Transmission Fluid and Filter Change - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Fluid and Filter Change

Just bought an '05 XE CC with about 54 k miles.

I don't know when the transmission fluid has been changed, so I'm thinking that if the fluid looks pretty clean then I'll leave it in, but if it looks dirty then I'll change the fluid and the filter. So far NO issues with the transmission shifting or slipping. Am I thinking correctly?

I've read that the transmission filter is a mesh screen, so is it worth replacing or should I just try to change the transmission fluid? I was thinking of going with the Amsoil ATF.

ALSO, I am thinking of going to synthetic motor oil and wondered: if I used the Amsoil synthetic Absolute Efficiency filter (amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx), but still changed the oil every 7,500 miles if I could not change the filter because the filter is recommended for 25,000 miles (just change the oil). I've never not changed the filter when I changed the oil, so thought I'd get recommendations based on experience with the Amsoil filters.

Thanks!

Last edited by gkoyle; 07-25-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 10:45 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
Re: Transmission Fluid and Filter Change

the rule is that if the fluid is dirty or burnt smelling, not to change it due to the fact that when the fluid gets burnt or real dirty, it becomes gummy and when you change it, the new fluid is too slick and the trans has gummy deposits on the metal surfaces that somehow like the old fluid. if the fluid is not burnt smelling then it's ok to change it. numerous people i know and have been told horror stories of changing burnt smelling trans fluid and then trans slips almost instantlly.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll check for the condition of the fluid before I start changing it.

I've read that the transmission filter is a mesh screen, so is it worth replacing or should I just try to change the transmission fluid? I was thinking of going with the Amsoil ATF.

ALSO, I am thinking of going to synthetic motor oil and wondered: if I used the Amsoil synthetic Absolute Efficiency filter (amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx), but still changed the oil every 7,500 miles if I could not change the filter because the filter is recommended for 25,000 miles (just change the oil). I've never not changed the filter when I changed the oil, so thought I'd get recommendations based on experience with the Amsoil filters.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:21 AM

i would definatlly change the filter if your gonna change fluid. for one, a clogged filter is prob one of the main causes of trans failure. and just to see how much sludge and metal shavings are in pan. if alot of sludge or alot of metal shavings, be prepared for a rebuild.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,231 Posts

There is no filter in the Titan, yes there's a mesh screen that can be clean if necessary.

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Titan/Armada Part Numbers

Frequently asked fuse locations

305.5 WHP, 370.4 ft/lbs tq
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Premium User

Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,709 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoyle
ALSO, I am thinking of going to synthetic motor oil and wondered: if I used the Amsoil synthetic Absolute Efficiency filter (amsoil.com/storefront/eao.aspx), but still changed the oil every 7,500 miles if I could not change the filter because the filter is recommended for 25,000 miles (just change the oil). I've never not changed the filter when I changed the oil, so thought I'd get recommendations based on experience with the Amsoil filters.Thanks!
I run AMSoil EA filter and engine oil. I change both once a year at the same time. I don't put enough miles on my Titan to reach the mileage limit of the oil or the filter.

The way I figure, if you're changing the oil you might as well change the filter.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 8,193 Times in 4,262 Posts

There is no filter.

So what are you going to change?

Clean the screen if necessary, that's all folks!!!!

2004 Titan Smoke LE CC
Born 11/18/03
100,000 + miles

You know, it's always something. . .

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Premium User

Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,709 Posts
Garage
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37L1
There is no filter.

So what are you going to change?
He was also asking about engine oil/filter.

«Granite '07 LE Crew Cab, 4x4, Big Tow, Off-Road, Side Curtain Airbags, Sunroof»
«ClearBra, Leer 100XQ, MM SI9500 Winch, 18" Magnaflow, Berk b-pipes, Volant PowerCore, AMSoil bumper to bumper, Uprev tuned»
«SAW Coilovers and rear shocks, PRG upper control arms and shackles, Hellwig rear sway bar»
Jim aka Bionic Whore
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 8,193 Times in 4,262 Posts

Gotcha.. . . . . .

2004 Titan Smoke LE CC
Born 11/18/03
100,000 + miles

You know, it's always something. . .

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 11:53 AM

iTrader Score: 9 reviews

hm, is it easy to access the screen? I'd like to check mine

05 xe 4x4

Go: aFe stg2, TBS, TB coolant bypass, flowmaster Y pipe w/borla pro XS muffler, BD PP, DT LT headers

Ext: 2.5" leveling kit, Fabtech add-a-leaf, PRG UCAs, SAW Piggybacks in rear 3" body lift, 33x15.5 Swamper TSL/Sx on 16.5x14" Weld mountain crushers polished, ventshades, 5% tint all around, n-fab steps, PRG traction bars

Int: wet okole seat covers front and back, custom 7" screen cut into last fold down pocket of over head console. active 3 way front stage 8" Peerless SLS woofers in doors, 4" xtant XSC/morel mids at a-pillars in glass pods (gloss black painted) and (Blau VC100 rainbow cal25 based) tweets run off an audio art 260.6xe, preamped via arc audio eq

substage always chaging, sundown NSv1, 2.6 cubes @ 38hz single 6" psp port, 1ohm on a single saz-2000d, hoping to change the box to something a little larger and maybe do a kerf port with about 45in^2

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Premium User

Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiianbasshead View Post
hm, is it easy to access the screen? I'd like to check mine
You need to drop the pan.

2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Titan/Armada Part Numbers

Frequently asked fuse locations

305.5 WHP, 370.4 ft/lbs tq
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 03:00 PM

iTrader Score: 9 reviews

yeah, that don't sound like any kinda fun

05 xe 4x4

Go: aFe stg2, TBS, TB coolant bypass, flowmaster Y pipe w/borla pro XS muffler, BD PP, DT LT headers

Ext: 2.5" leveling kit, Fabtech add-a-leaf, PRG UCAs, SAW Piggybacks in rear 3" body lift, 33x15.5 Swamper TSL/Sx on 16.5x14" Weld mountain crushers polished, ventshades, 5% tint all around, n-fab steps, PRG traction bars

Int: wet okole seat covers front and back, custom 7" screen cut into last fold down pocket of over head console. active 3 way front stage 8" Peerless SLS woofers in doors, 4" xtant XSC/morel mids at a-pillars in glass pods (gloss black painted) and (Blau VC100 rainbow cal25 based) tweets run off an audio art 260.6xe, preamped via arc audio eq

substage always chaging, sundown NSv1, 2.6 cubes @ 38hz single 6" psp port, 1ohm on a single saz-2000d, hoping to change the box to something a little larger and maybe do a kerf port with about 45in^2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Nissan Titan Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jump to top