Nissan Titan Forum banner

Possible U joint problem?

4K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  TitanGuy34 
#1 ·
I climbed under the truck just for normal inspection which I do from time to time. Noticed my front u joint has a bit of grease/oil around the seals. Nothing looks like it's sprayed anywhere, nor any dripping. Also it has a bit of play in it. Took a video, but can't upload to photobucket (too large). I can wiggle it back and forth about an inch each way...it does have a locking point after that and doesn't go any further. Is this normal or something I need fixed ASAP?

See less See more
#2 ·
What's moving an inch either way?
If that u joint does not have a grease fitting then chances are it's on it's way out.

#3 ·
Not the actual u joint. I can turn the shaft back and forth. Maybe not an inch, maybe less. Do notice an ever so slight clunk sometimes when I'm pulling up to a stop as well.

#4 ·
Your differentials will have some rotational slack, even when they're new.
If the u joint is tight, it's probably fine. Your front shaft has almost no angle to it, so those u joints are more likely to seize than wear out.

#8 ·
Hey thanks fellas. Nothing like that yet lol. I still have a slight intermittent clunk sometimes when slowing down to a stop. Normally between 10mph-5mph. It's hardly noticeable and rarely happens since I swapped bilsteins to coilovers...don't know if that had anything to do with it.

#9 · (Edited)
I just got mine back from the dealer, had the same kind of clunk. Took it in under the drivetrain warranty. Its 2011 but only has 38k miles. So I tell them what its doing, they replaced the driveshaft and all the u-joints. Drives like a totally new truck now. Zero noise and seems like it goes from reverse to drive smoother as well.

#11 ·
With grease seeping out like that, it's time to replace. Take off the driveshaft and feel for any notch in all 4 direction. If there's any notch, the needles bearings are eating into the u-joint journal. And whatever you do, do not buy cheap grease able joints. That looks like the front shaft so they are 1310 series joint. OEM Dana Spicer joint # is 5-1310x.

#13 ·
A precision #369 from Napa will work just fine for 15 bucks. The front shaft has almost no movement, so grease it every 6,000 miles or so and it'll never seize up on you.

#14 ·
I definitely would never use or recommend a Precision joint. I've installed a few for customers and they have end play from brand new. A Dana Spicer snap tight 5-1310x on Ebay goes for $21.47 shipped. My price is $12 a piece. They are forged and are a lot stronger than the grease able joints. And I have never installed snap tight with end play.

#15 ·
I don't know what you're doing wrong yang, but I've done several dozen precisions over the years and never had an issue with any of them.
Greaseable u joints are also a better answer for this situation, because the shaft is almost straight. A non greaseable will eventually seize again.
If strength is an issue then someone needs to reconsider how the vehicle is being used.

#19 ·
There isn't anything that I'm doing wrong. Precision joints are cheaply made. Ive seen way too many customers bring in driveshafts with precision joints and they all are garbage. Notchy and a ton of end play. Not only the 1310 series, all precision joints. If I was going greaseable, I'd stick with Neapco. Dana Spicer snap tights are forged and uses a special grease. That's what comes in our truck from factory and a lot of other truck brand.

#16 ·
I was under my truck last night and noticed the same picture on the u-joint closest to the transfer case on the front shaft. I haven't noticed any noises, but as in another thread I started I stated I had a massive whole truck shake between 48-55 mph all the time (even in 2wd). Since that thread I have gone on the interstate and at about 70mph I thought the truck was going to disintegrate. Also, coasting or braking causes a great shake at around 45-40 mph.

MY question is, would the front shaft cause this even in 2wd? Does that still turn on 2wd?

#17 ·
If the truck shakes, I'd say no....a fast vibration, yes. The shaft is always turning.

#22 ·
that tiny clunk you guys have is usually the TQ converter doing its weird unlock thing. its a titan thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.