Where is the leak coming from? - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

iTrader Score: 5 reviews
Re: Where is the leak coming from?

Valve cover gasket.....$80 plus parts.

2009 Titan diff installed

2009 XE Silver....2.5" SS full exhaust.....Dual Flowmasters with dual 18" resonators....Airaid....Detroit TT....bakflip G2....20" American Eagle wheels....2" level kit....HD trans cooler.. JBA full length headers, Cajun 2.5 catless mid pipes, tuned on Uprev.

Retro'ed Acura TSX lens in factory housings along with full Memphis audio M class system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 05:33 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Valve cover gasket or Head Gasket?? You mention both in the post.

$3000 for a valve cover gasket!! You sure he didn't say head gasket for that price? If that is the correct price take a vacation to Florida, stop by the house with cold beer and some steaks and I will change the beotch out. Steaks and beer so at least you can eat good while the engine cools down.

I haven't looked real close but I bet there is a section of the valve cover that rounded out for Cams, it is usually filled with rubber valve gasket. Common on OHV engines. Can not be too hard to change out.

2005 Titan KC SE
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Deep Water
2005 Titan CC
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Silver

2004 Keystone 24RS

---------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Shane06fl; 12-06-2012 at 05:35 PM.
#18 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane06fl View Post
Valve cover gasket or Head Gasket?? You mention both in the post.

$3000 for a valve cover gasket!! You sure he didn't say head gasket for that price? If that is the correct price take a vacation to Florida, stop by the house with cold beer and some steaks and I will change the beotch out. Steaks and beer so at least you can eat good while the engine cools down.

I haven't looked real close but I bet there is a section of the valve cover that rounded out for Cams, it is usually filled with rubber valve gasket. Common on OHV engines. Can not be too hard to change out.
I meant Valve cover gasket. My mind was thinking of two different things.
#19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:07 PM
Premium User

Thanked 2,121 Times in 1,486 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Valve cover gaskets shouldn't cost that much. Are you sure the decimal point wasn't shifted to the right by one place? I had them replaced on my '91 Ranger (V6) and it wasn't more than $450 at the dealer. Mine were so bad that it was a fire hazard.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore
#20 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Premium User

It take about an hour.

2009 XE Silver....2.5" SS full exhaust.....Dual Flowmasters with dual 18" resonators....Airaid....Detroit TT....bakflip G2....20" American Eagle wheels....2" level kit....HD trans cooler.. JBA full length headers, Cajun 2.5 catless mid pipes, tuned on Uprev.

Retro'ed Acura TSX lens in factory housings along with full Memphis audio M class system.
#21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 AM

Ok I was wrong. Talked to him again this morning. He said it was the cylinder head gasket. He said my truck is burning most of the oil. And the visual leak I see is very little.
#22 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 AM
Premium User

He is making sure his kids have a very nice xmas. I don't think the Nissan dealership would charge 3000 for a head gasket job. I would change mechanics. You could have a low mileage engine installed for cheaper than that.

#23 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 08:51 AM

That's what I thought. I'm still not convinced its leaking oil from the head gasket.
#24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Premium User

Cam seal/cam cover gasket. I don't trust anyone in Smyrna. A good shop close to you is Accurate in LaVergne.

#25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolie View Post
Cam seal/cam cover gasket. I don't trust anyone in Smyrna. A good shop close to you is Accurate in LaVergne.
I took it to Bennets in smyrna. They have always treated me right. I dunno. If its the valve cover that's leaking I'll do it myself.
#26 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Well My mechanic didn't tell me much really. I'm going to get a second opinion. While snooping around I think I found 2 more leaks. One is the power steering hose and the other you can see in this picture. Its the hose right in the middle underneath the main pulley. Toward the end it has oil/coolant on it it near the clamp that you cant see. Its kinda hard to tell but its deff darker in the picture. So which hose is this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
#27 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

I would look for another mechanic! If oil was coming from your head gaskets I will guarantee you would be having all kinds of issues with the engine. You would have severe compression issues and you would be seeing oil in your coolant or coolant in your oil. I can believe the valve covers though. I would also check the timing chain cover, the plug mentioned. The reason the heads are so expensive is all the interference that needs to be removed to get them off. You may be able to get an engine for $1200, but the install would drive it to around $6000 I bet.

2004 Titan CC 4X2 LE Canteen
Big Tow Package

"SUB out going sinker"
#28 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 07:26 PM

Maybe you guys could help me with this one. How hard of a fix is this leak. Thank you all in advance.

2004 Titan Galaxy Black
1.5 PRG leveling kit, Bilstein 5100, Pro Comp 1079, 295 70 17 Nitto Terra Grappler, PWM, Plasti Dip Emblems
3 HF offroad lights in air dam. Painted interior pieces. Painted engine cover. Axel Vent Mod
Magnaflow Muffler, DIY Badgeless Grille, Bed Lined factory step bar's and LED's thanks to porkchop, 2* timing thanks to Titanblue, Grounding Kit
One of a kind Bed Lined Leer Cap, Tinted Tail Lights, Tinted Headlights
#29 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERTitan View Post
Maybe you guys could help me with this one. How hard of a fix is this leak. Thank you all in advance.
Why did you start your own thread?
#30 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOVols View Post
Why did you start your own thread?
I thought that would be dumb there are so many threads about the same thing. I looked at threads about leaks and thought what is the big deal
it is a leak and we all drive Titans and we all help each other out.

2004 Titan Galaxy Black
1.5 PRG leveling kit, Bilstein 5100, Pro Comp 1079, 295 70 17 Nitto Terra Grappler, PWM, Plasti Dip Emblems
3 HF offroad lights in air dam. Painted interior pieces. Painted engine cover. Axel Vent Mod
Magnaflow Muffler, DIY Badgeless Grille, Bed Lined factory step bar's and LED's thanks to porkchop, 2* timing thanks to Titanblue, Grounding Kit
One of a kind Bed Lined Leer Cap, Tinted Tail Lights, Tinted Headlights

Jump to top