removing (EDR) event data recorder? - Nissan Titan Forum
Titan Engine, Transmission & Drivetrain Technical discussion about the engine, transmission, and drivetrain.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 06:05 AM

iTrader Score: 1 reviews
removing (EDR) event data recorder?

i want to remove or disable the EDR - event data recorder in my 06" titan.

this is a good thing to do if you are ever involved in a accident and you damage some one elses property or severly hurt/kill them. you can be sued and the cops will pull the information off this device and it can severly screw you over. tells them speed, engine revs, if brakes where applied everything.

so how do i disable/remove it?

Mods

2006 crew cab off-road package
prg uca's
Custom Dual Exhaust w/ flowmaster 40
daystar baja bar
Saw coilovers 2.5" of pre-load
2" rear blocks
rear saw's
18x9 4.5" b.s KMC monsters
33x12.5x18 Toyo M/T's
pinch weld
interior lights led's
fugita f-5 intake
bushwacker pocket style flares color matched galaxy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 58,851 Times in 18,407 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Re: removing (EDR) event data recorder?

So you want to make sure that if you are "ever involved in a accident and you damage some one elses property or severly hurt/kill them" you don't want to have to compensate them? You sound like the type of person that may need a data recorder.

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
4,300K Hid Lows, Highs, & Fogs, LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors,
Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads, Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

I love the nights I can't remember with friends I can't forget
#3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:28 AM

do you want someone screwing you over in court when it was clearly their falt? but your EDR says you where going 55 in a 50 so you lose and they win....

it is common practice to remove these from vehicals, ohh yea if ur speeding one day and lets say u hit some black ice spin out total ur car, insurance company pulls the EDR and now they wont honor ur claim on your vehical....wreckless driving..

haveing a EDR is like having a camera recording you every mile u drive..
no one wants that

Mods

prg uca's
daystar baja bar
2" rear blocks
rear saw's
33x12.5x18 Toyo M/T's
pinch weld
interior lights led's
fugita f-5 intake
#4 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 AM

Are you sure the Titan has one??

I gotta say though, after reading your first post, it sounds like you want to do wrong, but not be held accountable.
WELCOME TO AMERICA!!!
#5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Supporting Vendor

Thanked 1,803 Times in 1,144 Posts
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to P's Titan

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkillwill View Post
Are you sure the Titan has one??

I gotta say though, after reading your first post, it sounds like you want to do wrong, but not be held accountable.
WELCOME TO AMERICA!!!
yes they do

Click here for Tips for TitanTalk

my mods list

USE DISCOUNT CODE FOLGER
FOR 10% OFF EVERYDAY @ www.adamspolishes.com

CrankyWhore™
TequilaWhore™
#6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 07:52 AM

iTrader Score: 11 reviews

If the Titan does have one, you cannot remove it. It will be part of the ECU

12 inches of lift brought to you by: PRG, CST, Bilstein, Toyo, Deaver, PA.

Vroom brought to you by: Bullet, K&N, BullyDog, Walker.

Boom brought to you by: Tech 12 Volts, RE Audio, CDT, Sundown.

Member of Patriot Guard Riders - standing for those who stood for US
#7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:05 AM

Thanked 2,860 Times in 1,742 Posts

I've seen a Nissan Tech post information about a Silver Box located down in the bottom inside of our Center Console gear shift area somewhere and if you mess with it be VERY careful, your Airbags WILL Deploy.

Here's a couple of his quotes regarding disassembling the entire Center Console:
Quote:
SAFETY TIP!!!! Before you remove the console, disconnect the battery first and give the airbag system 5 to 10 minutes to bleed off its charge. I have seen to many times a person use power tools to remove the bolts and screws on the center console, or drop the console back down, and set off the curtain airbags. I also saw someone try to take a center punch and dimple a bracket for drilling and set them off.
Quote:
No the Sensing and Diagnostic Unit is located on the floor beneath the console at the back of it. It's about a 5"x5" silver box with 3 yellow plugs going to it. It has the inertia sensors built into it. It will also set off the curtain bags if you unbolt it and turn it over. It thinks you have had a rollover. It's funny to see the look on someones face that turns one over while you are screaming for them to stop. There are a few people I know that get the shakes everytime they have to touch one now, one of them is the guy that was sitting in the drivers seat while the other guy was hitting the bracket with the punch and the driver airbag went off. The little black box mounted beside it is the G-sensor for the VDC. Just follow the safety procedure of disconnecting the battery when removing the center console, and you have nothing to worry about unless you shoot a screw through a harness or something, but that another story.

It's definitely tied into the SRS so if you decide to mess with it, just plan on setting off your Airbags.

Event data recorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Disabling an EDR

An EDR is typically mounted either under a front seat, inside the center console between the seats, or inside the dashboard. It is usually a square-ish box 4-5 inches on a side. It will have a yellow wiring harness plug, as do all airbag system components, and the plug is usually held in place by at least one "lock" to prevent it from coming dislodged inadvertently.

Disconnecting or tampering with the EDR may prevent the airbags from working. An overly simplified explanation of the way the airbags work is that an accelerometer feeds a circuit that activates the crash algorithm if the accelerometer shows a steep deceleration for several cycles in a row. The crash algorithm does various things including activating the airbags.

