Replacing an E-locker Rear Differential with a Trutrac - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Replacing an E-locker Rear Differential with a Trutrac

My Swap is now COMPLETE. I have went from a factory E-Locker to a Trutrac.
Attached is my final parts list. Below are my notes for preparation and install.

TruTrac Preperation
Remove bolts 1 by 1, add Red locktite, torque to 55ft-lbs
Have new Bearings pressed on

Axle removal and seal replacement
Thanks to Bestatchess for this AMAXING how too: http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...ls-w-pics.html

E-locker to TT axle preparation
If you have an E-locker and are swapping to a Trutrac, according to multiple 4x4 shops, to be safe you need to order a 4x2 passenger side axle. Press off old seals/bearings/hardware making sure to swap old passenger axle hardware to new passenger axle and then press new seals/bearings and reused hardware on.

E-Locker removal
CHECK BACKLASH BEFORE DOING ANYHING
Mark bearing caps DT PT (Drivers Top, Passangers Top) they have to be put back on the same way
Thanks to Spoolie for some good notes here: 2009 titan TT diff install
Loosen Preload adjusters
Unplug the E-locker wire from inside differential
Pull carrier out (be careful it is heavy)
Clean the gasket off cover and diff
Clean out entire differential
Unplug sensor from top of differential
Remove the plunger from Differential (unscrews from the outside with a 19mm wrench)

Installing new Trutrac
Unbolt Ring Gear off Old Carrier
Bolt Ring Gear down to Trutrac by adding Red locktite and torque to 133ft-lbs. I had to use a vice to hold the Trutrac
Install trutrac into differential
Install bearing caps the exact way
Set Backlash by adjusting Preload adjusters
Install 14mm 1.5pitch Hillman Auto Drain plug where the plunger was (pictures attached)

Axle installation
Reverse order of removal
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/tita...ls-w-pics.html

Adjusting backlash Notes
Setting the lash is easy, but it is tedious. Those bearings have to be pretty tight. I ended up having to take the passenger side almost all the way down then set the driver’s side as close to the target number as possible then I adjusted the passenger side to get the lash set to my target number.
Left (ring side) goes down, right (carrier side) goes up to tighten the lash.
Other notes
If you bend the bracket plate that holds the axle to the rearend (has the 4 bolts on it) I have attached a picture of how I fixed them. Place the nuts on the plate studs and then place the axle in a vice and put a ratchet extension in the middle.
If you put the axle in and the new wheel studs don’t line up right attached is a picture of how I fixed that. Put a lug on the stud and tap it.

ORIGINAL THREAD BELOW
Well the rear end finally went south yesterday. It sounded like reading an old batman comic. Something like this, BOOM POW BANG BANG THUMP THUMP POW BOOM. I limped it back home, parked it in the driveway, and pouted for a while well come to think of it I'm still pouting.

I have been doing my research on installing a Trutrac in the trucks rear end.

It is a 2005 4x4 CC BT with the E-locker so it has the on/off switch on the dash. Thanks to mcginkleschmidt I have the attached document with a good list of all the parts I need. I know I'm going to need 3.36 Ring and Pinion set also. I have read and saved many good install write ups. I have a friend that can help set the backlash so I'm pretty confident with the install.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with links to any threads that have the info about swapping an E-locker with a Trutrac. Or, if you know spill your knowledge onto text in this thread.

Also, are there anything else with the ring and pinion gears that I need or anything outside of mcgingkleschmidt's pdf I need?

I have attached my parts list below McG's, mine is named Parts. Am I missing anything?

UPDATE 1: Popped the diff cover open and the spider gears are trashed, pieces laying in the bottom of the diff.

UPDATE 2: Pulled the axles out and the Drivers side is 34 3/4 and the passenger side is 35 5/8. Have an email into 4x4parts to see if, in their professional opinion, it would be safe to reuse either. Looking for open diff axles in junkyard now also.

