I'm now using the new Mobil 1 15,000 mile Super Syn. - Page 2 - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 02:15 AM
Banned

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Here's what the Mobil 1 web site says,
Mobil 1 Extended Performance
You've never seen an oil like this before. Mobil 1® Extended Performance is a new high-endurance motor oil with 36 percent more anti-wear additives and 37 percent more cleaning agents than current Mobil 1 formulations. It is a fully synthetic formulation that helps extend engine life, reduce oil breakdown and minimize engine wear -- all while helping to keep your engine clean. Improvements that add up to exceptional protection for 15,000 miles. Guaranteed.

Benefits:

Guaranteed performance and protection for up to 15,000 miles.

Mobil 1 technology designed for today’s longer service intervals.

Proprietary formulation with
50 percent more SuperSyn helps keep engines running like new
. (Maybe this is why it quieted down the top end?)

Helps extend engine life by reducing wear and oil breakdown.

Mobil 1 technology has been field tested over the last 20 years in the most severe driving conditions.

Suitable for cars, vans and light trucks.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...rformance.aspx

Last edited by Squid; 04-18-2005 at 02:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 09:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLWedge09
Well, i believe you on the top end noise. I don't run synthetic, but I have noticed a difference with different oils. I live in an apartment so I'm still letting a dealership change my oil for now. I went to a different dealership once and they used Valvoline 10W30 instead of the dino Mobil I usaually get. Same weight, but major difference.

Just don't start telling me that your exhaust sounds "throatier".

you can only imagine how much horsepower he gained
#18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 09:26 AM
Banned

hmmm, interesting info squid!!! i think i will do the same, i'm due for an oil change anyheww!! are you sure you cleaned the wax out of your ears, maybe that's why its quieter
by the way, noticed the new front plate, dolphins ehh? how bout you swap that out for a chargers one? i'll send one over!!
#19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 02:35 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Justintoxicated
Squid won't changing it every 7500 miles void your warranty?

"To achieve the best peace of mind related to engine protection, many vehicle owners change their engine oils every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. Is this practice rendered meaningless with the advent of the Mobil high-endurance oils?

No, consumers should continue their current maintenance practices. They can now achieve peace of mind knowing the guaranteed performance and protection intervals of the new Mobil line of high-endurance oils. Mobil Clean 5000, Mobil Clean 7500, and Mobil 1 Extended Performance protect critical engine parts from lubricant-related failure for 5,000/7,500/15,000 miles - guaranteed.

What's the difference between Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance?

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn technology exceeds the latest industry and OEM requirements. It is designed for vehicles under warranty and will provide protection for the maximum oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual or by your oil life sensor. Mobil 1 is designed for excellent low temperature and high temperature operation. It is designed to provide the maximum drain interval as recommended in your owner's manual. Mobil 1 Extended Performance is guaranteed to protect your engine for 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. "

PRG Upper Arms and SAWs DR rears 4" lift, AEM, Stillen Exhaust, Ham Radio, 200 PSI onboard Air compressor.

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 04-18-2005 at 02:43 PM.
#20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Banned

All right Justin, I'm only going to do this once so pay attention.
Bought truck in August.
This is now April.
Truck now has TWENTY FOUR THOUSAND SIX HUNDRED AND FORTY EIGHT MILES ON THE ODOMETEER. There are 8 months between August and April.
24,648 divided by 8 = 3081.

So I'm driving over 3000 miles a month.

Now we will go to page 7, DETERMINING THE PROPER MAINTENANCE INTERVAL in the SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE GUIDE that came with your truck. (SEE Thumbnail below)

Now what were you saying?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maintenance.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	10556  
#21 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 04:00 PM

yea I read that too but I don't understand really...couldent they claim you waited too long to change your oil still? I'm curious because I'm deciding on a synthetic oil to use myself next oil change and I don't want to void my warranty (it will have about 4,000 on it). I don't think it's worth spending $80-100 on oil every change if I have to change it every 3,700 miles anyways. So for us who are still in warranty can we still only change it every 7500 miles if we use this oil or does it void the warranty???? I tow a light trailer for many of the miles so I'm wondering if in my case it would even be worth using synthetic since I'm supposed to change it at 3,700 miles no matter what kinda oil I use acording to the manual.

My Friend has a X-terra and their dealer told them if they even use synthetic it will void their warranty...

PRG Upper Arms and SAWs DR rears 4" lift, AEM, Stillen Exhaust, Ham Radio, 200 PSI onboard Air compressor.