To disable the memory portion of an EDR there are two options: (Option 1) To disable the interface look for traces or connectors to the open plug on the box. If you cut them the data still exists, but cannot be read without someone finding and repairing the cut. (Option 2) The EEPROM is where the permanent data record is stored. If you disable it no record will be present. This does not affect the operation of the rest of the system which uses RAM as memory. The EEPROM is only used for archiving data for accident analysis--it has no operational function for the car. To disable the EEPROM cut its voltage pin. This is usually the wire on the upper right of the EEPROM. The top of the chip is marked by a half moon indentation. How EEPROMS Work. The voltage wire is marked "Vcc" on a chip pinout.

Note that some states such as New York have laws that make it a misdemeanor to tamper with an EDR. In addition, companies modifying vehicle safety systems face steep fines from NHTSA.

Here's a couple of GM ones:

2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 10-07-2008 at 08:23 AM.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Banned

iTrader Score: 6 reviews

He might gain a few thousandths in the 1/4 by this level of weight reduction.
#9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy365 View Post
He might gain a few thousandths in the 1/4 by this level of weight reduction.
Especially if the Airbags do deploy.

2005 Armada LE 4x4
#10 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Premium User
Nissan Titan Status - Premium Member

Thanked 58,851 Times in 18,407 Posts
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

If you are going 55 in a 50 and get in an accident that is clearly the other persons fault and you have a data recorder, your lawyer will have a much easier time in court then he would under the same conditions except that you have purposely disabled the data recorder.

If you get in an accident and an opposing lawyer finds out that you have gone out of your way to defeat the data recorder he will tear you to shreds.

GingerWhore™ BayWhore™
2011 Blue Steel SL, 2WD, BT, CC, Mods: Go Rhino Dominator II Nerf Bars, OEM Bug Deflector, 15% tint, Nav System Hack,
OEM Ipod Interface, Armada Front Spoiler, Leveled, Firestone Air Bags, Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover, Bully Dog GT,
4,300K Hid Lows, Highs, & Fogs, LED Interior Lights, CSF 3328 Radiator, Brake Performance Drilled & Slotted Rotors,
Wagner ThermoQuiet Pads, Grounding Kit, Rogue Key, Bilstein 5100's on All Four Corners

I love the nights I can't remember with friends I can't forget
The Following User Says Thank You to Quartz For This Useful Post:
TitanBlue (10-07-2008)
#11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
.... If you get in an accident and an opposing lawyer finds out that you have gone out of your way to defeat the data recorder he will tear you to shreds.
Not to mention if it's against state law to disable it. If it's not written in now, there is still potential for it to be written into law by 2011 with them becoming more prominenet.

2005 Armada LE 4x4
#12 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 10:52 AM

most states don't have a law on it. i like haveing the option of deniablility if something happens. i just dont want every driving move i make to be on record. its stupid

Mods

prg uca's
daystar baja bar
2" rear blocks
rear saw's
33x12.5x18 Toyo M/T's
pinch weld
interior lights led's
fugita f-5 intake
#13 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 10:56 AM

Black Box FAQs
Questions and answers about what is happening in the Collision Repair Industry on the event data recorders front
It has been about three years since INSIGHT last featured issues surrounding "event data recorders" (often referred to as "black boxes") in vehicles. Since that time, there has been activity related to EDRs on a number of fronts:

Legislatively, about a half dozen states have passed laws related to access to EDR data, and more than a dozen others are considering such legislation.
EDR data is increasingly being accepted as reliable evidence within court rooms. This past summer, for example, a Massachusetts District Court convicted a driver of misdemeanor motor vehicle homicide in the death of her passenger based in part on EDR data that indicated she was traveling at 58 mph in a 40-mph zone.
On the regulatory front, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is proposing new standards for the content and format of EDR data, and for what information about EDRs that automakers must disclose.
The number of collision repair shops and others equipped to download or "harvest" EDR data has expanded. One company reports having harvesters in 37 states collecting data for 16 different auto insurers.

Mods

prg uca's
daystar baja bar
2" rear blocks
rear saw's
33x12.5x18 Toyo M/T's
pinch weld
interior lights led's
fugita f-5 intake
#14 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLswitch View Post
.... Legislatively, about a half dozen states have passed laws related to access to EDR data, and more than a dozen others are considering such legislation. .....
So, how are you gonna work around this if it does become law in your state?? Are you gonna pull the "It was not Law when I modified it" defense and hope they didn't write a clause that states any malfunctioning devices need to be repaired?? Just curious. I don't like the idea of them either because it's just more BS for the Insurance Companies to deny claims but facing laws against tampering with the SRS system are no picnic either and I can only imagine what the penalties of EDR tampering might come out to be. It might develop grounds for automatic claim denial along with a hefty fine depending on what the state's legislation says.

2005 Armada LE 4x4

Last edited by Pops; 10-07-2008 at 11:20 AM.
#15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Banned

iTrader Score: 6 reviews

His name is killswitch.

Jump to top