UPDATE 3: Pulled the E-Locker out. Pinion looks perfect. I could NOT figure out how to get the plunger out though. Researching on how to do that but no luck so far.

UPDATE 4: The plunger simply unscrews from the outside with an 19mm wrench (if I recall)
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing an E-locker Rear Differential with a Trutrac-pluger-plug-inside.jpg   Replacing an E-locker Rear Differential with a Trutrac-plunger-plug-outside.jpg   Replacing an E-locker Rear Differential with a Trutrac-straighten-bracket.jpg   Replacing an E-locker Rear Differential with a Trutrac-straighten-stud.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: doc Final Parts List.doc (31.5 KB, 390 views)

Last edited by WhiteNite; 08-17-2014 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 2,975 Times in 1,727 Posts
iTrader Score: 36 reviews
Replacing an E-locker Rear Differential with a Trutrac

Why would you need a new pinion and gear? Unless it's effed up too, can't you use it with the TT? IIRC, you'll need one axle so that you have equal length shafts. Hopefully someone jumps in who has done the swap who had an E-Locker. I think Josh19K did it?

That's the same list I used as well. Props to McGinkleschmidt!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jbowles; 07-05-2014 at 06:42 PM.
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Re: Replacing an E-locker Rear Differential with a Trutrac

I haven't popped it open yet so I'm not 100% sure what all is damaged in there yet. I'm debating on popping it open now or waiting until I at least have the funds ready. It may be a couple weeks or so before I have all the funds.

With all the popping and banging, the truck literally bounced, and from the research on here I'm assuming the teeth are ate up on.

I have just read your right. It seems one axle is longer than the other. Some say you can swap the axle's and others say that does not work.

Someone who has done this on an E-locker please chime in.

Last edited by WhiteNite; 07-06-2014 at 07:24 AM.
post #4 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 AM

Thanked 1,540 Times in 965 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Mc's list is just for the TT with ring and pinon you would need a separate kit that contains other bearings and crush sleeves. Take the cover off just to see what chunks are there and where they came from. as far as e-locker goes I ran TT for two years with out swapping axles . just differentials says to just swap axles and it will take up play. there is only about a 1/4 inch diff between the two. Like I said it ran for me without the swap. not that I did not have issues but after 80 or so 0-60's chit happens!

[04 CC BT OFFROAD
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA CC TX View Post
Mc's list is just for the TT with ring and pinon you would need a separate kit that contains other bearings and crush sleeves. Take the cover off just to see what chunks are there and where they came from. as far as e-locker goes I ran TT for two years with out swapping axles . just differentials says to just swap axles and it will take up play. there is only about a 1/4 inch diff between the two. Like I said it ran for me without the swap. not that I did not have issues but after 80 or so 0-60's chit happens!
I thought it was over an inch difference from what I have read?
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:31 AM

Garage

Nope here's mine 04 big tow 4x4 ,,,, and my TT notice the chip in the splines ,that happened when I stripped driver side axle,,,WooHoo!
Attached Thumbnails
Replacing an E-locker Rear Differential with a Trutrac-img_20140409_162235.jpg   Replacing an E-locker Rear Differential with a Trutrac-img_20140409_155419.jpg  

[04 CC BT OFFROAD
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA CC TX View Post
Nope here's mine 04 big tow 4x4 ,,,, and my TT notice the chip in the splines ,that happened when I stripped driver side axle,,,WooHoo!
Did you try to swap sides with the axles? How did you strip the axle?

Last edited by WhiteNite; 07-06-2014 at 12:22 PM.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 01:28 PM

Garage

No never did swap axles and the axle f-up was called first thing on cold morning stomp for neighbor,, Before uprev on superchip performance mode.

