rims, Functional Hood Scoop ...

IRC VK56 Member "Special Operations"

MD Chapter Director
#5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanBlue View Post
Very interesting report, dramatic really. Lead was certainly high, and dropped quite a bit, as did Moly to a lesser extent.

I've run M1 since my second oil change I think. I used M1EP (Rated for 15K) last change. I've got about 6K now, and includes 8 dyno pulls and 8 track runs. I hope to do a UOA this week, to check how it all is.
It would be interesting to compare your UOA to his.

Essentially Stock 2006 SE 4WD with Bilstein HD's
#6 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachditka View Post
I do have a K&N intake. The oiled filters like K&N seem to have a higher rate of silicon, but the dry ones like Injen and AFE are much better at filtering the dust.

I wonder what would happen to your analysis if you swapped that filter for a AMSOIL Ea Universal Air Induction Filters from Amsoil I had one of those on my Jeep and it was pretty nice. They come in all different sizes and it would allow you to swap the filter without changing to a whole new intake.

Brian
2008.5 Titan LE w/Nismo cat-back exhaust

FOR SALE: 2008.5 Nissan Titan LE 4 Door King Cab 4WD - $22995 (19702)
#7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:02 AM

That's a really nice report, Coach.

Black and white, cannot argue, same truck, same dude, Pennzoil is protecting the engine better than Mobil1. Cite: Al, Iron, Copper, Lead.

I am sure you can get that Silicon number lower with a different air filter, when you can swing the funds.

Improvements:
NCD Level Kit|K&N Drop In|Magnaflow muffler|Dominator II Step Tubes|Reese Hitch|Husky Liners
Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/17|Extang RT Tonneau|RadFlo Remote Res Rears
OEM Hood Deflector|Hayden 405 Transmission Cooler
Air Box mod|Improved Fog Light Mod|dba 4000 series rotors, Akebono ProACT pads
Axle Vent Mod

Fluids, Etc.:
Engine: Penzzoil Platinum 5W-30, K&N HP1010 Oil Filter, K&N 33-2286 Air Filter
Differentials: (F)Royal Purple 75W-140, (R)AMSOil 75W-140
Transmission: Castrol Multi-Vehicle Import

Wish List:
Air Horn, RadFlo 2.0 Coilovers, AEM Brute Force CAI, TruTrac, Bass boat...
Donations graciously accepted.

Last edited by grnTitan04; 07-14-2010 at 08:05 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 11:00 PM

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I have used Platinum and posted several UOA's. I bought a bunch of it when I got it for 1.50 a quart. I will continue using it till my stas is gone. Pennzoil is a geat oil in our titans.

2007 SE Granite C/C 4X4 BT,OR,RF,Bed Package
Born 12/18/06 in Mississippi/ adopted 03/31/07 in Anchorage. Man that stork had a good drive.

Improved with Westin black aluminum nerf bars, Husky floor liners, Vent visors, Full billett grill, Black XE door handles,American racing Teflon THUG'S, Top Dawg folding tonneau cover, AEM brute force CAI with prefilter,
PRG 4INCH PERF Package with Saw's, Two 12 volt tech underseat subs with CDT 4100 and cdt replacment door speakers,MD DVD player with 8.5 screen Shift Pass You
#9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank View Post
I wonder what would happen to your analysis if you swapped that filter for a AMSOIL Ea Universal Air Induction Filters from Amsoil I had one of those on my Jeep and it was pretty nice. They come in all different sizes and it would allow you to swap the filter without changing to a whole new intake.
I am ordering a replacement filter from Amsoil. It's dry and looks like it will filter the Texas dust much better than the oiled gauze one from K&N.

Thanks for the suggestion!

#10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachditka View Post

I'm in HOU with the K&N Drop In too. Fixing to move to Phoenix AZ tho and I've got a little shadow of a worry in the back of my mind. Should I switch? I'm not ready for the CAI, but would consider a drop in. Any one else make a drop in that flows like a K&N?

Maybe I ought o do a pre and post move UOA?

GTGallop
2006 Texas Titan Package CC: 2wd, FFV, K&N Drop In, Air Box Mod

"The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper."
#11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 AM

I put the AMSOIL Ea Air Filters (EAA104) in mine about 20K miles ago and it's running great.

Brian
2008.5 Titan LE w/Nismo cat-back exhaust

FOR SALE: 2008.5 Nissan Titan LE 4 Door King Cab 4WD - $22995 (19702)
#12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 08:22 PM

Did you ever do an analysis when you had the Mobil 1 oil to compare? Also, any change in MPG,s with the pennz vs M1?
#13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 09:16 PM

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I had an UAO, with M1 pennzoil Platinum, and Amsoil. I'm deployed right now but the consenses was PP did just as good as the other oils. I saw no MPG difference when switching

2007 SE Granite C/C 4X4 BT,OR,RF,Bed Package
Born 12/18/06 in Mississippi/ adopted 03/31/07 in Anchorage. Man that stork had a good drive.

Improved with Westin black aluminum nerf bars, Husky floor liners, Vent visors, Full billett grill, Black XE door handles,American racing Teflon THUG'S, Top Dawg folding tonneau cover, AEM brute force CAI with prefilter,
PRG 4INCH PERF Package with Saw's, Two 12 volt tech underseat subs with CDT 4100 and cdt replacment door speakers,MD DVD player with 8.5 screen Shift Pass You
#14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangguy289 View Post
Did you ever do an analysis when you had the Mobil 1 oil to compare? Also, any change in MPG,s with the pennz vs M1?
All prior runs on the report were Mobil 1 5w30 EP or TSUV 5w30.

MPG has not really changed. I have averaged about 16mpg since I got the truck.

#15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:27 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I am switching to Penzoil my next oil change but I bought Platinum mainly because it's cheaper. I think the Ultra is a little better but I doubt it would matter in the long run. Penzoil lowered prices at Walmart to $20 for 5 qt. Platinum and $25 for same of Ultra. They have a $5 off coupon on the jugs good for either Platinum or Ultra bringing prices down to $3 or $4 a qt. respectibly. I picked up 2 jugs and plan to get one more before the coupons expire on July 31st.
I am switching from Castrol GTX 5-30 mainly to run a little longer OCI as I was running about 3500-4000 mi before change. Now I not doing the short trips I used to do. I plan to run about 7500 with the Platinum which is still within the Nissan spec for my driving. I'm also switching to a pure one filter, I got a good price on amazon when buying in pairs and getting free shipping. I've got 63,000+ on my 04 and its great. No engine mods. Running stock air filter and that's after considering alteratives too.
I researched quite a bit before the switch and realize that lots of guys will run any decent oil and get 200 -300 k miles with no oil related failures, but I do like the idea of keeping the inside of the engine sludge free with minimal wear.

2004 Radiant Silver Crewcab LE 4x4
Current-Lowered back to stock, Slotted Cyro Rotors with Hawk LTS pads, PML powder-coated Diff Cover, Bilstein 5100 front and back, PRG shackles, front sway bar re-installed, Westin Black Bullbar with Stainless Skidplate , Silverstar Ultra headlight upgrade, Chrome Tailgate Handle kit, Flowmaster 50 series, OEM 17" Offroads, 285/70R17 BFG Rugged Terrains
Old- Mods-PRG installed Procomp 6" with the large DRs, no front sway-bar, with Deaver C-10 and PRG off-road traction bars in back, , 325/65x18 Kumho Road Venture ATs and 18x9 Eagle black & chrome 061s, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler

Planned Mods

Tru Trac, , Hellwig RSB, 20s with 305/50s, re-built PRG traction bars

Jump to top