Does oil expire? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 07:16 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Does oil expire?

how long can you hold onto an unopened bottle of motor oil? also, if i have a half bottle (mine is almost exactly 6.5 quarts so it leaves me exactly 13 quarts for 2 oil changes) how long will it be expected to be good.

does it only degrad after being heated or simply being exposed to air?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=5]This Boy Just Ain't Right[/SIZE][/FONT]

All Mods removed, none worked for me, drives much better stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-24-2004, 07:22 PM

It will absorb moisture once it is opened. I have had no problems adding up to a half quart after a month in my older car. (IMO) I wouldn't go any longer than that.

2004 Titan CC 4X2 LE Canteen
Big Tow Package

"SUB out going sinker"
#3 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 06:12 AM

what is the "self life" of an unopened quart?

#4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 10:10 AM

Oil Life

Oil gets dirty and and the additives brake down and you need to change the oil.

An unopened contailer should store the oil until the container fails.

Any moisture which might get into an opened partially filled container which is capped will vaporize to steam and escape to the atmosphere the first time the truck reaches operating temperature. Water condensation commonly occurs in the normal startup shut down cycles while driving.

Titan KingCab, 4x4, Off Road, Bed Package, Big Tow, Mud Guards, Floor Mats, Bed Divider, Bed Ext, POP package with Bucket Seats
#5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 10:12 AM

Don't know the answer to that but, I saw some oil at Sam's the other day with a mail in offer that expired two years ago! I think shelf life is a military thing if we haven't used it by the expiration date we can see if there is an update extending the shelf life if not we dispose of it. I will say that Aircraft oil (military) is only packaged in metal cans that is to prevent moisture. I contacted the item manager about this practice because the cans get really beat up in shipping, he stated plastic bottles still allow more moisture and thats the reason for metal cans. Might be that plastic bottles can't take the damage and will crack and seep?

2004 Titan LE CC 4X4 Offroad
PRG Performance Package Lift
PRG Rear Shackles- PRG Sway Bar End links
Bilstein Rears
Detroit Truetrac
315 BFG's All Terrain's
#6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgfitzp
Oil gets dirty and and the additives brake down and you need to change the oil.

An unopened contailer should store the oil until the container fails.

Any moisture which might get into an opened partially filled container which is capped will vaporize to steam and escape to the atmosphere the first time the truck reaches operating temperature. Water condensation commonly occurs in the normal startup shut down cycles while driving.
Same here, you come in at night a shut her down then the temp falls outside and some moisture has to collect in the inside the engine compartment. Heat takes care of the moisture in the crankcase.

2004 Titan LE CC 4X4 Offroad
PRG Performance Package Lift
PRG Rear Shackles- PRG Sway Bar End links
Bilstein Rears
Detroit Truetrac
315 BFG's All Terrain's
#7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 11:02 AM

the only reason i ask is my amsoil prefered customer expires at the end of december and was going to order a few cases of oil before hand and wondered how long they might last in the case. might not get to the last 6.5 quarts for a year or later.

#8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Supporting Vendor (Bronze)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsly
the only reason i ask is my amsoil prefered customer expires at the end of december and was going to order a few cases of oil before hand and wondered how long they might last in the case. might not get to the last 6.5 quarts for a year or later.
I realize your decision point has passed, but for others who may have the same question the shelf life of AMSOIL is indefinite. With that said, I would not recommend putting 10 year-old oil in a new engine as the formulations have been updated. However, you will definitely not have a problem using AMSOIL that has been on the shelf for a year.

Next time you need oil, let me know. I can get if for you at the same Dealer/Preferred Customer price, without having you sign up as a member...
#9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinghorse
I realize your decision point has passed, but for others who may have the same question the shelf life of AMSOIL is indefinite. With that said, I would not recommend putting 10 year-old oil in a new engine as the formulations have been updated. However, you will definitely not have a problem using AMSOIL that has been on the shelf for a year.

Next time you need oil, let me know. I can get if for you at the same Dealer/Preferred Customer price, without having you sign up as a member...
I can vouche for Talkinghorse. He is a very well respected dealer on maxima.org.
#10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Supporting Vendor (Bronze)

Quote:
Originally Posted by virus
I can vouche for Talkinghorse. He is a very well respected dealer on maxima.org.
Thanks, "V"... As you know, I am a true believer in the products and offer the best deal anywhere. I've been using synthetics since the mid 70's and came back to AMSOIL in the early 80's...the company and the products are phenomenal. I give our folks personalized attention and honest advice without any pressure or sales BS.

I am currently posting ads offering special deals to our members in the Parts and Accessories and Buy/Sell sections of this site. I sell a lot of this oil (last month over $4,000) and many of my customers have some very expensive hardware....cars, trucks, motorcycles, RVs, commercial equipment, etc. The prices I offer are my true cost, so unless another dealer is taking a loss on the products they can't beat the price. I have an essentially 100% retention rate in customers and downline dealers...many folks have been coming back to me for years...this attests to both the quality of the products and the service I provide.

Since I am relatively new and unknown to members of Titantalk, I recommend our members check out maxima.org to verify my track record. My name has also appeared on several BMW sites with strong recommendations from their members.

Thanks again for the positive words...

Last edited by Talkinghorse; 04-16-2005 at 07:40 AM.
#11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

When you open a quart of oil it gets exposed to a minute amout of water vapor. So what? Your engine gulps in air (which is necessary for combustion) at a rate that is almost unbelievable. What is a major component of air? Water.

I wouldn't worry too much about opened and resealed bottles of oil. Your engine is exposed to much more air just sitting in the driveway.

BayouTitan
4X2 SE Radiant Silver
Popular Package
Big Tow Package
Utility Bed Package
Born on 12/03

Jump to top