Transmission in "limp mode" How do I fix it - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 03:04 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Transmission in "limp mode" How do I fix it

ive been doing a little research and I have a 05 nissan titan stuck in fail safe mode with "AT Check" light on. Tranny is in "D" but is stuck in high gear and will not downshift or upshift and tiptronic stop working.

Problem started right after i jump started the car, it was perfectly fine before that and I did not jump backwards.

I checked for codes, there are none, tried disconnecting the battery to clear but will not.

Question is, how do I fix this problem and how do i get it out of "fail" or "safe mode"

Ive seen few threads with same problem and nobody has answered?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Banned

Re: Transmission in "limp mode" How do I fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisteix19 View Post
ive been doing a little research and I have a 05 nissan titan stuck in fail safe mode with "AT Check" light on. Tranny is in "D" but is stuck in high gear and will not downshift or upshift and tiptronic stop working.

Problem started right after i jump started the car, it was perfectly fine before that and I did not jump backwards.

I checked for codes, there are none, tried disconnecting the battery to clear but will not.

Question is, how do I fix this problem and how do i get it out of "fail" or "safe mode"

Ive seen few threads with same problem and nobody has answered?
well it aint cuz we dont want to help its just that i dont think theres many people that had that problem and if they did theyd take it to the dealership.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 9,199 Times in 5,693 Posts
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bills1974

Try an ECU Reset

2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Cowl Done With Bedliner
Radiator Bypassed - Transmission Fluid
Wife's Ride: 2014 Infiniti Q50 S
My Other Ride: 2007 Sea Doo Speedster 200

AKA: Crossdresser Whore™
The Bald Avenger®

"It's really bad when I have to go into the fridge to count how many beers I had last night because I lost track."
"Why is the rum always gone?"

#4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 PM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to import2nr Send a message via Yahoo to import2nr

+ 1 for the ECU reset. Also from what I have read, these newer vehicles should be using jumper cables like these http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20063320-48.html

Michelin 5100 Smart Jumper Cables with Surge Protection

Product Features

* Green Indicator Lights Confirm Correct Connection
* No Sparking Or Shorting When Clamps Are Attached, Polarity Is Adjusted Automatically
* Built-in surge protector prevents damage to vehicle's computer and electronics
* Cables constructed using heavy 8-gauge copper clad aluminum to ensure superior and reliable performance
* Insulated clamps for maximum cranking power

Last edited by import2nr; 06-07-2011 at 08:09 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to import2nr For This Useful Post:
ka titan (04-21-2014)
#5 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 05:23 PM

Has anyone figured out that problem. I am in same situation, I jumpstarted the Titan carefully. Now my check engine and at check light are on. It feels like I am stuck in gear 4. I scanned it and came up with bad solenoid codes and p0720 vehicle speed sensor code. All possible causes are short in wire, faulty parts. I cleared codes but p0720 keeps coming back and truck is still stuck in limp. I called 5 dealers and nine have heard of this. I'm assuming this is a hard code and the speed sensor( revolution sensor) is bad or not getting power. Unfortunately that sensor is in the tranny and my fear is that i spend $180 on part, spend hours working on it and problem won't be fixed. I googled this issue with the titans and there are a bunch of posts but nobody ever posted how they fixed the issue. This is driving me insane. Someone please help. Cc73build@gmail.com
#6 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 02:07 PM

I am having a very similar issue with my 04 Armada (same drivetrain as Titan). Difference being that I DO NOT have any engine codes (no SES light); the only light I have is my "AT Check" light and I'm pretty sure my tranny is stuck in fourth gear...will not upshift or downshift. It slips like crazy from a stand still but once I'm up to 40 mph almost functions like normal. For me, this all started after changing the starter this past Saturday (major PITA). My truck had started to occasionally not start when I turned the key and last week it seemed to get worse. On Friday I went to go start the truck and the engine wouldn't even turn over yet I had good power for everything else. I did try to hook up jumper cables from my wife's minivan thinking that maybe the extra amperage might give the starter solenoid an extra kick...NOT. So, that was when I changed the starter (the next day) and after changing it started and ran great except now I had the dreaded "AT Check" light and when I took it for a drive it was slipping badly which I eventually figured out was because of it being stuck in 4th. ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED. Please: anyone else that had this issue please, please post what was done to correct the issue. My local Nissan dealer is stumped after an hour of "diagnostics" and I figure the best thing is to get it right from the "horse's mouth" so to speak. I know this is not a very common problem but someone else has had to figure it out because I know I'm not the only one that's experienced this. Thanks guys

BTW: Before taking the truck to the dealer I tried swapping all relays in the IPDM panel (except ECM since it has a diode), tried "clearing" by disconnecting battery cables and holding together for 5 minutes, left the battery disconnected overnight, did the "clear ECM" procedure (where you press the gas pedal five times fast, etc. etc.), checked any fuse that I thought could be related to the transmission. None of what I did had any effect what so ever. My tranny ran like a top prior to this.

