Issue with 4WD - 4WD Light - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Issue with 4WD - 4WD Light

The past few times I have used 4WD on my '04 CC SE, I have had problems with the 4WD wanting to disengage when I switch back to 2WD. Today, I enaged my 4WD on an icy incline to get better tranction and the icon that shows the wheels engaged to the right of the odometer went blank and the
4WD light came on. I know this light indicates a problem with the 4WD, but it is not blinking, which would indicate an over-heating issue. Once I turned off the truck and restarted, the 4WD light was off and the icon showing the wheels was back on. This actually happened to my twice today...the second time when trying to switch from 4WD to 2WD. I live quite a distance from any Nissan dealer so I thought I would reach out to see if anyone else has had the same issue and what the problem might have been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 02:26 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Issue with 4WD - 4WD Light

I am trying to understand your question, your first sentence is throwing me off.
When you go from 4wd to 2wd the 4wd disengages, this is suppose to happen.
When you go from 2wd to 4wd the icon will blink until 4wd is engaged and they stays solidly lit.
If you go from 4wd to 2wd and it stays blinking then it has not disengaged, drive in reverse for a short distance then drive forward and it should go out. This has to do with transfer case not unlocking. This happens to me from time to time.

Don't know anything about a blinking light indicating overheating??

2005 Titan KC SE ***Sold 9/6/14***
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Deep Water
2005 Titan CC
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Silver

New Ride
2013 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 CC short bed
5.3L LC9 engine
Heavy duty tow package/cooling
4wd
loaded to the gills
mirrors sucks (for now)

2004 Keystone 24RS

---------------------------------------------------
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

I apologize for the confusion...let me clarify. For the past few weeks, the 4WD was not wanting to disengage. As you mentioned, I would have to stop, put it in reverse back up and maybe do this a few times. Then, on the day I mentioned, the 4WD would not engage and the icon would disappear and the 4WD warning light would come on. I had to stop, shift it to park, turn off the engine and wait a few minutes. Once I restarted, the 4WD warning light would go off and the wheel indicator icon would reappear.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 06:39 PM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Not sure of your mileage but it may be time to have your transfer case serviced. Could be the cold weather is giving it fits. This is the down side to electronic shift on the fly 4wd. I wish we could manual lever 4wd shifter.

2005 Titan KC SE ***Sold 9/6/14***
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Deep Water
2005 Titan CC
Big Tow
4x4 SE
Silver

New Ride
2013 Chevy Silverado LT Z71 CC short bed
5.3L LC9 engine
Heavy duty tow package/cooling
4wd
loaded to the gills
mirrors sucks (for now)

2004 Keystone 24RS

---------------------------------------------------
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Got my Titan into the dealer on Monday and it looks like with 54,000 miles I need a whole new transfer case. The service guy said that this is not the first transfer case he has had to replace on the Titan, especially '04s and '05s even with relatively low miles. Thankfully the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty will take care of it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthomp16
Thankfully the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty will take care of it.
You must have an extended warranty. The regular warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles on the powertrain.

"It is not through knowledge, but through experience of the world that we are brought into relation with it."
__Albert Schweitzer

2011 Toyota Tacoma, Super white, access cab, TRD off road pkg., TRD performance exhaust. 20+MPG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top