Last edited by Justintoxicated; 04-18-2005 at 04:04 PM.
#22 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated
yea I read that too but I don't understand really...couldent they claim you waited too long to change your oil still? I'm curious because I'm deciding on a synthetic oil to use myself next oil change and I don't want to void my warranty (it will have about 4,000 on it). I don't think it's worth spending $80-100 on oil every change if I have to change it every 3,700 miles anyways. So for us who are still in warranty can we still only change it every 7500 miles if we use this oil or does it void the warranty???? I tow a light trailer for many of the miles so I'm wondering if in my case it would even be worth using synthetic since I'm supposed to change it at 3,700 miles no matter what kinda oil I use acording to the manual.

My Friend has a X-terra and their dealer told them if they even use synthetic it will void their warranty...
They can't void your warranty for using synthetics unless it explicitly states so in the manual....which it does not. The manual states that mineral based oils are RECOMMENDED. The argument can even be made..if you want to take it that far..that synthetics ARE essentially mineral based.

As for the longer drain interval, as long as your oil holds up well...which it has been proven that the Mobil 1 does..then there is no way that they can void your warranty for using an interval that the manual recommends. The dealer can't prove what type of driving you're doing. They can test the oil in case of a failure if they want, but if it tests out in good enough condition then they have to honor your warranty. Dealers just want to scare you into changing more often in the hopes that you will go to them for it.
#23 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 06:54 PM

sounds good I was thinking about runnign amsoil 5-30 but for the price I'm thinking mobile 1 sounds liek a better option, and then I could change all the oil and not jsut the filters...Which I'm sure is better overall.

#24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 05:13 AM
TOK

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
That comment about the oil life sensor is interesting, because manufacturers are using different methods of determining how to make it light. I read that GM's doesn't "check" the oil at all, it simply tallies drive time and counts cold/warm starts. You could put 5 quarts of syrup in there and it wouldn't trigger the light before the engine blew.

It wouldn't surprise me if others were the same way. I'm pretty skeptical that an oil life sensor is checking viscosity and contaminants. Do any do this?

04 XE 4x4
1000 Pounds Of Crap In The Back Levelling Kit
#25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOK
That comment about the oil life sensor is interesting, because manufacturers are using different methods of determining how to make it light. I read that GM's doesn't "check" the oil at all, it simply tallies drive time and counts cold/warm starts. You could put 5 quarts of syrup in there and it wouldn't trigger the light before the engine blew.

It wouldn't surprise me if others were the same way. I'm pretty skeptical that an oil life sensor is checking viscosity and contaminants. Do any do this?
I've never owned a vehicle wiith an oil life sensor. So I did a search and this is what I found. Pretty interesting seems it's all about sludge buildup from people who don't take care of their vehicles.

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=122&did=969
#26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid
I've never owned a vehicle wiith an oil life sensor. So I did a search and this is what I found. Pretty interesting seems it's all about sludge buildup from people who don't take care of their vehicles.

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=122&did=969
After reading this, I can see the validity of the argument for the sensors on one hand. On the other I see another part that will just keep screwing up over and over again. I can't help but wonder why people want to go to such great lengths to protect the people who don't have enough common sense to change or have their oil changed at reasonable intervals.

It seems to me that if you're going to spend so much money on a vehicle and plan on keeping it for a long time that you should want to do everything possible to keep it running correctly in the first place. By the time this sensor warns someone of a problem, it's probably already going to be pretty far gone anyway. Either that, or it will keep telling people there is a problem when there isn't.
#27 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
After reading this, I can see the validity of the argument for the sensors on one hand. On the other I see another part that will just keep screwing up over and over again. I can't help but wonder why people want to go to such great lengths to protect the people who don't have enough common sense to change or have their oil changed at reasonable intervals.

It seems to me that if you're going to spend so much money on a vehicle and plan on keeping it for a long time that you should want to do everything possible to keep it running correctly in the first place. By the time this sensor warns someone of a problem, it's probably already going to be pretty far gone anyway. Either that, or it will keep telling people there is a problem when there isn't.

Marketing bragging rights.

There are more brand X vehicles on the road than brand Y.

I guess?
#28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid
Marketing bragging rights.

There are more brand X vehicles on the road than brand Y.

I guess?
Probably hit the nail right on the head. Just another of the many safety innovations introduced with the all new ____________(Insert manufacturer and vehicle name here).
#29 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Probably hit the nail right on the head. Just another of the many safety innovations introduced with the all new ____________(Insert manufacturer and vehicle name here).
That's all I can think of. If I Blow my engine the first thing they do is an oil analysis so it's not a warrenty thing.
#30 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 05:40 PM

Squid, since you've had it in a few days now, does it still seem quieter? Is it just when cold that it seems to have changed?

Jump to top