Front axle CV seal leaking - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 06:19 AM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Front axle CV seal leaking

I noticed today that i am leaking right behind the cv axle where it goes into the differential.
is this a big deal?just keep topping the fluid off? im have to replace the cv axle anyway for a cracked boot..

im assuming pull the old cv axle and the seal will be right there? should i do both sides? the other side it the side with the cracked boot. 120,000 04 titan. might as well do suspension,cv axles, that seal from above, I did front wheel bearings a couple months ago. wish i would of had a cracked boot then or leaking fluid..

parts are pretty cheap i think seal is something like 30 bucks, cv axle are 75,
if thats right? does anyone have part numbers for this stuff

Thank you
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 06:21 AM

Re: Front axle CV seal leaking

im thinking this is it?
gonna ask some mechanic buddies today.. have them crawl under her!

Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com
#3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 06:56 AM

Thanked 3,367 Times in 2,486 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

it might be leaking because the boot is cracked. mine did that on my 06. bestatchess seems to know all the axle stuff and what not on these trucks, maybe pm him.

2011 White CC pro4x
Flowmaster Y
Gibson Muffler/ 3" tail pipe/ 5" black tip
Airaid MXP 4" Intake
PRG UCA's
Bilstein 5100's Middle Perch/2" spacer
PRG Camber Bolts
Homemade Traction Bars
Fuel Boost 18x9
Toyo Open Country ATII 325-60-18
BORA 1.25 Wheel Adapters/ Pinch Weld Mod
Weathertech Floor Mats

Traded In: 06 KingCab 4x4
6" ProComp, Bilsteins 5100's, 08 4x4 coils, PRG UCA's, Banks CatBack, Nismo Cai, Superchips Cortex, Custom Bumper, 35's on 18's
#4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I noticed today that i am leaking right behind the cv axle where it goes into the differential
Sounds like your axle might have popped out of the dif. The cv axle has a flange that bolts up to the dif itself, so if you are leaking on the inside of the flange (towards the center of the truck), that would be your dif leaking. I'm not aware that you can leak fluid from the u-joint on the cv axle. If it is just the half-shaft, it should be an easy fix. If it is your dif, you can try popping it back into the dif, but if the c-clip is broken or damage to the dif, you might be in for a new front dif. Post some pics and we can help more.

2005 Titan LE King Cab 4x4 Offroad Big Tow FFV.

Radiant Silver with charcoal leather interior, black Nissan OEM brush guard, 33x12.50r17LT Hercules Trail Digger tires on OEM OR 7-spoke 17" rims, Rough Country 3" lift, 1" rear block, Bilsteins 5100s front and rear, Hawk LTS brake pads, MOOG lower ball joints, 2011 Pro4x rear end, Axle vent mod, 2 degree timing advance, NGK Iridium spark plugs, Stock Airbox mod with K&N filter, Magnaflow 14" SI/SO muffler on stock pipes with T304 stainless double-wall tip, Optima Yellow Top D34 battery, OEM Rockford Fosgate audio system, Protecta chrome tool box, 6000K HID headlights, TomTom GO 920 Navigation system.

2012 Nissan Rogue SV AWD - Wife's ride
#5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 12:32 AM

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

if you are going to replace the boot then go to carquest and purchase it from there. their cv joints have a larger boot. mine kept cracking and tearing due to my lift and tires. i went throught 2 before i came across carquest's boot. i've had both on for a year now no troubles.

bushwhacker pocket style fender flares
Spray bed liner billet grille
aem brute force cai
Prg Uca's. c10 pack
pro comp 6'' lift 3'' body lift
Driveshaft spacer Prg shackles
saw coilovers (front) with 5/8 stacked on top
sway aways (rear) uprev/osiris
motometal 959
toyo open country m/t 37x13.50x20
customized go rhino side steps
4.10 gears front & back Amp research steps
Detroit trutrac diff
magtech diff cover metal works traction bars
jba exhaust borla muffler swap jba long tube headers

transgo shift kit (coming soon)
#6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2011, 02:54 AM

iTrader Score: 3 reviews
I am almost willing to bet if there is fluid leaking out that the axle pulled out a little bit. Is this an older Titan? I would just push it back in and see if it leaks anymore. I had this issue when I did my level kit and new shocks. It was just the crap clip they put in the inside of the axle that's supposed to keep it from popping out. It generally won't do this unless you have taken the front end apart and you didn't notice that it pulled out a little. By a little I mean like 1/8", that is enough to cause the leak.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

mine is a '07 with 108k miles and newly replaced pinion seal about 15k miles ago. just started leaking where the axle meets the diff. can't really see where from, but the fluid is spraying back towards my oil pan drain plug. i first thought that the oil plug wasn't tightened well enough after my oil change. any suggestions?

ASK ME ABOUT THE ANNUAL TEXAS NISSAN TRUCK MEET.
EMAIL: texastitanmeet@gmail.com

CURRENT: 2012 TITAN PRO 4X CREW CAB, PRO COMP STAGE 1 LIFT. AIRAID MXP COLD AIR INTAKE. PRT PERF CATLESS BPIPES. CAJUN YPIPE KIT. BORLA 40349 DUMPED. UPREV TUNED. 18X9 CUSTOM RIMS, MICHELIN LTX A/T 2 TIRES, STEP BARS, ROADMASTER ACTIVE SUSPENSION SPRINGS. FRONT BULL BAR WITH 13" LED LIGHT BAR. LSAL HID'S LOW/HIGH. RIDGID DUALLY D2 FOGS.

RETIRED: 07 TITAN CREW CAB LE 4X4 BT, MINI LIFT, 18X9 CUSTOM RIMS, MICHELIN LTX A/T 2 TIRES, DOUG THORLEY LT HEADERS, CAJUN BPIPES, MAGNAFLOW 12588 MUFFLER, DUALED EXHAUST, VIBRANT UQ RESONATORS, K & N COLD AIR INTAKE, UPREV TUNED, WESTIN DRIVING LIGHTS, BULL BAR WITH OFF-ROAD LIGHTS, STEP BARS, ROADMASTER ACTIVE SUSPENSION SPRINGS, STILLEN HIGH PERFORMANCE DUAL-CORE ALL ALLUMINUM RADIATOR, AND BILSTEIN 5125 SHOCKS.

STEREO: KICKER COMPONENTS IN ALL FACTORY LOCATIONS ON KICKER 4 CH AMP, 2 RE AUDIO 10SEXD2'S PORTED PUSHED BY KICKER MONOBLOCK AMP, ALL CONTROLLED BY A PIONEER 5900 HEADUNIT AND PHEONIX GOLD WIRING.

THE RIG: 2009 JAYCO, JAY FLIGHT, 25BHS WITH A PROPRIDE 3P-1000# HITCH, AND A TEKONSHA PRODIGY BRAKE CONTROLLER.

Jump to top