Head Gasket Blown? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 05:58 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Head Gasket Blown?

PLEASE HELP! We have a 06 Titan 4x4 with 62,000 miles on it. We absolutely love this truck and so far have had all of the recall work done on it and had a few things replaced under the 3/36 warranty and everything was great. The manifolds were replaced a few miles ago because both were cracked. Then boom, getting ready for vacation and towing TT and exhaust falls completely off due to rust. We replaced that, then 2 days later radiator explodes. The bottom blew a hole in plastic. Got replacement radiator and 3 days later boom, blowed again. Called Nissan dealer and they say haven't had problems with other trucks and radiators. So we think there is a pressure problem. Took to local private reputable mechanic. He did a combustion leak detector test on the radiator and says the head gasket is blown. There is no steam from tailpipe, no leaking antifreeze(other than radiator busted), no antifreeze/oil mix at all. I have searched online for 2 days and can't find any other Titans with head gasket blown this early. Mechanic wants $2000 to replace gaskets and I'm not sure what it is. Any input is greatly appreciated. Also truck has never overheated EVER.

Last edited by mom23; 07-09-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 7,867 Times in 4,086 Posts
Re: Head Gasket Blown?

Get a second opinion.

As far as the pressure, Titan radiator caps have been a problem.

NTB04-018.pdf

Have the cap tested and see if it opens and closes per specifications.

Good Luck!

2004 Titan Smoke LE CC
Born 11/18/03
100,000 + miles

You know, it's always something. . .

#3 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 08:37 AM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews

There have been numerous Radiator failures. Steam may not come out of exhaust, but you can still have leaking head gasket. There is a chemical paper test for exhaust in the coolant, usually done to indicate issue before a pressure test is done. Blown head gasket on VK56 is seemingly rare. I don't know of any.

Remember the Cap on the Radiator is a plain Cap without a Spring Loaded Valve, don't ever change style of that. A traditional Cap will cause the Radiator to blow out. Many of us have done that mistake. Actual Pressure Relief Cap is on the Plastic Bottle, as it is also part of the pressurized system. It is a large Black Plastic Cap. Available at the local store if needed.

2006 XE CC Pref Pkg BT with AEM Brute Force CAI, PowerAid TB Spacer, TB Reversed Valve ByPass Mod, 2007+ Intake, JBA Headers, MagnaFlow 24" Muffler, 2008+ Rear Axle, Stillen: F & R Sway Bars, Black Diff Cover, Engine Dress Up Kit, 4 pc StreetScene SS Mesh Grille, PRG End Links, Street Traction Bars & Shackles, UpRev Osiris Tuner 93 Performance Tuned, 18" SE Rims, Functional Hood Scoop ...

IRC VK56 Member "Special Operations"

MD Chapter Director
#4 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 AM

Thanked 2,873 Times in 1,922 Posts
iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vilim12

Ive never heard of a single head gasket issue on this truck, especially if you claim it never overheated. If you overheated it while pulling a TT, then its possible you blew the gasket. For now I would take Titanblues advice and make sure your running the right cap.

2008 Nissan Titan Pro-4x CC LWB Smoke
#5 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,882 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

I wouldn't spend $2,000 (nearly all labor) w/o doing compression & leak down tests first. Caps are cheap, I would replace reservoir and radiator caps. CSF makes an all aluminum radiator if you get tired of cracked plastic.

#6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Yeah sounds like a couple more crappy oem radiators bit he dust. I would buy an aluminum rad and call it a day unless more symptoms show up. Sounds like the mechanic wants 2 grand.

2005 Titan LE King Cab 4x4 Offroad Big Tow FFV.

Radiant Silver with charcoal leather interior, black Nissan OEM brush guard, 33x12.50r17LT Hercules Trail Digger tires on OEM OR 7-spoke 17" rims, Rough Country 3" lift, 1" rear block, Bilsteins 5100s front and rear, Hawk LTS brake pads, MOOG lower ball joints, 2011 Pro4x rear end, Axle vent mod, 2 degree timing advance, NGK Iridium spark plugs, Stock Airbox mod with K&N filter, Magnaflow 14" SI/SO muffler on stock pipes with T304 stainless double-wall tip, Optima Yellow Top D34 battery, OEM Rockford Fosgate audio system, Protecta chrome tool box, 6000K HID headlights, TomTom GO 920 Navigation system.

