Nissan Titan Forum banner

Anyone running manual hubs?

4K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Smoke05 
#1 · (Edited)
Saw these when I was looking for the whole hub assembly, probably save a lot on MPG's without the whole axle and everything turning while in 2wd. http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/shop_parts/locking_hub/nissan/titan.html

#2 ·
didn't know they made them for the titan. You have a link??

#3 ·
Just added it lol I forgot to earlier

#4 ·
Yea they are the same one's that sold me a CSF radiator when stillin was the only distributor,,,,, lol go ahead an order one and let us know what happens

#6 · (Edited)
^^^ Good one! fun to learn new stuff for the T

#7 ·
Thanks Kronos I guess my link didn't work, I'm really interested in them. Once the funds are there I'll be ordering... just had to replace both front hub assemblies though so I be broke!

#14 · (Edited)
I believe that all the manual hubs do is disconnect the axle shaft from the hub of the wheel/rotor. In "Free" mode your axle shaft and drive shaft no longer spin when the wheels turn. This is where you get your MPG improvement. Change it to "Lock" mode and it functions just like the OEM setup.

I had manual hubs on my '91 Ford Ranger. It made a noticeable difference. In "Lock" you could tell you didn't have the same amount of power as in "Free" mode.

#15 ·
I did an install on my 1995 Nissan Pathfinder and had Truetrac in the back.

A significant improvement in 4WD and a 1 mpg on the highway.

I never shift on the fly to begin with so IF this is legit, I'm in! Just have to decide if it requires re-gearing which I don't think so...dunno

#16 ·
JC Whitney had a picture of WARN Hubs for $106 but the rep said the pic was just generic and the WARN Hubs are actually $300... they lost my business. Where I work if there's a $10 tag on a $100 product we eat the $90

#17 ·
One really nice feature of locking hubs is that you now have a 2Lo option. There have been a number of times where I really wanted to use a creeping gear but I didn't need front traction.

#19 ·
There are some posts on this forum that say the transfer case is lubricated by the spinning of the front driveshaft.

#20 ·
That's the only thing I'd be worried about

#21 ·
Why would you want to have to get out of your vehicle to lock your hubs is what is most likely going to be a bad situation/horrible weather condition? I had locking hubs on a couple of my previous vehicles, shift on the fly is one of the greatest inventions around.

#22 ·
Just for gas mileage... that's a lot of rotating mass your getting rid of.

#23 ·
MPG is the only reason I would do it. I don't see it happening on my Titan.

#24 ·
Had locking hubs before. Just locked them when I knew I was likely to need them. With them locked it essentially becomes shift on the fly. I would leave mine engaged all winter. Only drawback is mileage drops. Not like you are going to start off some hairy off roading with them unlocked knowing you'll likely need 4wd.

Curious as to how these would work on a Titan. Seems a bit unicorn like seeing that no one seems to have bought them or installed a set here in almost 10 years

#25 ·
I'm thinking that the OEM wheel hub opening may not be large (diameter) enough to fit these manual hubs. Some of the descriptions say that they are a direct replacement. Replacement for what? I would expect that there has to be some significant changes to the hub to make this work.

#26 ·
Maybe they are direct replacement. They are locking hubs. As in ALWAYS LOCKED! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.