Nissan Titan Forum banner

Towing Package Upgrade

6K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  JohnS 
#1 ·
My 2008 Titan XE 2WD did not come with the factory towing package. I was told it had the towing package but after researching the forums it is clear that I do not. My question is, what is the difference between the my truck and one that came with the towing package?

I know the rear end gears are different. I have the 3.36 and I know the towing package has the 2.94. I had to purchase the three relays that go under the hood to get turn signals and 12V power to the 7 pin plug. There was already a Class IV hitch installed.

So other than the obvious Rear End Gear swap to the 2.94. What else am I missing? My hopes are to get to were I can have the larger towing capacity.

Thank you for any help.

#2 ·
The towin package is 3.36 gears...

Reactions: agnostic x
#3 ·
My 2008 Titan XE 2WD did not come with the factory towing package. I was told it had the towing package but after researching the forums it is clear that I do not. My question is, what is the difference between the my truck and one that came with the towing package?

I know the rear end gears are different. I have the 3.36 and I know the towing package has the 2.94. I had to purchase the three relays that go under the hood to get turn signals and 12V power to the 7 pin plug. There was already a Class IV hitch installed.

So other than the obvious Rear End Gear swap to the 2.94. What else am I missing? My hopes are to get to were I can have the larger towing capacity.

Thank you for any help.

How much are you wanting to tow? You can still move 6500lbs with out the big tow gears.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 · (Edited)
How did you come to the conclusion that you have 3.36 gears?You can have your vin number run at the dealership to find out what it came with from the factory.Do you have tow mirrors and is the hitch a factory one?There may be a chance someone already changed out the rear axle with the 3.36 if that's the case youre good to go.The axle should have a sticker on the tube unless it came off.You can google (how to check axle ratio)that should confirm the concerns you have. I think its with the rear on jack stands you manually rotate the rear wheel slowly counting the amount of turns the tire makes at the twelve oclock postion as a reference point; having made a mark on the drive shaft counting those revolutions.This gives the ratio. good luck

#5 · (Edited)
You have alot of mis information.

The big tow gears are the 3.36 gears, the 2.94 are not big tow gears, so you do want the 3.36 gears to tow.

The towing package does not include the bigger gears. The towing package only consists of a tranny temp gauge, class IV hitch , and 7 pin plug, so it looks like you do have the tow package.

The big tow package includes the 3.36 gears and towing mirrors.

#6 ·
Starting in 06 the big tow package was available as an option for the XE.
You will not get the big extendable mirrors with the XE but should have all the other options.
Is there any sticker on your rear axle?
Do a 70mph roll on the freeway, you should be at 2K RPM for 3.36 gear.

#9 · (Edited)
Ok ,I don't think I had bad information, I think I just had the information backwards! LOL!

I do have the 3.36 gears as indicated by the sticker on my door (C33) and the tag on the diff. So, that is a GOOD thing apparently. I do not have the big tow mirrors because I have the XE however I have purchased the big tow mirrors and wiring harness with the switch (Found out how to do this on this forum), just have not installed them yet.

The hitch is a Reese hitch, so that kind of confuses me unless they were the factory supplier for Nissan? So, did I just get lucky on the rear end gears? If I do have the tow package why were the relays not installed under the hood for the 7 pin plug to have turn signals and 12V?

I only ask these questions because I want the option if needed to upgrade campers. I have a Hybrid camper now that when loaded is probably close to 5500lbs which tows just fine but we are looking to buy a larger one and I want the ability to easily tow it and not be limited in my selection choices.

#18 ·
It's not a theory. You say it "might not be true in all instances", so give me an example of why it would be different.

Same engine in all of our trucks. Same transmission in all of our trucks. So what does that leave as the variable? Axle gears.

You're either running in 4th, or you're on the big gears.

#19 ·
well I bought my truck pre-owned maybe the previous owner upgraded the gearing? I have no idea. I am just going by what I know man. Sticker says 2.96 and at 70 I am exactly at 2k. I am not trying to argue with you man nor am I trying to state I am a know it all because I am far from it. This is my first titan.

#24 ·
Some trucks were sold without the relays. Or someone at the dealer kyped them from yours to put into a truck that was sold without them.

Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know when God is going to turn you into Forrest Gimp. Run Forrest run! Buwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

#26 ·
I have a 2011 SV, with tow mirrors, temp gauge, 7 pin connector, Class IV hitch, all fuses in place, brake controller, but the sticker on the axle is warn off. I contacted Nissan and they said I have 2.937 axle ratio. Since it's not called "Big Tow" I have the Utility Package, but not the Max Utility Package. I tow my 23' flagstaff with no issues, but it sucks I have everything possible except the tow gears.
'

#32 ·
Just the opposite round here, couldn't find any 4wd with the 3.36, and not a Pro4x to be found.

#33 ·
Well the thread I started turned a whole new direction... and I am still a little confused as to what weight I can safely tow with the equipment I have.

I have the 3.36 Gears (I now know that is the towing package gears - I think?)

I have the small mirrors (XE Package - But Upgrading those)

I did not have the Turn signal or 12V relays under the hood. (But they just arrived in the mail)

I have a class IV Reese brand hitch.

I have the 7 PIN connector.

I DO NOT have the transmission temp gauge. (Is that an XE thing?)

#34 ·
Sorry about the thread direction, but I've searched through so many threads trying to get correct information about what I can tow also. I have everything that people say is "Big Tow", and after researching I have Premium Tow, but there's also Max Big Tow or Max Premium Tow, and these only have 3.36 gears. I have all options from the factory except gears, so 2.94 gears can tow 7,300 lbs, and 3.36 gears can tow 9,300 lbs.

It's possible you have 3.36 gears with a standard tow package, but the small mirrors, no temp gauge and no relays would say otherwise.

Either way, with just people in your truck and a small payload in the rear, you can easily tow 7,000 lbs. with either gear.

#35 ·
XE 2wd with 3.36 is 9500 pounds. 4x4 is a couple hundred pounds less.

Some people walk like an Egyptian. I walk like the pope with a cane.

#36 · (Edited)
The CC33 on the door does not mean you have 3.36 gears. you need to go under the truck and look for the sticker an the rear end. If not get a GPS and go 70 you should be at 2K rpms, use GPS my titan is at 72 on the speedo at 2K.

XE will not have tow mirrors unless added because XE did not come with power mirrors and the tow mirrors are power.

No relays, aftermarket hitch, your truck did not come with the what I will call tow package.

Temp gauge is hit or miss on year. My 08.5 has what was then called tow package and got you gears but no temp gauge on XE.

this is 08.5 but should be close enough

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.