Nissan Titan Forum banner

service engine soon light

91K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  jesselivengood 
#1 ·
Mine just came on today and does not run rough or anything noticable..but it is first time i've driven it in the rain( not sure if had anything to do with it)..
Is there anyone who has a way to read the code near central Illinois.
Or any other advice would be appreciated..

2004 titan 4x4 cc 82,000 miles

#2 ·
Go to an auto parts store and get them to read the code. There is also a DIY way to do it somewhere here on the forum.

#3 ·
Turn the key to run and wait for 3 full seconds.
Push the accelerator all the way down 5 times in 5 seconds or less.
Count to 7 full seconds, or 8, it's ok.
Hold the pedal down for at least 10 seconds, the CEL will begin flashing.
You'll see it flashing slow and fast, when it goes from slow to fast begin counting the fast flashes. The fast ones will count out the code number...

For example: 10 flashes=0
3 flashes=3
2=2
7=7, you get the point....P0327 is a knock sensor code.
Followed by some slow flashes, then it will repeat until you hold the pedal down for another 10 seconds....Which will reset the ECU.

Write down your number and post it here.

Reactions: NKYTITAN
#9 · (Edited)
ya that was pretty cool!:fktardxpl I guess you could say it blew my mind lol watch the little guys face for a few.

#5 ·
I stopped by my local AutoZone tonight on my way home from work and had them read my code light and this was what i got.
there were 2 codes present
1st) EVAP control system gross leak detected (?)
causes..(1)-faulty fuel cap (2)purge system leak (3) faulty canister vent control valve (4) faulty purge control valve

2nd) ASCD switch malfunction
causes..(1)failed cruise control switch -open or short circuit condition
(2) failed cruise control module

I was using my cruise control when the light came on but it never showed any signs of not working and i hadnt added fuel to it the day the light came on and have since added gas and made sure to tighten the cap correctly..
given this info anyone have any ideas and best way to reset the code to see if the light even comes back on?

#7 · (Edited)
yes I have them.

1st is a P0455 code (autozone)
2nd is a P1564 code (autozone)

these are the codes that popped up and my previous post were their potential causes that the computer suggested...Anyone have a better idea as i do not want to just start throwing parts at it..
thanks for any help/input

#8 ·
P1564 does have to do with cruise control, could possibly be a loose wire, If I remember correctly there are some threads about a black wire that gets loose in the steering wheel column.
P0455 is your Evap Canister, could possibly be a recall item, others have had issues with their pressure valve, could also be a simple as not having your cap on tight enough.

#11 ·
This is good, right?

Sent On The Fly & From Behind The Wheel!

#13 ·
Nowadays, you can pick up a DTC reader for less than $40 at any AutoZone. If you manage to pull the code, don't hesitate to post it up so that we can help you troubleshoot.

Reactions: LUBECAKES
#14 ·
You can also buy a simble bluetooth adaptor ($10) for your OBD portoff ebay and pay $5 for torque pro app for your android device, read all the codes and also be able to monitor about anything you want to on your truck

#15 · (Edited)
Wow! I had no idea how cheap those bluetooth adapters were now. If I didn't have a BD, I would buy one.

#18 ·
Might be looking at a faulty evap canister/valve, which is an easy fix.

Reactions: LUBECAKES
#19 ·
Yup, probably the valve. At least it doesn't count as anything serious.

#21 ·
#26 ·
Potentially your MAF sensor which is located on the air intake tube

#28 ·
Go to any auto parts store - AutoZone, O'reilly's, whatever - and they should either run a scan or let you borrow the tool and scan for free. Record any and all Pxxxx codes. The service manual and this forum can help you get to route cause for the codes that come up.

Let us now what you find.

Cheers!

#29 ·
I actually got it finally about 10 minutes after posting. I actually work at a large national chain repair facility and could have scanned it at work tomorrow. Just impatient. There is a related TSB(Technical service bulletin) about my codes.

P0455
P0464

One is for the sending unit and other is EVAP code. Apparently there is a known issue with the EVAP system on at least my truck. Will try to research more and update tomorrow.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Ah, thanks.

P0455 is a gross leak indication, so make sure there isn't anything obvious with the fuel filler cap, broken tubing, etc. Beyond that, there are a bunch of causes that are listed in the SM (Section EC) that include failed purge valves, EVAP canister, etc. I know of at least one TSB regarding the venting system that affected my truck (although not throwing this code).

Interesting - P0464 isn't listed as a valid code in the 2014 SM (which I have for my truck). But the P0460-0463 codes all have to do with the fuel level sensor.

I'd be checking for damage or failed components around the fuel tank, I think...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.