[04 CC BT OFFROAD
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 AM Thread Starter

Bump....Anyone know for sure if you can swap axles (drivers<-->passengers) and solve the axle length issue when replacing an E-locker with a Trutrac?
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 06:24 AM
Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNite View Post
Bump....Anyone know for sure if you can swap axles (drivers<-->passengers) and solve the axle length issue when replacing an E-locker with a Trutrac?
I also have an 05 4x4 BT e-locker with 3.36 and I didn't have to get a shorter axle. The shop that did my install was stumped as well. I do remember they tried to swap the axles pass to driver side and it did NOT work. They called Eaton directly who told them how to shim the trutrac. Not sure exactly what shims and which direction they installed but its been 3 years and 30k miles knock-on-wood later.

05 LE CC 4x4 BT
Mods:
lots of stuff

Last edited by Scan999; 07-07-2014 at 06:31 AM. Reason: found this on Eaton's website not much detail... "xxii All vehicles equipped with OE Electric Locker require modification"
post #11 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 09:14 AM

Which side is longer, passenger or driver?
post #12 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scan999 View Post
I also have an 05 4x4 BT e-locker with 3.36 and I didn't have to get a shorter axle. The shop that did my install was stumped as well. I do remember they tried to swap the axles pass to driver side and it did NOT work. They called Eaton directly who told them how to shim the trutrac. Not sure exactly what shims and which direction they installed but its been 3 years and 30k miles knock-on-wood later.
I just spoke with the guys at Eaton and the "official" word is the Trutrac is for open differentials not those built with E-Lockers. He said he does know there are guys doing it but he does not know how they are doing it. I asked him if the answer was to Shim it or to buy new axles and he responded with there is no answer. Nice guy though.
post #13 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Premium User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteNite View Post
I just spoke with the guys at Eaton and the "official" word is the Trutrac is for open differentials not those built with E-Lockers. He said he does know there are guys doing it but he does not know how they are doing it. I asked him if the answer was to Shim it or to buy new axles and he responded with there is no answer. Nice guy though.
Funny they had a different story three years ago. I guess its either which representative from Eaton you get or they have changed their tune. Anyway my truck seems to be just fine with a TT.

05 LE CC 4x4 BT
Mods:
lots of stuff
post #14 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWAZ! View Post
Which side is longer, passenger or driver?
Looks like the passenger side is too long. Here is a quote from Austin, who seems to be the original installer for the 1st TT in a Titan.

Originally Posted by Austin
The old carrier bearings were re-used on the new carrier. I bought new axle seals from my local dealer, but they weren't used. I'll probably end up returning them.

For those with a locking rear end, you have un-equal length shafts. You'll need to either shim the passenger side axle out some with shims behind the axle bearing outer race (we used 0.090) or extend the splines on the passenger side axle by about 1/8" for clearance. Basically, the longer passenger side axle goes in just a bit too far.

We used old-style D44 ARB shims, which fit perfectly. I brought a couple home so that I could measure ID and OD, but I haven't done that yet. I also stopped by my local awesome dealer and picked up another broken axle. I plan on using the shorter driver side axle shaft from the new axle assembly on the passenger side of my current axle. Easier than using a Dremel to extend the splines.

Also, those with a locking rear end have a diff lock position sensor - just a plunger type sensor (you can see pics on my website). The plunger slightly rubs the TrueTrac carrier, so it must be removed. It can be replaced with an M14x1.5 bolt... about 1/2" long is all you need. Alternately, you could just snip the plunger off the sensor housing with a pair of dikes.

For those with a non-locking rear end, you have equal length axle shafts. There are no special needs for installation.

There were no other seals or new parts, except for the M14x1.5 bolt to plug the position switch hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scan999 View Post
Funny they had a different story three years ago. I guess its either which representative from Eaton you get or they have changed their tune. Anyway my truck seems to be just fine with a TT.
You would think they would have a simple "solution" such as the one in the quote above from Austin....
post #15 of 82 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Premium User

That would explain the shims the local shop used on my truck as well. Good find.

05 LE CC 4x4 BT
Mods:
lots of stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top