Rear axle seal leak, but now no leak?? WTF? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Rear axle seal leak, but now no leak?? WTF?

Towed my camper to NH to visit the White Mountains. No issues. 3 days later I drive the Kancamangus to Glen NH to take the family to Storyland and I notice the dreaded drip marks on the inner wheel and evidence it ran down the back shield behind the rotor. Baby it back to the CG as it looked like not much fluid was lost. Rim was dry and back shield showed no more evidence of leakage. Did a day trip the next day, no leak. Towed camper home Saturday and no leak as of today? I am stumped. There has to be plenty of fluid in the diff. Last 4 seal leaks I had threw gear oil on the wheel wells. This didn't so I know there is fluid in there. Not sure what to do. Going to take it to my mechanic to do a fluid change and see if anything looks bad. I plan on doing a Trutrack, but don't want to trash out the ring and pinion if the diff fails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 AM

Re: Rear axle seal leak, but now no leak?? WTF?

I had the pinion seal leak pulling my camper on some hills in PA with about 40,000 miles on the truck. I made the rest of the trip with no more leaks. Got back had it changed under warranty, did the axle vent mod and no more seal problems with 80,000 on the truck. I change my rear diff fluid every year, which works out to be a 15,000-20,000 miles.

SOLD, after 122,000 great miles:
2006 SE, CC, Big Tow, white
Born 5/06
Timbrens added
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,884 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Maybe 3 psi difference in air pressure for a 6,000 foot elevation change. Might be a factor unless hose vent mod has been done as the factory vent only vents one way.

For Your Amusement: tightly cap an empty large plastic soda bottle at the top of the mountain and watch it collapse as you drive down the mountain
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Hmm good point Bestatchess. I'll find out more tomorrow when my mechanic replaces the seal. I just can't afford to play along and hope it doesn't fail again with the camping trips I have coming up.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 04:06 PM

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke05 View Post
Hmm good point Bestatchess. I'll find out more tomorrow when my mechanic replaces the seal. I just can't afford to play along and hope it doesn't fail again with the camping trips I have coming up.
What was the end result? How much was the seal replacements?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top