Nissan Titan Forum banner

Engine Oil

26K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  TITANTEC 
#1 ·
Took my 17' Titan (gas) in for her first oil change, as I was leaving I noticed that the dealership used 5W-30 instead of 0W-20 like the book is saying. When asked, they said that's the oil they use for the first oil change. I live in Florida, and obviously the weather is hot here. My question is does this make a big difference or should I go to my local dealership and have 0W – 20 put in?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#2 ·
It sounds like the dealership isn't willing to work with you at all. Shocker. If it were me and my new truck, I'd demand what the manual says. I'm sure the 5w-30 will work and be just fine, but if your book says it takes 0-20, I'd demand 0w-20. Do you have free oil changes as part of a maintenance pakage or something? I imagine the 5w is cheaper than 0w for the dealership too..

Reactions: Indy
#3 ·
I have 2 free ones at my local dealer. I was working out of town and needed to get it done. When I told them, she said, "That's what we use for free oil changes, and didn't realize you didn't buy it here. If you want we can change it but we'll have to charge you."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Good lord. stealership services at its finest. When your "free" oil changes are up you should do them yourself. That way you'll know exactly what is getting fed into your truck. Sorry to hear about your experiences, I'm kinda mad for you!

Reactions: billywtrs
#6 ·
every dealership may be different, with that said 0W-20 is a synthetic, and 5w-30 could be either. the question is did they use bulk dino 5w-30 in your new truck? the OCI would def be different if that were the case.

free oil changes from Nissan aren`t free from the dealership, it all gets charged back to Corp.

our Murano takes 0w-20, but it can take 5w-30 as well. from what "I`m told" it is the cheaper option for folks who don`t want to pay for premium synthetic oil.

now on the other hand, my first oil change was on the house from our dealership bc that`s what they do when you purchase new from them, AND I have other oil change services due from a contract which was still not free, lol...

This dealer did in fact install 0w-20 synthetic. The VQ engines are notorious for start up rattle and I wouldn`t have minded at all if they did use a 5w-30 either way...

#9 ·
This dealer did in fact install 0w-20 synthetic. The VQ engines are notorious for start up rattle and I wouldn`t have minded at all if they did use a 5w-30 either way...
I think the startup rattle days are long gone. They've since made improvements on their tensioners and guides.

If a guy can afford a new Nissan, he can afford 30 bucks worth of oil and filter. There's no excuse for using 30 weight in an engine that calls for 20.

Reactions: Pickle-Smooch
#7 ·
It's best to make sure that if they used 5W-30 that it is full synthetic. Not that synthetic-blend or mix crap.
Otherwise I'd take it back and remand that they use OW-20. Now for myself, I'm running 5W-30 full synthetic Royal Purple motor oil in my 2008 Titan (gasser) in central Florida with no issues. I don't experience any burning or thinning of my oil. I took out 7 quarts today when I did my oil change and replaced it with 7 quarts of the brand I mentioned above.

Now you're obviously at the mercy of the dealership because you need your oil changes documented for warranty claims, so with that being said. DEMAND that they stick to the manufacturer recommendation or that they prove to you that they used full syn 5W-30.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.