Nissan Titan Forum banner

Axle Vent Mod / Voided Warranty?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Mr. Perseverance 
#1 ·
Wow, I was so excited to finally order my Cajun axle vent mod kit, got it yesterday in the mail, then one of my friends warned me about possibly voiding my warranty. I checked with my Nissan tech and he shot me down, telling me that "it should not be altered with non-factory parts while still under manufactured warranty."

Here's how it went down. I probably didn't word it right, I'm at work and I had to keep sneaking in with someone watching over my effing back. Sucks to share an office

Chat session started at 14:52:11
Please be patient while you are being connected with an operator ...

You are now chatting with Corin
Corin:Thank you for choosing the Bill Dodge Auto Group. My name is Corin how can I assist you?

Tanya:The Titan’s rear axle vent is well-documented for sticking/getting blocked, causing pressure build-up, blowing the axle seals or allowing water intrusion. There is an inexpensive kit on the market consisting of a threaded nipple, 6 ft hose and small fuel filter proven to prevent costly replacement. Would installing this kit void the warranty? There is already a “nipple” vent on the axle, this would be nothing more than a hose and filter attached to it. Please advise.

Corin:Give me one moment I am going to check with the service adviser for you.

Tanya:thanks

Corin:What year is your Titan?

Tanya:2015

Corin:He just said that it should not be altered with non-factory parts while still under manufactured warranty.

Tanya:What is covered regarding the rear axle failing, mileage, parts/labor/rental,etc
Tanya:The vent on the rear axle is a documented design flaw that Nissan will not address, are there Nissan factory parts for replacement of this vent?

Corin:I am going to have a service adviser contact you, would phone or email be best?

Tanya:Thank you. Email would be best. I'm at work and I share my office. You can email me at
tussery@rsvp.com

Corin:Okay I am going to have Bob Colson email you.

Tanya:Thanks! :)

Corin:Not a problem Tanya!

See less See more
#2 ·
Just keep the OEM valve and put it back if you have any issues? Takes 10 minutes to install/take out the axle vent from Cajun.

#3 ·
Yeah, they're dumb. It shouldn't void the warranty but even if so, like he said, just swap it back on.

You could just unscrew the axle vent, and tuck it up and out of the way and fasten it with a zip tie or something, then replace it with the OEM one. Just leave it in your glove box. If they ask about it just try to keep a straight face and tell them it's to vent condensation from your rear light housing or something, there's nothing they can say or do about it really.

But yeah, the sooner that axle vent goes in the better.

#4 ·
Thanks, yeah that's what I was thinking, just keep it and put it back on if I have to take it in for anything. I'm not shelling out for a new rear end because of some warranty telling me I can't do sh*t to my truck. Damn. I wish I had sh*t tons of money and do whatever I wanted to it, to hell with the warranty lol

And yes, they are dumb, probably wouldn't even notice it if I didn't say anything.

One question though, what about the teflon tape or adhesive, etc I'm supposed to put on the threads? Would I be able to remove the nipple? It wouldn't be loctite or anything, right?

#5 ·
just put some permatex thread sealant on it. keep a little tube of it in your glovebox with the factory vent.

Reactions: COREYMFT
#6 ·
LOL. Nissan will do and look for anything to get out of warranty repair. Trust me, I'm 44 y/o on my 7th Datsun/Nissan truck and it's always been like that. Ask them about the Magnuson-Moss warranty act which states the company has to prove the mod caused failure. Seems to me the factory parts...Axle Vent, Manifolds, brake rotors and a few other OEM parts cause most of the issues....LOL.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the ammo! I'll be sure to bring that up if/when they email me. I've yet to hear from this guy. I'm doing the mod, regardless :) I can't wait to get my hands dirty!

p.s. I found this, thanks to your info (I'd never heard of this Magnuson-Moss warranty act): In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

“The FTC’s reference to aftermarket parts is equally applicable to specialty parts,” said Russ Deane, SEMA’s General Counsel. “Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the warranty cannot be conditioned to a specific brand of parts, services or vehicle modifications unless those parts or services are provided free of charge.”

The alert notes that a consumer has the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the new car warranty. The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts."

Excellent info :)

#8 ·
I have a 15 that I bought in September and my wife bought the kit for me for Christmas. I did it right away and I was surprised at how much pressure was built up in there when I removed the factory nipple. I save the factory setup just in case I guess. I have a bully dog on there too, until I can save up the money for uprev and catless b-pipes. I don't plan on ever getting another truck unless it's in a bad accident. I couldn't justify waiting 5 years to do stuff to my truck. I'll get the headers after the warranty though, as that may be pushing the envelope.

#9 ·
Same here, except I bought it in August. I plan on keeping it as long as possible and take the best care of it. Winter was sh*tty and I put things off. I can only imagine the pressure, every mile I drive I think of it :(

I toss and turn thinking about the headers too, how I will pay for replacement and who will do it, when the time comes

#11 ·
I'm lucky that I've been employed by the same company going on 11 years now. I have earned four weeks vacation, and I can "cash out" if necessary. I've done it before, a day here or there, or even a week, if something comes up like new tires or whatever. Registration and excise tax will run me $800 or so come September. Gotta love Maine lol I'll definitely be cashing out a week for that. The headers, etc are extremely reasonable, so buying them will be no problem. I just need to plan ahead and start saving for the install. I know some guys, been going to my shop for almost a decade, maybe they can do it :)

#12 ·
I must be the exception, but my dealer has no issues with stuff I do to my truck. Hell, the Master Tech there that does any work I don't do was more than happy to put Cajun's vent mod on, as he even said "Finally, somebody has a kit to fix/prevent the rear axle pressure build up from the less than reliable factory vent." He was a fan, so to speak. I even asked about headers/UpRev, they said "No problem, just if we have to do factory updates or something to the computer, un-marry the program so we don't erase stuff."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.