Cracked Manifolds - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Cracked Manifolds

I have a 2007 king cab 4x4 and love the truck. Right now it's got 100,XXX miles in it with many of them being recent (it was a very low mile truck until 2014). In general the truck has been very well maintained with most of the work done by dealers. I would expect few service issues with it going forward with one BIG exception:

In late 2015 round 75,000 miles the dealer service writer told me the exhaust manifolds were cracked (the truck was at the dealer for quite bit of other work - read big bill). He also said there would be no driveability issues. In late 2016 with about 95,000 on the clock it was in for more work (big bill again). The same service writer told me the same thing - no driveability issues associated with it. Only I had just read in these forums the cracked manifolds lead to excessive engine wear and lost power. Agree or not? The truck will still easily put down rubber.

About this time the truck was returning to low-mileage duty. So not urgent I get it fixed - if any damage was going to occur the vast majority was done.

1. Is there concensus about engine wear or just one member's opinion?
2.Given 25k of usage with cracked manifolds should I assume excessive engine wear?

I am trying to weigh replacing it or driving it until the wheels fall off. Strictly boat pulling and errand running duty at this time and going forward. IF I decide to replace, what year were the manifold issues fixed, 2012?

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 12:10 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,173 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews
Re: Cracked Manifolds

The manifold issues were never really fixed, they added some additional support to the crack prone areas, but they still crack. Cracked manifolds lead to running rich, more fuel dumped into the system, leads to burnt valves, and potentially burnt out cats, which end up failing and potentially having burn out media from the cats being sucked back into the engine, and causing scarring on the cylinder walls. The best and least expensive (still about $1600-1800 plus install) is JBA headers/Uprev via cajunbpipes.com stage one performance package.

2010 Titan 4x4 CC SE Majestic Blue
Uprev tuned by Seymore, JBA Evol catback, Cajun catless B pipes, Airaid MXP 4" CAI
8" Boston acoustic's sub in Tech12volts ported box w 1000 w renegade amp
Autostart remote start, bedlined OEM wheels, bumpers, and grill. Go Rhino D2 steps.
Retro fit headlights with Xenonvision H1 Hid's and super bright LED reverse lights, blue interior LED's, and white exterior LED's.
Smoke hood shield and in channel window deflectors, Custom grounding kit by FAK.
Pro4X skid plate, 20" double row Cree light bar, rear bumper flushmount Cree LED's
Leer 100R Topper, Goodyear Duratracs 275/70/18,
Dirt King UCA's, 1.5" front spacer, Bilstein 5100's/5125's, 1.5" rear block.
The Following User Says Thank You to FishnAlaska For This Useful Post:
Blevinger (03-05-2017)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Any guidance on how much damage may be already done given the mileage after knowing they were cracked? I'd really like to keep the truck but don't want to put money in it if likely there will be long-term problems related to the cracked manifolds.

Fishnalaska I love the name. I only moved to Green BAy but we do have world class musky, walleye amd smallmouth right off the dock. Big trout and salmon are short drive away (lake Michigan)
The Following User Says Thank You to brodphish For This Useful Post:
FishnAlaska (03-04-2017)
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 08:33 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 2,173 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

Hard to say how much, or if any damage has been done unless you tear it apart, depends on how hard you push the truck (IE drive it like you stole it). Some guys have gone years and thousands of miles without any damage.

I lived up in AK for 10 years, the fishing is out of this world, wish I could live up the for 3 months every year for salmon season.

2010 Titan 4x4 CC SE Majestic Blue
Uprev tuned by Seymore, JBA Evol catback, Cajun catless B pipes, Airaid MXP 4" CAI
8" Boston acoustic's sub in Tech12volts ported box w 1000 w renegade amp
Autostart remote start, bedlined OEM wheels, bumpers, and grill. Go Rhino D2 steps.
Retro fit headlights with Xenonvision H1 Hid's and super bright LED reverse lights, blue interior LED's, and white exterior LED's.
Smoke hood shield and in channel window deflectors, Custom grounding kit by FAK.
Pro4X skid plate, 20" double row Cree light bar, rear bumper flushmount Cree LED's
Leer 100R Topper, Goodyear Duratracs 275/70/18,
Dirt King UCA's, 1.5" front spacer, Bilstein 5100's/5125's, 1.5" rear block.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2017, 11:32 AM

iTrader Score: 5 reviews

If you like the truck, run the JBA/Cajun system and keep it forever.