Last edited by mattwag; 04-21-2014 at 02:12 PM.
#7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Premium User

Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,638 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Have you checked ALL fuses?

Quote:
DTC P0720 VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR A/T (REVOLUTION SENSOR)
Description
The revolution sensor detects the revolution of the idler gear parking pawl lock gear and emits a pulse signal. The pulse signal is sent to the TCM which converts it into vehicle speed.

On Board Diagnosis Logic
œ This is an OBD-II self-diagnostic item.
œ Diagnostic trouble code gP0720 VEH SPD SEN/CIR ATh with CONSULT-II is detected under the following conditions.
. When TCM does not receive the proper voltage signal from the sensor.
. After ignition switch is turned ONh, irregular signal input from vehicle speed sensor MTR before the vehicle starts moving.
Possible Cause
œ Harness or connectors
(The sensor circuit is open or shorted.)
œ Revolution sensor
œ Vehicle speed sensor MTR

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore™
#8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 05:27 PM

Have the codes read first, then write them down.

In the meantime you can unhook the battery, set the brake or chock the wheels, then climb under the truck and check the main connector going to the trans for corrosion. Older Titans are known for corrosion on that plug.....I believe it's known as the f9 plug or maybe the f9 pin on that particular plug.

'03 350Z touring, '12 Murano, '07 Titan XE CC.
Say no to cheap beer!...And chrome!
The Following User Says Thank You to LUBECAKES For This Useful Post:
mattwag (04-24-2014)
#9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 06:35 AM

I appreciate the suggestions, however, what I was really looking for was someone that actually had this same exact issue and what corrective action was taken that worked for them. It's crazy because I have read a small number of people that have had the same problem but never is a solution posted to the problem.

As I said, my Armada is physically at the Nissan dealer as I'm writing this. Their 35 year master tech is stumped and they are now in the process of having Nissan technical support checking some things via remote connection to the vehicle. I guess it's pretty bad when the dealer is stumped.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 AM
Premium User

Garage

It kind of sounds like what happened to my '02 Dodge Grand Caravan. I used it to jump another vehicle but the cables were hooked up backwards on the vehicle to be jumped. It fried something in the transmission. Fortunately, it was a part I could replace without opening up the transmission.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore™
#11 (permalink) Old 04-22-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwag View Post
I appreciate the suggestions, however, what I was really looking for was someone that actually had this same exact issue and what corrective action was taken that worked for them.
Good luck, you can't always get a straight answer on stuff like this.

'03 350Z touring, '12 Murano, '07 Titan XE CC.
Say no to cheap beer!...And chrome!
#12 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 10:04 AM

I just wish someone that had this issue (luisteix19 or Cc73build) would post what the resolution was to the problem. If I don't get any response from either I will be sure to post what the remedy was for the issue. Right now, my truck is at a transmission shop being diagnosed. The dealer was no real help. I figured maybe a shop that does only transmissions all day everyday may be better at figuring out the problem.
#13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 10:07 AM

Not the fuses...checked every single one. All relays checked good too...I unplugged and put power to them/metered them.
#14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 AM

There are no codes except BCM codes and I don't even know when they are from. The piece of paper dealer gave me only has codes listed with no date/times. They were: C1704, C1705, C1706, C1707, C1724, C1725, and C1729. Problem is, dealer said they cleared everything and test drove and nothing came back. The vehicle "thinks" everything is fine yet the A/T check light is on and it is stuck in fourth gear. In other words, the ECM, TCM, IPDM is not registering any codes even though it's stuck in fourth. I'm almost thinking it may be related to the IPDM. I do have the "old style" one...the white one, not the newer style black one.
#15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 11:08 AM
Premium User

Garage

The transmission will go into fail-safe mode if a malfunction is detected in a sensor or solenoid and the transmission is fixed in 2nd, 4th or 5th (depending on the breakdown position). A P1705 trouble code is for the throttle position sensor.You may want to perform the reset for that. Instructions are here: How to:ECU Reset,Throttle & Accelerator Position Learning.

Jim aka Bionic Whore™

Jump to top