How much play is too much? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 05:59 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
How much play is too much?

First off, long time lurker first time poster. Ive gotten so much help from this forum its ridiculous. I figured I would finally join.

Ive got a humming issue that I believe is related to the drivers side cv axle. Specifically a bearing in the differential. From what I am seeing, there is a lot of play where the axle enters in to the differential. I have attached a short video of what the play looks like. I checked my friend's T this morning and his does the same thing, just not as bad. So I am wondering what (if any) play is acceptable.

The humming is a higher pitched hum that only happens when I accelerate. As soon as I take my foot off the accel pedal, it stops. I checked my rear pinion for play tonight and it was minimal.

There are no leaks coming from the front differential either.

Also I replaced both the dirvers side and passenger side wheel bearing assemblies this summer.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=MVI_0704.mp4

UPDATE

A friend of mine has the same issue where his cv shaft wiggles like mine. He took his in to the dealer this morning and they told him that it was normal and that until there is fluid leaking from the differential they arent going to do a thing about it.

He called BS and wants their master mech that knows titans well (i guess) to look at it when they repair his u joints next week.

Can anyone with titans that have new differentials or anyone with experience chime in if this play is in fact "normal"?

Last edited by tonis56; 09-16-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 AM

Re: How much play is too much?

Any Ideas?
#3 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM

I'll check mine at lunch because I have something similar as well. I was never really sure how to describe the noise I was hearing though. I don't notice any issues with it outside of the humming noise.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 09:52 AM

Great, sounds good. Yea I was wondering how to explain it as well. Its different from a wheel bearing. Its almost like a whirring with a kind of whistle.
#5 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 02:11 PM

I took a look at mine over the weekend and I have zero play. At the sametime the noise you're describing sounds just like what I'm hearing on my 04.
#6 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 AM

Thanks for checking. Im pretty sure its one of my carrier bearings. Im going to take it to my local transmission/ axle shop for a look sometime soon. Im pretty sure I will be ordering a new axle because of this....
#7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2011, 10:51 AM

A friend of mine has the same issue where his cv shaft wiggles like mine. He took his in to the dealer this morning and they told him that it was normal and that until there is fluid leaking from the differential they arent going to do a thing about it.

He called BS and wants their master mech that knows titans well (i guess) to look at it when they repair his u joints next week.

Can anyone with titans that have new differentials or anyone with experience chime in if this play is in fact "normal"?
#8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 01:56 AM

I know this thread is a little old, but my drivers side does the same thing. I am wondering if anyone has gotten any updates on if this is an issue or nori am not getting any noise from mine, was underneath checking another noise and found the wiggle.

-air raid throttle body spacer
-Bully Dog RFI
-stillen ground wire kit
-rancho quick lift
-18" monster xd wheels
-33" Toyo open country mt
-taillights
-bully dog gt
-OEM style fog lights w/ smoked lens
-halo, hid, ccfl black headlights w/ 12k bulbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top