You'd have to pull the cats to look at any (if at all) busted media coming out. If you really, really wanted some idea of possible (speculative) issues, you could look there.

TOW-4X: '06 KC 4x4 BT
MODS: JBA LT FULL CAJUN TREATMENT/ UpRev VIA SEYMORE, TrueTrac, 08' Brakes, PML diff/tranny, Tranny Bypass Cooler, '08 Shackles, Prodigy, 3 Row Stillen, 08' Springs/5100s, RAS, 18x9 -12 KMC XD Riots

SOLD: '05 CC 4x4 BT PIX
MODS: Icons, 08' Springs/5100s, PML diff, PRG Shackles, B&W Gooseneck Hitch, Prodigy, Airbags, 20x10 BMF Novakanes, Cooper Zeon LTZs
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:06 PM

07 with cracked manifolds as well. Also love fishing. Haven't really enjoyed fishing in CO anywhere near as much as FL but it's still decent.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 07:02 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

You can't go wrong with the Cajun exhaust and tune package, unless your state does the tailpipe sniffer and/or a visual inspection of the exhaust.
If you haven't had a p0420 or p0430 code yet I'd say your cats are still there and working. If you have a cracked manifold that side of the engine will run rich and plug the cat over time. The crack allows air to be pulled in and read by the oxygen sensor, telling the Ecu to add fuel. Once it starts getting plugged up the cat will begin to fall apart. The valve overlap in the VK 56 is enough to actually suck particles into the cylinders. This can cause scarring of the cylinder walls as well as valve and seat damage. It would be a shame to let that happen.

The question is whether you think the truck is worth it or not.

'03 350Z touring, '14 Murano SL, '07 Titan XE CC...Home made axle wrap eliminators, Frontier tranny mount, JBA headers, Cajun catted b's, JBA 40-1400, 3" Vibrant UQ. Uprev tuned by Seymore4.
Say no to cheap beer!...And chrome!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:19 AM

I do not recall them doing a visual inspection in co but some have said otherwise. Cajun says the cats will pass a sniffer test though. I'm getting ready to find out...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Mastermind46 For This Useful Post:
LUBECAKES (04-12-2017)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUBECAKES View Post
You can't go wrong with the Cajun exhaust and tune package, unless your state does the tailpipe sniffer and/or a visual inspection of the exhaust.
If you haven't had a p0420 or p0430 code yet I'd say your cats are still there and working. If you have a cracked manifold that side of the engine will run rich and plug the cat over time. The crack allows air to be pulled in and read by the oxygen sensor, telling the Ecu to add fuel. Once it starts getting plugged up the cat will begin to fall apart. The valve overlap in the VK 56 is enough to actually suck particles into the cylinders. This can cause scarring of the cylinder walls as well as valve and seat damage. It would be a shame to let that happen.

The question is whether you think the truck is worth it or not.
If the cats are slowly getting plugged, wouldn't that in itself throw a code? My buddy's 2006 Armada has had cracked manifolds for years, with no codes that I can detect.

Last edited by thumperpaul; 04-18-2017 at 05:36 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:33 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Plugged cats typically do not set codes, but anything is possible. It's when they break up that you get codes.

'03 350Z touring, '14 Murano SL, '07 Titan XE CC...Home made axle wrap eliminators, Frontier tranny mount, JBA headers, Cajun catted b's, JBA 40-1400, 3" Vibrant UQ. Uprev tuned by Seymore4.
Say no to cheap beer!...And chrome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top