Nissan Titan Forum banner

Rear axle seals leaks. Please report.

280K views 820 replies 373 participants last post by  Bran5576 
#1 ·
Anyone who has had the rear axle seals please report the the National Highway Safety Web Site. Mine leaked so bad I was getting some rear diff oil on the rear brakes. This has become a safety issue and needs to be addressed.

Reactions: Chosen
#4 ·
#5 ·
Please if have a leak or had a leak on the rear axle seals, please report. This may help our case should we have seal failure after the warranty expires.

#7 ·
Mine just got repaired 2 weeks ago, both sides and spacers. I guess the spacers are what caused it.

Attachments

#8 ·
damn, yours leaked real bad. or you drove for a while with it leaking :upsidedow

yep im going to have to spray mine down with brake clean tonight after work and then re-check it in a couple days to see whats goin on down there. i cant believe.... well actually no i can believe that the dealer i took it to did not clean up the residual (power nissan. division of autonation aka THE DEVIL.) i work in service at a dodge dealer and the first step to completing a repair is cleaning off ALL residual from fluids so you dont have the customer coming back saying their car is still leaking when it probably isnt.

but its autonation, and i told myself i shouldnt take my truck to them because i know how shady they are, but they are right next door to my work so..... :crying:

#10 ·
i will just do it myself. although i should bring it back to them, i will probably never go to that dealer again. the guy wasnt too bright. you would think after i told him i worked next door that he would park my truck somewhere i couldnt see it.... oh no, he parked it right in my plain sight from my desk. when i called to check the status of it he told me "oh yeah its in the air right now" my response "oh really? because im looking at it right now parked in your back lot" "misslelau
the guy is lucky im in the business and i understand how the survey affects the service advisors and gave him a good survey. i wish i could take it to the dealer i bought it from, but theyre so far out of the way. i cant imagine they are too hard to replace, or cost very much... i guess as long as you have the proper tools to pull the seals..

#11 ·
Wish you luck. I work a couple of dealers for some of the problems I've had. Its been almost 8 months since I've been in though, which is nice. Everything is working fine and the truck is running great. Those seals will go again...I just know it.

#13 ·
My right rear seal was replaced at 55k miles.....if you let your seal leak so long that it got to your brakes, then that's your fault for lack of attention to details.

#14 ·
Mr. B said:
My right rear seal was replaced at 55k miles.....if you let your seal leak so long that it got to your brakes, then that's your fault for lack of attention to details.
No, I think it is Nissan's lack of attention to detail.

#15 ·
Both sides replaced at 18k and 22k respectively.

#16 ·
It's easy for me to see why all of you are having rear end problem. Jacking the truck up, with or without offset wider wheels changes the geometry and puts a BIG strain on the rear end and suspension. The truck was not designed for all these mods, which look neat, but cause big problems down the road.

When I worked for Ford Parts and Service (1962-1995), any geometry changes including wide wheels and tires, or jacked up to the hilt voided the warranty. How can you expect Nissan to cover problems brought on by things you did to mod your truck?

#17 · (Edited)
Herbpov said:
Filed for my Titan's rt. rear seal leak at 37k. Good thing Nissan has a 60,000 mile power train warranty.

You make a good point: "Please if have a leak or had a leak on the rear axle seals, please report. This may help our case should we have seal failure after the warranty expires."

I also mentioned the breather element theory and tubing mod. My complaint doesn't show up yet and there were only 5 complaints under: POWER TRAIN:AXLE ASSEMBLY:AXLE SHAFT:SEAL

#18 · (Edited)
BKW said:
It's easy for me to see why all of you are having rear end problem. Jacking the truck up, with or without offset wider wheels changes the geometry and puts a BIG strain on the rear end and suspension. The truck was not designed for all these mods, which look neat, but cause big problems down the road.

When I worked for Ford Parts and Service (1962-1995), any geometry changes including wide wheels and tires, or jacked up to the hilt voided the warranty. How can you expect Nissan to cover problems brought on by things you did to mod your truck?
My seal was leaking before I added any lift to the rear, only the front was leveled. I run OEM rims, and when I replace the tires I selected the stock size 285/70/17.

