Question about power loss... - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 02:39 PM

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question about power loss...

Hey there fellow Titan owners. I am excited to say that yesterday I just ordered new rims and tires for my beast. I went with MB Motoring 20x8.5 Yuma wheels. I went with 35x12.50x20 Nitto Mud Grapplers for the tires. I know that I am going to lose a cosiderable amount of power to turn those bad boys. Here is the question.. I want to add the Injen cold air intake as well as the Banks exhaust. Will adding these two get me back to where my power was before adding the wheels and tires?

Had..
05 Titan SE 4x4
Color: Blizzard
Crew Cab
Big Tow Package
Mods: Rancho 5.5" lift kit. PRG Deaver springs. 20" MB Motoring Yumas wrapped with 35x12.5x20 Nitto Mud Grapplers. PRG's stainless steel endlinks. Aries chrome step tubes. Lund stainless steel bug shield. Chrome tailgate accessory.
Have..
2007 Armada SE 4x4 black on black. No mods yet. I stress yet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 05:56 PM

Re: Question about power loss...

Anybody, Anybody? Bueller.....Bueller....

Had..
05 Titan SE 4x4
Color: Blizzard
Crew Cab
Big Tow Package
Mods: Rancho 5.5" lift kit. PRG Deaver springs. 20" MB Motoring Yumas wrapped with 35x12.5x20 Nitto Mud Grapplers. PRG's stainless steel endlinks. Aries chrome step tubes. Lund stainless steel bug shield. Chrome tailgate accessory.
Have..
2007 Armada SE 4x4 black on black. No mods yet. I stress yet!
#3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 09:10 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Only a trip down the drag-strip will tell for sure.....once before and once after.

SexySilver 2004 XE KC, Magnaflo, K-N drop in, butchered stock box, 18" 6 spoke LE wheels and Goodyear SR-A's, 80k miles
#4 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly
Hey there fellow Titan owners. I am excited to say that yesterday I just ordered new rims and tires for my beast. I went with MB Motoring 20x8.5 Yuma wheels. I went with 35x12.50x20 Nitto Mud Grapplers for the tires. I know that I am going to lose a cosiderable amount of power to turn those bad boys. Here is the question.. I want to add the Injen cold air intake as well as the Banks exhaust. Will adding these two get me back to where my power was before adding the wheels and tires?
Your not going to lose any power at all. Your engine is gonna make just as much as it did before.

depending on the overall height of the wheel/tire combo, assuming its taller than stock combo, you will lose low end tourque because you have effectivley raised your gear ratio (lower numerically).

But the plus is you will lower cruising RPM and gain MPG.

Since there doesnt appear to be any aftermarket ring and pinions available for the titan, changes ratios isnt an option.

CAI and exhaust will give you a performance boost, but its in the mid to upper rpm range, not down low, so you will actually probably lose more low end tourque with those mods as well..

Who give a crap? It aint no race car. Put the **** on there and drive it!
#5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 07:40 PM

iTrader Score: 2 reviews

I'm no guru by any means... but with the bigger wheels if there is powerloss it will be minimal (also depends on what your definition of minimal is... heh... where have I heard that before? lol ).

Like Mr. B said.. a trip to the track before and after is the only way to know for sure.
#6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 11:14 PM

iTrader Score: 9 reviews

there will be a difference but the look is just too good not to do.

I'm eyeballing the stillen SC so that would solve any problem.

formerly owned ....04 CC LE 4x2 Big Tow,Smoke, Custom Axis Crewe black 22x10 w/ 325/50/22 Kumho Road Venture AT, Bushwacker flares, CST 8inch lift, DR coilovers, rear Bilsteins, PRG traction bars,Webasto Panoramic moonroof, Volan Gen3 CAI, PowerAid TB spacer, BMW X5 bixenon HID and smoke painted headlights,Volant Vulite LED taillights, B-cool black powdercoated grills and bumpers, 20% tint on front side windows, Retrax bedcover, powerdercoated smoke Lund SS bugguard ,XE black door handles, Alpine W200 doubledin+H701 processor,OEM nav bezel w/ 7" touchscreen,Elegonics custom fiberglass box,2 6inch headrest monitors, Seas Lotus Reference comps (front stage),CDT EF61(rear fill), Brax 2400.2 amp for highs,Brax X2000 amp for subs,OK i'm tired......

pics of the Titan

#7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to KTMNealio

You loose acceleration because you truck is geared higher and your tire/wheel combo has more rotational inertia.
No power (horsepower or torque) is lost.
- Nealio

2005 SE - Smoke CC 4x4
#8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 09:33 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to ptgarcia

Even though you'll be raising the final drive ratio, more than likely you will realize a loss in fuel economy. What you would normally gain will be counteracted by the heavier tire wheel combo and the increased drag they bring with them.

I'm praying someone comes out with a lower gearset soon. I really want 35's (my 33's kinda' look silly with all the fender clearance I have, although passers by get a great look at my Foxes and Total Chaos arms) but I need that grunt I get with the 33's.

Pauly

My new ride: 3500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins turbodiesel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top