Nissan Titan Forum banner

2009 titan TT diff install

26K views 37 replies 17 participants last post by  *SocalTitan* 
#1 ·
Thanks to a forum member for giving me a great deal on this TT diff. I've picked up the extras needed for in the morning. Has anyone called Nissan and asked for carrier bearings? LOL they are idiots and only want to sell the entire differential.

I called Detroit and they said to fill with factory spec oil for the axles, but they also told me the TT diff likes regular plain 80w-90 gear oil. The lps had the Royal Purple on sale. Two new bearing, red loctite, and RTV.

I'll post pictures of the progress step by step, it's very easy.

See less See more
#2 ·
jbowles is the man.

Reactions: jbowles
#3 ·
Don't let your significant other see that pic even if those parts ARE brand new!
Trust me.

#4 ·
Subscribed....

#5 ·
This was the simplest diffs ever. Literally 50 mins to install, it took the machine shop longer to press the bearing on than the diff.

First, you need these bearings to install on the TT diff, it comes bare.

Jack the *** end up and place jackstands under the axle. Put chocks on the front wheels and don't set the parking brake.

Zip the wheels off.
Remove 2 bolts and remove brake caliper ( it can hang there).
Pull the rotor off.
Remove 4 nuts off the back of the axle plate.

Attach a slide hammer to the wheel studs and pull the axles.

Drain the rear diff using the 3/4 square rachet head plugs.
Zip the bolts out of the diff cover.
Tah Dahhhhh..the ****ty open diff.

Remove the diff, loosen the adjuster and remove the 4 carrier cap bolts. The diff will almost fall out on you, catch the bearing races and save those.
Take the TT and your bearing to a press and install them taper out.

Zip the 12 bolts out from the TT diff and apply RED loctite and re-install them.
Remove old ring gear from ****ty diff.
Install ring gear on TT diff and use RED loctite on the bolts.

Put the bearing races back on the bearings and slam her back into the housing.

Put the carrier caps back on snug.
Make your adjustment via the carrier adjusters.
Torque the caps down.
Apply glue to the diff cover (after cleaning it).
Replace cover bolts.

Push axles back into housings while turning them slightly.
Put rotors back on.
Put calipers back on.
Put wheels back on.
Torque wheel nuts.
Fill diff with 2.5 quarts of 75w-140 syn. fluid.
Put plug in.
Take off jack stands.

Go tear your tires up. I didn't, tires are 300.00 per.

#7 · (Edited)
What year model is your truck? Edit --- I see in your profile you have an 09! Thank you very much!

This is the post I have been waiting on forever to corroberate the wild claims I made in the threads that are linked in my signature!!

#8 ·

#9 ·
I seriously think i could do one quicker next time.

#10 ·
Where did you get your bearings from, and how much did that set you back?

#11 ·
Advance auto parts....13.89 each.

#12 ·
You made it look so easy. I'm glad someone in a newer Titan did this to back up the other guy who posted.

#13 ·
Can a mod change the title to

"2009 titan TT diff install"

#14 ·
no checking backlash? torque specs?

either way - good work..

Reactions: TA CC TX
#24 ·
Yes...but i didn't think i was typing a detailed article...just proving the nay sayers it can be done easily.
As I was reading this thread I had the same thought as AcidJake75 on the backlash and preload settings. I've read that this information is necessary but I have no clue as to how to go about it or what tools to use to achieve the desired results. I would be quite interested in reading a detailed description of how this process is performed.

The limit of my experience with rear ends has been to remove the diff cover, check my True-trac for loose bolts and change the lubricant.

Thanks for the writeup as on the True-Trac installation as it is quite educational.

#15 ·
Yes...but i didn't think i was typing a detailed article...just proving the nay sayers it can be done easily.

#17 ·
Might want to add that disclaimer to the first post just in case. Definitely easy, but for a complete newb, not including those details could be disastrous haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Reactions: AcidJake75
#18 ·
Damn bro your undercariege is so rusted lol. Hey how do i know if i have a elocker on my 2008 and if i do can i take it off to put on a TT

Sent from my LG-MS840 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#20 ·
E-locker is a 4wd feature. And you would never want to replace it with TT. TrueTrac is a limited slip diff. E-locker creates a positraction style setup ensuring that both wheels spin at the exact same rate. If you're doing any sort of offroad as your signature semi suggests, then E-locker is much better. Of course, unless those big tires are just for show.

#21 ·
I'm 2wd so that means i don't have it

Sent from my LG-MS840 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#25 ·
^^^has to be done - or it may fail early...Those who have had to replace their entire rear end know what that costs. For those that just want to "eyeball" it... Be my guest, its your $$..

You need a dial indicator and some gear marker

The gear marker will show the contact pattern on the ring gear.

#26 ·
Here is an ok vid of showing you how to do it..You can get a dial indicator from harbor frieght for cheap ($15 bucks)

This will ensure proper function of your differential. I cant tell you how many I have done on a 350z including my own (Carbonetic 2way diff).. I cant wait until I do my install on the T. This thread is still good reference of whats all involved..

#27 · (Edited)
Had my ring and pinion gears changed out about a month ago and figured I should check it out,so I drained my gear oil and pulled diff cover. Man I am I lucky or what? I am thinking or What. well this will be FOUR times I have had to tear this rear end apart, all trutrac bolts backing out again. I am mad. Mad at the tech that did my gears for not checking to see if they were lose and Mad at my self for not telling him to check and also mad at myself for not going to a tranny/gear shop to have the work done. OK I did the red loctite on the last go round that was at around 100,000 miles I rebuilt the trutrac myself and gave it to the shop to install It lasted over 30 thousand miles but I guess the new ring and pinion gears was to much for the loctite to hold ( the vibration from install and break in) But Don't Get Mad GET EVEN! so Thanks to this thread I am going to do it myself great job spoolie for the write up and thanks to Acidjake75 for the final bit of info on the Backlash and wear patterns. That video in AJ's last post is great it will also lead to others that are quite useful. anyway with TT to back me up this should be a easy job and when it's done I will know it is DONE RIGHT! Thanks again to spoolie for getting this repair out ( so the carpenters on the forum can do this job) and to Acidjake75 for the fine point's. :) this should be a sticky I could not find it in the how-to section and it really should be there. ( did I miss it ) Oh yea I am going to do the loctit again but this time I will let it cure more before I put the gear oil back in at least 24 hours.

Attachments

#28 ·
Ouch! Sucks to hear amigo. Glad you caught it before the fecal matter really hit the oscillating device... Good luck with the rebuild

#29 · (Edited)
^^^ thanks I have done enough other work on this truck and others so I figure it's time I did it myself and Learn something Too! just need a dial gauge and a slide hammer!

#30 ·
It's very very easy...the backlash is a quick check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.