Nissan Titan Forum banner

How to replace the starter Nissan Titan

244K views 97 replies 43 participants last post by  Gadgetman59 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Walrus and I decided it was time to replace my starter. Note that Walrus did most of the hard work, but I got to take pictures and notes :)

My starter will "click" and then start, it's been going on for about a month and getting worse so today was the day to do the replacement.

We purchased the starter from Nissan. Note they only have rebuilt but all the parts are new and factory reassembled. We did not want to chance it with the China knockoff. The cost is ~ $325 and you will want to purchase the intake gaskets at the same time.

Total time 2.5 Hours, with an experienced mechanic.

Anyway
This thread details all the steps with pictures.

1. Remove the splash panel ... 4 bolts

2. Remove the engine cover

3. Drain coolant : (Note: You do not need to drain all the coolant, just enough that it will be below the coolant bypass hose on the throttle body)

4. Pull the fuel pump fuse (15amp 7th space over)

5. Try and start the truck a couple of times to remove pressure from the fuel rail.

6. Pull the battery cable (remove power)

7. Remove the fuel rail connector and pull the fuel line. Here is the tool used

This is the fuel rail connector

8. Remove the transmission fill tube bolt

9. Remove the intake air tube. It's the big black tube in the background. Note that you only need to take it off the intake, but you do not need to completely remove it.

10. Remove the service port for the fuel pressure regulator

11. Remove the brake booster vacuum line

12. Remove 2 PCV’s hoses

13. Remove the fuel injector connections (8 ) Push the tab at the top of the connector

14. Remove the throttle position sensor plug

15. Remove the coolant bypass hose

16. Remove 1 more hose on the throttle body

17. Remove the Evap canister control valve connector

18. Remove wire zip tie connectors, be careful to pull out the tie holders so they don't break off the holding pins.

19. Remove 10 intake bolts (Use 10mm) See the tool we used to reach the ones in the back.

20. Remove the intake

21. Vacuum out the edges where dirt and sand accumulate

22. Towel over the top the of the intake

23. Remove the tie that holds the start wire

24. Remove the connector for the starter

25. Climb in and remove the 2 bolts that hold the starter (Note: Very hard to remove). NOTE: Be careful, I have an all-aluminum rad so it’s a bit stronger than the OEM plastic ones that could break if you put too much weight on them.

26. Remove the black cover over the starter wire (save the cover). It has the white dot on it in the picture

27. Remove the starter wire using a 12mm socket

28. Remove and replace the intake gaskets

29. Vacuum under the starter where the twigs and berries gather. You will see it...

30. Clean the top of the engine before reinstalling the intake.

31. Install the new starter and work your way back through the process.

Notes: Remember to re-install the fuel pump fuse and if you have an anti-theft device, be sure to reset it. (Ask me how I know this ;) )

Helpful tip... Use a towel to cover the front of the truck so that it will hold tools better and make it a little more comfortable to work on the engine.

Thanks to jhays here is the tightening pattern for the intake...
The torque for the starter bolts is 34 ft-lbs and the electrical terminal nut is 96 in-lbs.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
More Pictures for the first post 1

Attachments

Reactions: Pops
#3 · (Edited)
More Pictures for the first post 2

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
More Pictures for the first post 3

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
More Pictures for the first post 4

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
More Pictures for the first post 5

Attachments

#9 ·
Wow. Nice write up, guys. Doesn't seem to be a job for the faint of heart. That's quite a process, but well done on getting yours all buttoned up!

Reactions: Pops and RobKar
#10 ·
Wow that's a lot of work to replace a starter. You owe the Walrus a case of evil juice.

#11 ·
Thank you for this useful and informative post - ADMINS - Please make this a sticky - so it does not get lost!

#12 ·
I'll second that.

#14 ·
Wow, fantastic. The Pope is a genius...that's way more work than I ever would have expected!

#15 ·
The man deserves a new hat for that effort

#17 ·
It really isn't that difficult.
Only King Polaris makes it look difficult. :king:

#16 ·
We did that job in Nissan book time with a little to spare.
Realize though, that we are not just a couple of hacks with a toolbox.
I have a license that goes with that box and I happen to like these trucks.

Attachments

#18 ·
Excellent write up guys! This is what makes this forum one of the best out there. I really appreciate the pics and step by step directions. I have alway wondered what it would take to change out the starter and now I know. How many miles did you get out of that original starter? I'm pushing 130k and been wondering about mine.

#20 ·
Towel over the grill catches sockets, extensions, and other goodies that may otherwise fall and get lost.
What you can't see in the pic, is the 6 foot by 8 inch by 8 inch step that we used to make things easier.

Attachments

Reactions: RobKar
#21 ·
Nice write-up and team work guys. I saw the post while it was "under construction" and I was hitting the refresh button every 15 minutes. :D

#25 ·
Great write up! another MONEY Saving how to Thanks I am at 150 thou plus so a starter install is more than likely in my future!

#30 ·
If you need some advice or help, send me a PM. We are both in the same area ... :)

#32 ·
FYI for those who are about to do this install. The OP has a few steps in his write-up that are unnecessary, so look below to save yourself some time/hassle.

1) The intake manifold does not need to be completely removed. It can just be moved out of the way while a few of the vac lines and fuel lines are still connected.

2) There is no need to drain coolant or remove coolant lines. Simply unbolt your throttle body from the intake manifold and leave propped in your engine bay. It isn't in the way.

3) There also is no need to disconnect your fuel line or remove the fuse/drain injectors. Simply disconnect the fuel line from it's guides and be careful as you move the intake manifold out of the way.

The starter is completely reachable with the intake manifold just slid out of the way a bit, so save yourself some time and take note from my experience above.

#48 ·
Thanks! My starter sh*t the bed yesterday. Had to be towed home. I'm not paying 500 from the dealer and I'm not paying 220 from AZ.

Amazon has the same Mitsubishi made OEM starter for about $100 with free shipping delivered in 2 days. That gives me enough time to prep and have it ready to go. I made the mistake of having my shop replace the starter at 200k with an OEM and it has only lasted 70k. The truck is pushing 300k and I'm not going to spend crazy part money on her.

Part here

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041TN26U?keywords=nissan%20titan%20starter&qid=1444775046&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1[/ame]

Reactions: jhays
#33 ·
Thanks for this write up. Pictures were perfect! I followed step by step since I'm replacing the manifold with the newer one and doing the starter since I'm in there. That starter is in a ridiculous spot. I started laughing when i finally saw it. Awesome write up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.