There appears to be issues with the design of the breather element, and it affects stock Titans too.

And btw, Nissan gladly replaced mine, and didn't even ask/worry about the new lift. I would guess that is another good reason to buy a Nissan instead of a Ford. Looks like you did, so that says a lot.

#19 ·
BKW said:

didnt do a thing to my truck and they had to replace whole rear axle so think you should get information straight before you assume.

#20 ·
Nissan dealers at least in this area (San Gabriel Valley, Ca) is trying real hard to fix the problems associated with a newly designed vehicle. Outside of brakes on my 05 LE CC, I've experienced no other problems.

So Nissan is going the extra mile for service fixes...take advantage while you can. A problem like this would be a CP (customer pay) item at Ford, GM, or Dodge with mods.

#21 · (Edited)
BKW said:
Nissan dealers at least in this area (San Gabriel Valley, Ca) is trying real hard to fix the problems associated with a newly designed vehicle. Outside of brakes on my 05 LE CC, I've experienced no other problems.

So Nissan is going the extra mile for service fixes...take advantage while you can. A problem like this would be a CP (customer pay) item at Ford, GM, or Dodge with mods.
Well my experiences with Nissan dealership's service departments has always been very good, some of their techs were not hitting home runs, but they tried, and eventually succeeded.

But as Nissan vehicle buyers, we are paying for a 60,000 mile power train warranty. It is not out of the goodness of their hearts that they repair the seals, but out of a contractual obligation. If they didn't do this, many would simply take them to court.

As far as mods, the federal government's Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act clearly states the car manufacturer must prove that the mod caused the issue - an expensive proposition for them to prove this. And what jury would side with the manufacturer anyway. People have been mod'n for decades.

And if Nissan were idiots like apparently [edit: according to you anyway], the big three are, people not wanting to deal with court, would simply wait until the axle drained dry and it would cost Nissan 4x the price of a seal replacement to provide a new axle. It's called a power train warranty and that is what it is.

#22 ·
Why would a Ford guy buy a Titan? Simple...I fit in it. Ford 150's have hard seats, seatbelts mounted on seats on Stupor Cabs...ergonomics not suited for overage BIG person.

Very pleased with all the Titans I've bought (3), and Ford has brake issues too, and the trannies have been a problem since the first E4OD showed up in 1980.

#23 ·
Let's get back to the subject of the thread and just report the leaking seals. Thank you.

#24 ·
BKW said:

im a service advisor at a dodge dealer and i do rear end repairs on lifted trucks under warranty all the time. get over yourself and let this thread run its course.

#25 ·
New rear axle assembly installed today, maybe final fix for seals?

Mileage - 10769 - left rear axle seal leaking, had already installed new finned cover with synthetic oil. Seal replaced.
Mileage - 13022 - left rear axle seal leaking again, dealer replaced seal along with "axle seal sub-housing".
Mileage - 26707 - left axle seal leaking for third time and also "clunk" in drive train. Rear axle assembly replaced. Service rep mentioned wear on spider gears.

Will post this info at nhtsa.dot.gov. Still love this truck, just hope that leaky seals and juddering brakes are a thing of the past. :rolleyes:

#26 ·
milleniamarv said:
New rear axle assembly installed today, maybe final fix for seals?

Mileage - 10769 - left rear axle seal leaking, had already installed new finned cover with synthetic oil. Seal replaced.
Mileage - 13022 - left rear axle seal leaking again, dealer replaced seal along with "axle seal sub-housing".
Mileage - 26707 - left axle seal leaking for third time and also "clunk" in drive train. Rear axle assembly replaced. Service rep mentioned wear on spider gears.

Will post this info at nhtsa.dot.gov. Still love this truck, just hope that leaky seals and juddering brakes are a thing of the past. :rolleyes:
Thank You. Nissan needs to step up and address this problem just like they did the brakes. It may take awhile but we have to keep on the problem. They need a better seal. Needs to be addressed before warranties run out or we will be paying for it out of OUR pockets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.