2012 Nissan Rogue SV AWD - Wife's ride
#7 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 12:08 PM

Well now you guys can here of one,my 2008 nissan titan,has the 5.6 motor,4x4,has 100,000 miles and head gaskets have blown on it now,very sad that this truck is already not drivable after 4 years,,,very sad,my 2000 f250 truck still running strong and has 460,000 miles on it!i know its the 7.3 but i got the titan for running back and forth to pick my son up in ky from tn,,,,3 hours there and 3 hours back,always serviced,,,,head gaskets are blown on the water side,making exhaust go into my water,,,,its already made me change my radiator from the pressure from the head gaskets being blown out,,,!!!!!!! Tired of it,gonna park it in the field and let it rot!
#8 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 7,867 Times in 4,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemojo View Post
Well now you guys can here of one,my 2008 nissan titan,has the 5.6 motor,4x4,has 100,000 miles and head gaskets have blown on it now,very sad that this truck is already not drivable after 4 years,,,very sad,my 2000 f250 truck still running strong and has 460,000 miles on it!i know its the 7.3 but i got the titan for running back and forth to pick my son up in ky from tn,,,,3 hours there and 3 hours back,always serviced,,,,head gaskets are blown on the water side,making exhaust go into my water,,,,its already made me change my radiator from the pressure from the head gaskets being blown out,,,!!!!!!! Tired of it,gonna park it in the field and let it rot!
Nice first post, welcome to the site! You are the first that I know of to report blown head gaskets. How did it go, what were you doing, we'd like the now the cause? Where in TN.? You making the run to Ft. Campbell?

2004 Titan Smoke LE CC
Born 11/18/03
100,000 + miles

You know, it's always something. . .

#9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 PM

well do not know why,have been hard on it,like spinning tires,but i have done the same in my f250,,,i used it for highway mostly,,,also whats in KY you was saying,is there a show or something,,,,I would got to Wingo KY from Murfreesboro TN to get my son there,3 hours there and 3 hours back,,,,well Nissan is no help,these guys tried to say they would charge me $296.00 bucks to change my thermostat in my Titan,what a rip off!!I changed it and it took 20mins total!Also payed them 120 bucks to tell me if the head gasket was blown or not,they said well we checked it out and it could be the thermostat or bad head gasket!I also told them right when I dropped it off that the radiator has been changed and new water and thermostat changed as well and to check for bad head gasket,,,So this is what they tell me,,C,mon these guys are lazy or just wanna rip people off,,,I did de'side to fix the truck and sale it though,,,never again will I take anything to a dealer,they rip me on my money and still told me nothing,,,,! update,,,head gasket is blown on pass side near firewall,,this causes the heater core to take in compression from the piston wall,,,blowing exhaust into the water,causing the heater core not to let water flow,,,,will update more later,2008 Titan,5.6 Flex fuel,4 wheel drive,,,,,,,,,,
#10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 PM

just curious

why would you get a titan as a truck to use just to get your son when your 7.3 gets better gas mileage?

#11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:13 PM

Thanked 1,282 Times in 840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilim12 View Post
just curious

why would you get a titan as a truck to use just to get your son when your 7.3 gets better gas mileage?
You drive a Titan every day... i think you know why.

2005 Titan XE KC 2WD w/ Dirt King Mid Travel Kit: Weighing in at 4200lbs
Truck Build:
#12 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Leon View Post
You drive a Titan every day... i think you know why.
Lol but if i was making 300 mile trips....wouldnt have picked a titan thats for sure lol

#13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Banned

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilim12 View Post
Lol but if i was making 300 mile trips....wouldnt have picked a titan thats for sure lol

I def agree, but at same time he might have the money to burn. I spend about $200 a week on gas for my job alone (contractor) and make a 8 hour roundtrip to see the girlfriend on the weeekends. I have other vehicles and more economical ways to get around but I just love driving the titan. Sometimes when I'm bored ill just go cruisin around burning gas and spacing out if you know what I mean lol.
#14 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:38 AM

Well because the titan has more stuff,like radio controls,its not loud as the 7.3 and well when I wanna get on it I can light the tires up,,Lol,,,either way have not done the gaskets yet,I am gonna make a video of doing the head gaskets to prove Nissan and to show others how to do it the fastest way,And what to not do and what to do when changing the head gaskets,,,Also the Titan gets better fuel on the interstate then my 7.3,,My 7.3 cost over $140.00 in diesel to go there and back,6hours total,,,,, Also I'm running $430.00 a piece tires on it as well,So why waist my tires on the interstate when the Titan can run the trips and save money,,,,Now the 7.3 will out pull,out climb,And well destroy the Titan in most stuff when it comes to a full size truck,But the Titan does out do the 7.3 on the other thing for comfort and easy drive time,plus is fun to drive!Love the truck and wish it never had the head gasket problem,But that's a Nissan for ya!Must PAY to PLAY!!!
#15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:49 AM

Ps,,Also Nissan did not wanna help me get the head bolts or the socket for the head bolt,so i went into the dealer ship and started talking to the customers and telling them my 2008 Titan had a blown head gasket and that they wouldn't help me,,,Lol the guy on the floor ran back there and made the repair guys find the stuff I needed and also the tool size I needed and even where to go get it,,,But before Nissan would not help me at all,,,Now if you ever have a problem do that,,They sure was worried ,lol,,,But hey all I wanted was to get my stuff fixed,,,

Jump to top