Where is the leak coming from? - Page 3 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#31 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:41 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Where is the leak coming from?

GOVols is your truck burning a lot of oil??? Maybe I missed it but how miles you got on her??

I have two issues with this being a HG. 1) HG that fails and is blowing oil past it would most likely get in to the coolant as well, are you seeing milk in your oil or coolant?? 2)Blown HG that leaks oil like this can usually be heard, sounds like an exhaust leak.

If this is a head gasket problem you need to clean the oil off the block and look at it daily to how fast it is leaking. If it is leaking at the HG then you can try and save yourself some money for time being by pulling the valve cover and re-torquing the head bolts. In the off chance a bolts worked loose this would help but the problem is that there is all ready some burn thru of the HG. At least you would get a valve cover gasket out the deal that hopefully would fix the problem anyways.

2005 Titan KC SE ***Sold 9/6/14***
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Deep Water
2005 Titan CC
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Silver

New Ride
2013 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 CC short bed
5.3L LC9 engine
Heavy duty tow package/cooling
4wd
loaded to the gills
mirrors sucks (for now)

2004 Keystone 24RS

---------------------------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERTitan View Post
Maybe you guys could help me with this one. How hard of a fix is this leak
Front pinion seal leak. Nissan dealer seal, requires a bit of muscle to get the nut off the shaft, pry out the seal and install in reverse order. Do a search there are a few threads in the HOW TO section.

Big Tow
4x4 SE
Deep Water
2005 Titan CC
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Silver

New Ride
5.3L LC9 engine
4wd
loaded to the gills
mirrors sucks (for now)

2004 Keystone 24RS

The Following User Says Thank You to Shane06fl For This Useful Post:
MERTitan (12-10-2012)
#33 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane06fl View Post
GOVols is your truck burning a lot of oil??? Maybe I missed it but how miles you got on her??

I have two issues with this being a HG. 1) HG that fails and is blowing oil past it would most likely get in to the coolant as well, are you seeing milk in your oil or coolant?? 2)Blown HG that leaks oil like this can usually be heard, sounds like an exhaust leak.

If this is a head gasket problem you need to clean the oil off the block and look at it daily to how fast it is leaking. If it is leaking at the HG then you can try and save yourself some money for time being by pulling the valve cover and re-torquing the head bolts. In the off chance a bolts worked loose this would help but the problem is that there is all ready some burn thru of the HG. At least you would get a valve cover gasket out the deal that hopefully would fix the problem anyways.
Yes it does seem to be burning oil. They said they also found some oil on my spark plugs. If thats the case then one or two of the spark plug seals are leaking and that can be fixed I assume. I have 104,000 miles on it. As far as I can tell the oil and coolant are not mixing. I have not seen any loss in coolant and it sure isnt over heating on me.

Last edited by GOVols; 12-08-2012 at 09:52 AM.
#34 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I thought that would be dumb there are so many threads about the same thing. I looked at threads about leaks and thought what is the big deal
it is a leak and we all drive Titans and we all help each other out.

Its all good man. Hopefully someone can help you out.
#35 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 10:14 AM

GOVols I have the same exact location of oil on my truck and on both sides. I see a little seepage from the outside lower corner of the VC's and on the passenger side Timing Chain cover has a few areas that are seeping. My block is not as wet as yours. Take a closer look at your VC. It just does not look like a head gasket failure.

Big Tow
4x4 SE
Deep Water
2005 Titan CC
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Silver

New Ride
5.3L LC9 engine
4wd
loaded to the gills
mirrors sucks (for now)

2004 Keystone 24RS

#36 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,632 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
I thought that would be dumb there are so many threads about the same thing. I looked at threads about leaks and thought what is the big deal
it is a leak and we all drive Titans and we all help each other out.
Yes, but there are some informal rules that you don't hi-jack someone's thread. You can hi-jack your own thread. GOVols doesn't quite have his issue resolved so your post muddies the thread a bit.

The best thing to do is apologize and then create your own thread. Fortunately, GOVols is a generous guy.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore
#37 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 08:34 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

Thanks guys for the help and sorry for hijacking your thread. If you want I will delete my post.

2004 Titan Galaxy Black
1.5 PRG leveling kit, Bilstein 5100, Pro Comp 1079, 295 70 17 Nitto Terra Grappler, PWM, Plasti Dip Emblems
3 HF offroad lights in air dam. Painted interior pieces. Painted engine cover. Axel Vent Mod
Magnaflow Muffler, DIY Badgeless Grille, Bed Lined factory step bar's and LED's thanks to porkchop, 2* timing thanks to Titanblue, Grounding Kit
One of a kind Bed Lined Leer Cap, Tinted Tail Lights, Tinted Headlights
#38 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 PM

So any updates on this vols??? If you want, whenever i get some free time i'll swing by and take a look/help ya replace whatever the problem is. My guess is its most likely VC gasket leaking

07 Majestic blue CC
Black halo's w/8000k hids and matching halo fogs. Interior, Underbody, Wheel well, Engine and bed glow kit(all blue). Smoked tails. Bedlined caps, crowl, whipper blades and mudflaps. 4" MPX CAI. Upreved tuned. JBA LT headers, Cajun catless b-pipes, Borla Muffler. Blue and Black interior, Kenwood DDX 419 HU. Kenwood 10" Subs, speakers and tweeters all around. 360 installed for a little R&R. Big Brake kit. hawk pads, drilled and slotted black rotors. Sittin on bedlined 265/70/18 Nitto terra grapplers.

Picking up where the factory left off.....
#39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanLegion View Post
So any updates on this vols??? If you want, whenever i get some free time i'll swing by and take a look/help ya replace whatever the problem is. My guess is its most likely VC gasket leaking
Hey thanks for the offer. No verdict yet. Been busy here the past few days. I'll deff let you know when I figure something out.

Jump to top