Nissan Titan Forum banner

08 Transmission problems Very frustrated!!

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Smoke05 
#1 ·
I have an 08 Titan, 140,000 mi. Transmission seems to not engage some times while driving. It seems to happen mostly when I go around a corner then accelerate or slow down quickly then accelerate. A few times when I went from a stop to driving again it would rev high and creep to a slow start then be fine once I got it up to speed. I checked fluid levels in transmission, levels are fine. Dropped my transmission pan, replaced the fluid that would come out with the proper magic fluid J, and replaced the gasket and transmission filter. Still having same problem. It did go away for a few days but ultimately returned. Levels where fine when checked again. I put in another half quart just to be sure. Fixed again for a day or two. The only thing I did to the truck is change the radiator because my fan blew apart and ripped a hole in it. I did have to remove the transmission cooler to do the radiator replacement. I did not have a cracked radiator like a lot of these other sites are saying is contaminating the transmission fluid. I am at my wits end with this thing. Can anyone help?

#2 ·
Sounds like a fluid delivery to the pump problem. I would triple check the fluid level.

#3 ·
I've heard of this before, but never heard of a solution. Where did you find a "filter"? Mine has a particle screen in it.

#4 ·
It is a partical screen. I wanted to change the seal when i dropped the pan and the so called filter, which is a partical screen came with it, so I changed that as well. The one that was in there was perfectly fine, just figured why not. At this point im willing to try anything.

#5 ·
I don't know much about Transmissions, is there some sort of a pump that delivers the fluid? Is the pump something that could be going out and causing this? Does anyone know if there is a speed sensor of some sort that regulates when its supossed to shift that could be going out? When I changed out the radiator and had to remove the tranny cooler, should i have done anything special to burp it or something?

#6 ·
Do you still have the old filter? Maybe the new one isn't sitting deep enough in the pan. You description of the problem tells me it is probably windage related. Fluid isnt getting to the pickup point. Is the dipstick seated correctly?

#8 ·
The OP doesn't know much about transmissions yet serviced the original and now installed a used one to fix the issue with the one that he serviced? Smh

He'd fit right in at some Nissan dealerships as a tech.

#9 ·
I don't know enough about the inside of a transmission. it does not take a genius like you to understand what a transmission does not work anymore.believe me, changing it out was the last resort. Just because I'm not a transmission expert does not mean I can't change out a few bolts and put a new one in. jackass

#10 ·
Judging by your lack of success, I'd say there is more to it than simply changing out a few bolts and putting the new one in.

You got good advice here. You just aren't technically proficient eough to make use of it. Why not just take it to the dealer or better yet a transmission shop and see what they would have said? If it only had issues with directional changes, it was likely fluid related and they might know what to look for. There is no shame in seeing an expert if you get in over your head.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.